Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (HELP!)Rebuilt engine trouble shooting.

I just got my rebuilt 304 running. Its running rough, I can feel a lack of power. Its got a small miss. I’m not sure how to describe it. . It doesn’t do the big buck when you give it a lot of gas in third, but it’s like continuous little misses. We’ve advanced the timing to get it to run better, but now it doesn’t want to start with out giving it gasI don’t know if this is a carb thing, or if the timing is still off (we tried different timing adjustments for about an hour) I don’t have a light to check it. I do remember that it was a little hard to start(not as bad as it is now) before the rebuild. Everything is new in the engine, but same carb/intake.
    Thanks for the help.
    Todd

If you still have the carter carb get rid of it. I had the the carb rebuilt only to replace it 12 months later. Oh yeah, had to replace the engine along the way becuase it was pouring gas into the engine and flooded #2 and spun the bearing on the way to the dealership. I have the Weber 32 (not the 38/3 and it is running great.

Comment

Originally posted by WVUBlue80CJ
      If you still have the carter carb get rid of it. I had the the carb rebuilt only to replace it 12 months later. Oh yeah, had to replace the engine along the way becuase it was pouring gas into the engine and flooded #2 and spun the bearing on the way to the dealership. I have the Weber 32 (not the 38/3 and it is running great.
      Dude, you need to read, He said 304.
      I would bet it is your timing. They can be a bit of a biatch to get running again.
      Don't forget that it is always a two step process.
      Adjust the timing, adjust the idle. Do one you need to do the other. You need either a timing light or some other bewitching method, I have read a few but haven't tried them yet.
      Don't forget to check the choke setting and make sure they are right.
      I am assuming that you put the timing gears in right. And that you haven't got the distributer in 180 off.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
        The carbs a holley 4160,
        Im my recent checking I think its probubly the timming(Never knew to disconnect vaccume advace to set time)
        Ill try again this weekend
        I never messed much with the idle, Ill look into that also.
        any other ideas still appriciated.
        Todd

Comment

I set my timing with a light after I rebuilt my 304, and wound up getting way too much advance. It had kind of the same symptoms you describe, but it seemed to backfire more, sort of a cough and stall syndrome. I then got fed up and ear timed it while it was running, and I couldn't be happier. easy starts, smooth idle, tons of power. Just get the engine warmed up, then make sure choke is off, and Idle close to right. Be careful of the fan and other rotating parts. twist the distributor whichever way you feel is lucky. If it starts running rougher, go the other way. adjust until a smooth Idle is achieved. shut it off, try restarting, if it fires easily, tighten the bolt down and go have fun. If it doesn't fire easily, adjust slightly back, till you find the compromise sweet spot.

also make sure you are running carb vac and not manifold vac, this made a difference on mine.
          HTH

Comment

AND........

did you get it running yet?

Comment

Sorry to let you down guys, but I didnt get to it over the weekend , Im gonna try again this weekend.
              I will update when I find out something.
              Todd

Comment

mystery miss

Toad,

Run it with no light (in the dark) with the hood up and make sure no fire (electricity) is escaping from a wire or the distributor cap. My apologies if this sounds oversimplified but my dad once had a nightmare ignition situation due to a cracked distributor cap that didn't 'look' cracked. Good luck, blackwater

Comment

Working...
                X