Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Battery Swelling up...... WHY???? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Battery Swelling up...... WHY????

    Ok guys i have a 1977 cj5 with the 304. The other day i noticed that my battery was swelling up. (bulging on the sides). The voltage regulator and the alternator are good. also my volt meter shows 18 volts while im driving. whats the problem? does ANYBODY know?

  • #2
    Shes gonna BLOW........................................! Dosnt sound good.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jeep1977cj5305 View Post
      Ok guys i have a 1977 cj5 with the 304. The other day i noticed that my battery was swelling up. (bulging on the sides). The voltage regulator and the alternator are good. also my volt meter shows 18 volts while im driving. whats the problem? does ANYBODY know?
      How old is the battery? It might be a sign that your battery is on its way out. Have you checked if there is any water in it?? Flip open the caps...

      Comment


      • #4
        your over-charging , (full fielding ) if you have a g.m. alternator , i believe the voltage regulator is internal . when running, you should be about 14.5 volts or so . stop driving it before your battery pops and puts corrosive acid all over your engine compartment !!!

        Comment


        • #5
          i agree with jackson. you are overcharging your battery and it will blow up soon, especially with warmer weather coming up.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yep, 18volts is WAY too much. 14.5v max. You need to check or replace the Alternator/voltage regulator. That battery will blow if you continue to drive it this way.

            Comment


            • #7
              have you fixed it yet? it's getting warm outside, if that battery blows up it'll make a big mess that just keeps getting worse over time.

              Comment


              • #8
                old machines . . .

                Guys, if he has a '77 he likely has an external regulator mounted on the fender well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Had one blow up in my face years ago. Had both hands on it at the time too ! My brothers bogger blazer wouldn't start next to the gas pumps... I noticed the battery was tilted from offroading and went to reposition it.... Kaboom !!! Just like a stick of dynomite. People at the other pumps as well as the cashier fled as I stood there numb and dumbfounded. Loss some hearing for a day or so and stunned my hands a bit, not to mention acid soaked my shoes and jeans. Best of all.... Had to do Battery PMCS that weekend at Army reserves ! Be careful. They do go boom !!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yikes! 18v is waaaaay too much! what is it testing for voltage at the regulator?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      wait for a really hot day and turn it on and hook up some jumper cables - have a fire extinguisher handy and get it on video

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rippin YJ View Post
                        wait for a really hot day and turn it on and hook up some jumper cables - have a fire extinguisher handy and get it on video
                        at least carry a video camera around with ya so you can get the aftermath when it does blow up. which will be in the next two months if my calculations are correct. maybe a live webcam under the hood so the moment can be seen across the world. you could fix it now and go on your merry way, orrr you could fix it when everything is covered in battery acid and be a web superstar like that numa numa guy, or even the star wars kid. not as big as the nunchuk guy knocking himself out while he's doing a flip, lets not get crazy here, i'm just saying big. but i must forewarn, if you decide that internet superstar is the way to go, theres one thing for certain that your gonna need to do. bring baking soda, lots of baking soda.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X