X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hei distributor

are there still problems with the hei distributor gears eating cams . the last post i saw was from 2008

this is news to me. i'm getting ready to install one. i hope someone has an answer for this one!

Comment

i put a hei in my 74 cj 5 (25 4 years ago an it's runnin fine. the dist cane out of a 86 chevy

Comment

the problem was with AMC v8's and the imported HEI's. been running one of our host's HEI on the son's 258 for a couple years...no problem. the gmc & DUI distrib's never presented a problem

Comment

On V8s you need to shim the dizzy up.

Comment

Only problems I have EVER run into with gears eating each other are when the materials are mis matched, OR the gear mesh (backlash) is to tight. I have run into a HIGH rate of these issues with the cheap $100 dizzys coming in from CHINA. You will not have a problem if you run a DUI or a GM unit. You CANNOT run the standard gear against a billiet (custom aftermarket grind) cams you will need to run a bronze or composite gear. Keith

Comment

Cam Gear

I think it is important to install a new cam gear when you install a new distributor. I dropped a new HEI distributor in my 304 and the cam gear went out quickly. I replaced both gears, put some break in lube on them and never had another problem.

Comment

Originally posted by rolloverlarry View Post
                i put a hei in my 74 cj 5 (25 4 years ago an it's runnin fine. the dist cane out of a 86 chevy
                does a Chevy smallblock hei fit the AMC V8 engine??

Comment

Originally posted by dzltech1 View Post
                  does a Chevy smallblock hei fit the AMC V8 engine??
                  Not without some modification. The distributor shaft has to be machined to fit an AMC V8 engine. There was a guy who used to take GM HEI's and perform this modification, then sell them on ebay, way before all the current aftermarket companies came about. He did a great job, and the GM HEI's performed well.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                  X