X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-4 Top Cover Removal

How do you remove the top cover on a CJ T-4. I have unbolted it and it is hug on the shaft that goes into the top shifter section if that makes sense. Do I need to drive the roll pin out that connects the sfift rail that goes into the top cover?

Yes, you need to drive out the roll pin that connects the shift shaft to the large metal block inside the extension housing. Once that is done, slide the whole extension housing straight back and you will be able to remove the block and retrieve the roll pin.

Comment

Ok got that done but the cover will lift up more and move around but will still not come off for some reason.

Comment

If I recall, the shift forks are a rather tight fit, and it is necessary to pry the top cover off. May want to see if someone else has any ideas as it has been more than a few years since I have had to mess with my tranny.

Comment

can't remember for sure but i think it has to be in gear to get the shift forks to slide out.

Comment

http://www.scribd.com/doc/23066609/T...Rebuild-Manual

Comment

Ok what happened to my transmission is it was working fine and then all at once it got locked up. I pulled the trans and when I took the top cover off everything looks great.The trans looks like its new.Well in the process of trying to figure out what was wrong I found that on the top cover the **** rail and shift forks seem to be of sync.Not sure how this happened but im having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to fix it.Nothing looks broken.In the manual that joda posted on pages 16,17,18 says how to reassemble it.Well im am a big idiot and while it sounds good without pics I have no idea.Has anyone gone through this before?

Comment

This is my photobucket link: http://s820.photobucket.com/albums/zz122/tjxj4/
                There is two pics of my T-4.The first is the top cover and shift forks. I believe I got them right now.The second is the trans.The only way I can make it turn is in the positions its in the pic.If I push the shift collars foward and back to try to engage a gear it locks up.Any ideas why its doing it? I also believe that the position its in in the pic is actually netural but if so the ouput shaft also turns when I turn the input so im not sure whats up.

Comment

Working...
                X