X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insight on Where to start?

SO i was given a stock 1975 cj from a farmer I know. It has been sitting in a Barn for 10 years, If I have researched right it has a running 304 that I did basic tune up 2( flashed ran and idled perfect after tinkering) , dana 30 front, amc 20 rear. Brakes are shot all the way around. Wiring is shot. WHere should I start. Basically would like to keep it stock as possible with minor upgrades but want reliable and mild 4x4 trails....... Can u tell if axels are working properly(guts). Need help on starting point. Dont want to replace or fix brakes if axles are or could be shot. I did take on a drive 4 a good 45 min slow and steady and seemed to roll fine, went in and out of 4wheel. Transmission shifted easily. Any help wold be grately appreciated

Post some pics, we'll help ya spend every dime ya got. Should be fun.

Comment

Fluids

Looks like you have a good start if you were able to drive it for 45 minutes, even slowly. I'd change all the drive train fluids, and you can get a good look at what's inside the front and rear pumpkins when you remove the covers to drain the fluids. If they weren't dry, or sitting in a mixture of oil and water chances are they will get you by for a while, at least till you get a handle on the breaks. Speaking of which, change the brake fluid too. Brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water). Check the MC for rust, chances are it's trashed and will need replacement along with your brakes.
      As far as wiring, if it's trashed I wouldn't mess with trying to make repairs, just get a new harness from our host. Centech and Painless are both good kits.

Comment

Yes the mster cylinder is pooched also. The 45 min drive although slow wasn't dependant on the brakes working. Fluid is pretty ugly was counting on all brakes,lines and cylinder being replaced. Iwas expecting universals or something to start causing vibration but they held together for the drive to my place( backroads and trails). Will try and get some pictures up this weekend. Keep u posted and keep the insight coming. Really dont have a starting point yet

Comment

Well, it runs, so the wiring can't be that bad, start with the brakes.

Wiring won't help you stop.

While you are in there, and replacing everything, you may want to put disk brakes on the front, easy swap and a lot of bang for the buck.

Comment

Wiring looks like a rat got into it. No lights all the way arnd. Had to mess with th e wires as it wouldnt flash today. But after moving arnd the current found the path lol. All around u can just look in and see the wire coating is cracked and where the wires are exposed there seems to be a fair amount of corrosion inbetween the strands. Electrical isn't my strong spot. But easier prob then my full size gmc and tht turned out fine. Hope I didn't just jynx myself. K get the pic up soon thanks for the hints so far.

Comment

Get the brakes worked out, then replace with a centech or painless harness don't even mess with the stock harness it will just cause you to go insane.
              Remember..... JEEP= Just Empty Every Pocket

Comment

Painless wiring is any oxymoron, but you will need it sooner or later. I would recommend in this order;

1. Draina dn replace fluids. Don't kill your self on the diffs on the axels. If you can't open them leave them sealed..
                1A. Frame inspections. Get on your back and really tap around with a hammer and awl. You may have some really bad spots you can't see.
                2. Oil, tranny, radiator, battery fluids.
                3. Any other fluids.
                4. Brakes, complete redo. Stopping I think is more important than moving (sometimes).
                5. Post some pic and warm up the credit card!

Comment

If it's a '75 CJ5, with stock axles, the rear axle is probably a dana 44. The gear ratio might be 3.73 to 1.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                  X