X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck in reverse

Hi folks. My CJ8 had been driving very good lately. But then yesterday I was moving it in the driveway, and I got stuck in reverse. My gear shift is total play, not tight at all. I cant get it out of reverse! Thanks for any suggestions. Zman

Push the shifter down to re seat it onto the shift nub on tranny?

Pull the trans cover off, see what the heck went wrong? (it'll probably be pretty obvious) (if it's not obvious ya might have broke the shift forks?) (if that's the case open up the savings account)

Clutch working (got pressure when ya press on it?)?

Just guesses... heck i guess even the transmission could possibly have fallen off the mount etc...

You'll probably have to remove the cover and/or crawl under it and see what is up with it.

Comment

Do you know which trans you have? you may not have to pull the cover plate off, just remove the shifter lever, and re-align the shift forks with a large screwdriver. I have a T177, and occasionally it gets stuck in two gears at once, or second gear. A new shifter might be all you need, but you will probably have to look to make sure.

Comment

Pretty common for a T176/T177. Pull the top cover, move the gears to where the forks can engage them, put it back together.
        A buddy had this same problem in his CJ, he just left the floor plate off when offroading. He could pull the tranny top, move the forks and the gears, and put it back on and drive away in 4 minutes. Problem is worn forks. As said, it tries to go into 2 gears at once, then locks up. Most of the guys I know with the T176 have run ito this.
        The fix is to install new shift forks.

Comment

yep... I have a T-176 and get this occasionally. But I think if you are really carefull and learn the "feel" of the tranny you can avoid this. But if anybody else gets in (three different people have tried in my jeep) they almost immediatly lock it up. I see it as a little bit of a security device. It seems most common when trying to put it into reverse for me too.

As far as getting it out... for me it is more of a pulling up on the shifter while at the same time as rocking the shifter forward, backward, side-to-side, and in circle motions until it "pops" back into place. It helps if there is no pressure on the tranny (meaning you are on a flat surface) although you can still get it out when unlevel... just a little harder.

The fix is to install new shift forks.
          Is this easy to do Lynn? Do you have to remove the tranny or can it be done from just taking off the top cover?

Comment

reverse

I believe I have the T170 4 speed series. And I also think my kids have had a hand in this!
            Z

Comment

You might want to replace the shifter before you go to the expense of replacing the shift forks (much more $$$). Once you get the shifter out of the tower, the top of the shift forks should be in the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions. If not, push the clutch in to release any tension, and move the shift fork tops with a screwdriver into the correct positions, replace with a new shifter, and you might have solved the problem. You can go to extreme and replace the whole cover plate (I did) if you want to, but again, it's a bunch more money than a shifter. If this all fails, you can replace the forks. It's not too tough to do, once you have the cover plate off. The only trick is replacing the complete plate back into the gears, and catching the reverse gear...it can be a pain, but be patient.
              Like mentioned above, learning the "feel" of your trans will help a whole lot in preventing another lock-up. Good advice. I've learned to be slow and deliberate in shifting into reverse, and have not had a problem since. (crossed finger and legs and whatever else I can) It's a little frustrating, but you will get it fixed. Good luck!

Comment

fixed

We aligned the lever slots on the 3 shift rails and replaced the shift lever spring, handle retainer and dust boot. Then a 3" stainless hose clamp around the boot as a safety measure to keep the pins in place. Woody from 4WD made a housecall for me. All is again, well.
                Z

Comment

Originally posted by ZmanCJ8
                  We aligned the lever slots on the 3 shift rails and replaced the shift lever spring, handle retainer and dust boot. Then a 3" stainless hose clamp around the boot as a safety measure to keep the pins in place. Woody from 4WD made a housecall for me. All is again, well.
                  Z
                  thats exactly how it was in my 83 with the t4, i learned how to do it in record time bc it happened a lot.

Comment

I'ts not very expensive to replace the shifter forks unless you get the parts from a Jeep dealer. I did mine 3 or 4 years ago and it only cost about $75 getting the parts from 4WD (dealer wanted well over $400!!). Just take off the shifter plate on top of the tranny and all the forks are located on it. Only take a few minutes since you don't need to remove the tranny. Real easy to do and relatively cheap.

Comment

kit cost

The shift kit from 4WD was $13.

Comment

Working...
                      X