X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those who have GM350 in Jeep; Question

A while back I did a total rebuild of my Jeep (I think the link is in my sig) and installed a crate motor GM350. I have been running a carb on the motor since I put the motor in but have decided to change some things... like it choking on steep hills.
    I was wondering if anyone has changed their 350 carb motor out for a EFI? I'm thinking that all I will need is the intake, with all the trimmings, EFI throttle bottle and computer from a 90 model GMC K1500.

Has anyone else done this swap that could give me a little more information about it?

Thanks!

Howell makes a complete throttle body stand alone kit

http://howellefi.com/customer/produc...cat=291&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by softop View Post
      Howell makes a complete throttle body stand alone kit

http://howellefi.com/customer/produc...cat=291&page=1

Thank you sir, but about a grand more than if I get a used one.

Comment

Or this may work!

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...pf_chevy.shtml

Comment

I put a small block with tbi in my heap. The donor vehicle was only $300. Motor only had 30k miles, its not that bad of a job and well worth the time and money. your gunno have to figure out how to run a VSS or what ever the 4 wheel drive vehicles run.I believe its a DRACC sensor,it does roughly the same thing. Dont quote me on this. Good luck you will appreciate its when done

Comment

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND

Comment

Thanks you two!

Comment

The VSS is unnecessary. Simply ground the park/neutral switch lead to the computer and it will run just fine. This makes the computer think you are running in Park or Neutral at all times, so it doesn't look for the VSS signal. Since the feds outlawed the use of the "run Lean mode" on GM TBI engines, the VSS does very little anyway. Even if you don't ground the park switch lead, all it will do is turn on the service engine light, it won't even force it into limp home mode.

If you have the center bolt valve covers, the swap is easy (seen several). the hardest part is separating the engine harness from the body harness, followed by the in tank fuel pump (best and most protected place to put one).

If you are in need of a wiring harness, I think I still have one in the back of the Jeep that I can let go for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by tracraym View Post
                  The VSS is unnecessary. Simply ground the park/neutral switch lead to the computer and it will run just fine. This makes the computer think you are running in Park or Neutral at all times, so it doesn't look for the VSS signal. Since the feds outlawed the use of the "run Lean mode" on GM TBI engines, the VSS does very little anyway. Even if you don't ground the park switch lead, all it will do is turn on the service engine light, it won't even force it into limp home mode.

If you have the center bolt valve covers, the swap is easy (seen several). the hardest part is separating the engine harness from the body harness, followed by the in tank fuel pump (best and most protected place to put one).

If you are in need of a wiring harness, I think I still have one in the back of the Jeep that I can let go for cheap.

I setup a park nutreal switch on the shifter. this way the idle air control valve can can cycle itself when at road speed. If the A.I.C. doesnt get a chance to cycle or reset itself, your going to end up with an idle problem.Mine would idle up arond 800 or 900 all the time until the A.I.C. would reset itself. I found this out the hard way,that is why the V.S.S. is so important.It tells the E.C.M. that the vehicle is not in park or nutreal and it sees MPH with throttle position above an idle for extended periods of time.You can try just grounding the park switch but I think its going to lead to problems. Get yourself a Factory sevice manual wiring diagram and follow it to a tee. Mine runs like the day it rolled of the lot.

Comment

Working...
                  X