X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which wheels?

I've been searching for a set of used tires and wheels, and keep running into the same problems- wheels from what year Dodge or Ford truck will fit a CJ?
    If you've ever asked anyone on Craigslist about bolt pattern and/or backspacing you know why I'm asking.

Your CJ takes a wheel with 5 on 5 and a half bolt pattern and a 3 and three quarter inch back spaceing. I have 5 black steel wheels off of my CJ-5 that will fit perfectly.

Comment

As stated, the bolt pattern is 5 on 5 1/2 with a 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 of backspacing. Anything that will clear your brakes should work fine as far as backspacing. What size tires do you plan to put on it?

Also, what is your budget? Steelies are way cheap. Our host has black steelies starting at 55 bucks new and chromed ProComp steels at 80 bucks. I ran the chrome series 99 and loved them. No blems after 3 years in the desert (think rocks, abrasive sand, hood-deep flooding and chihuahua pee) http://www.4wd.com/WheelFinder.aspx?...rtDir=asc&pg=2

Any4x4 Ford 1/2 ton up to around the late 90's should work. When they did the major redesign in the 96/97, they changed to a six-lug design. Dodge was similar, most any 70's-80's five lug 4x4 wheel should fit. The 4x4 is the important part as the 2wd wheels generally have a smaller diameter hub and won't fit over the front hub flange on a 4x4 front axle.

There is a lot of debate in some circles about lug-centric or hub-centric. If that gets mentioned, don't worry about it because nearly all 4x4 wheels are lug-centric, meaning the wheels index on the lug nuts (the reason they are tapered on the wheel-side of the nut). There was a bit of clearance issue between the hubs of Toyota and Chevrolet, Toyota having a smaller hub. Some folks may bring that up, but to does not apply to Jeep/Ford/Dodge as far as I understand it.

Comment

I'm shooting for 33x12.5x15 tires, and have decided to go with a 10" wheel. Also going low budget to fit the rest of the build. I have come close to ordering the white wagons for 57 each since they look Jeep. I don't remember the chrome Pro-Comps, so I'm gonna go look them up now. Got a line on a set of 15x10 wagon wheels that need bvlasted and painted for 100 bucks, close by, might have to go look.

Comment

I think wagons look better painted something other than white...I hate them in white. Maybe because every freaking truck had them where I grew up. Actually had a set on my Jeep...hated them too. Liked the chromes tho. I think the spokes look good in grey or in gold/bronze with a brown Jeep.

Comment

Well, the jeep is all black, so black is out. Summit has the white for 57. So my budget says white, but chrome/alloys are what I really want. Also found a set of "Hurricanes"- but it's like a 3 hour drive to see them. The ProComps that you mentioned are 100 bucks in a 10". So advise me on a 12.5 tire on a 8" vs 10" wheel........
            I'm gonna keep searching the used market until the money tree blossoms.

Comment

Ooohhh...I like the Hurricane rims. If they are calling them correctly, they are the old school design they used on the General Lee.

Black would look good on a black Jeep I think. Especially if you ran a silver stripe around the rim or such. just something break up the black.

Yeah, the 10" are a lot more than 8" wheels. Seems a bit out of proportion, but I guess it's either less market share so they cost more, or it's a larger share so they charge more.

Comment

Originally posted by 84MSRB View Post
                So advise me on a 12.5 tire on a 8" vs 10" wheel........
                I run a 33" x 12.5" tire on a 10" wide rim and love it... I never had these tires on an 8" rim, so I don't have any real comparison, but I really like the "wide" stance that the 10" wheels give me. The tires stick out past the stock flares about three inches, but I like the wider look and have a set of wider flares that just need to be put on. If you go with the 10" wheels, make sure the backspacing is no less than stock so that you don't have any hard turn tire rub. Mine have between 1/4 and 1/2 inch clearance between the tire and the springs at full turn.

Comment

I'm gonna go with the wagon wheels in Walmart white for now- and I'll save them when I get my MT II's and put some crazy wacko Boggers or LTBs or tractor tires on 'em.
                  That's my current plan anyway.

Comment

Anybody know a ballpark figure for getting a set of four wheels blasted and coated? Found a local place that I still have to call for an estimate. I got no idea how much they might say.

And I'm still gonna check on the Hurricanes- they looked like they needed some work too.

Comment

Working...
                    X