Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift boot

Having trouble finding the right shift boot for my 1975 CJ-5

The original one was a bellows-type with 4 screws to fit this round frame pattern.

This is the only type I could find to fit the round/4-screw pattern and it ripped right away when I used it.

Any suggestions?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../shiftboot.jpg

I used one from our host. Looks the same, just has a bellowed cone section like your t'case boot. Mine ripped too, after 6 months.
    May try a wrecking yard for one out of a pickup or a vinyl one from a zippy-car. I thought about just making one from motorcycle seat fabric.

Comment

Thanks - I'll check that out.

Comment

junk yard worked for me

Comment

mine was the same as the one you have. broke apart in only a few months. ended up putting in a universal boot that is very bellowed and has been great for a few years. think i picked it up at o'reilly.

Comment

I got mine from Omix Ada and it also ripped when I used it. The fix I found was to soak the whole boot in high mileage motor oil overnight. It softens rubberso it doesnt crack or rip.

Comment

If our host reads this, you may discontinue the Omix tranny shift boot. I don't think anyone has been satisfied with that particular piece. Mine looks worse than a 1950's tractor. It's four months old, mostly sitting.

Comment

Call Salvage Jeeps in Statesboro GA 1-912-587-5918 The guys really help you out any any thing or questions

Comment

I have the same Chinese piece of crap on Myrtle. It cracked all up in less than a year and I ordered another one like a dumb@ss. I looked at the new one when it came, through it on the shelf, and said to heck with it. I'm going to do the universal boot like Fremont suggested.

Comment

I have used them and had similiar issues. They are just really stiff. I had success with one boiling it in water, then upon install inverting it so it was pulled up like a cone. That worked better. I have also heard the oil trick.

Comment

That's the problem with the Omix-ada pieces. You just have to expect less than perfect quality from them, but they're the only ones out there producing the early model Jeep replacement pieces. Anytime I place an order that includes Omix parts I plan on having to either take extra special care not to damage the piece while installing it or having to modify it somewhat to get it into a condition that will last more than 5 miles.

Hate to say it but I've had better luck with these kind of pieces by picking up universal items from auto zone, checker or O' rileys and mod them to custom fit my application.
                      Last edited by mdwatkins; 04-30-2010, 12:01 PM.

Comment

http://www.wesellmetalroofing.com/pipe_boot.htm

might work

Comment

Originally posted by scobar View Post
                          Only in a CJ scobar only in a CJ...can you see one of the TJ or JK guys going this route

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only CJ owner that frequents the plumbing supply isles at the local home improvement stores for parts.

Comment

yeah right..........actually I think they would work very well, the base will flex over anything and the rubber boot is designed to hold up to the weather, the only part I'm not sure on is how long they can take the flexing, but for about $15 might be worth a try

Comment

Regular Pipe Boot Flashing . . .

. . . in BLACK . . . Looks like the freakin' ticket. If it'll take roof service, it danged sure won't crap out after six months of shifting.

SCREW the Chineee.

Comment

Working...
                              X