Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To boot or not to boot... that is the question.

Shock boots... do you run with them?

Most research I have done seems to imply that for offroading it is a bad idea. Keeps the mud and dirt and stuff next to the rods. I suppose if you were only on-road it might be ok. But if you go offroad at all... it seems like a bad idea.

Any reason to run with them? I just didn't see the need in buying them if I wasn't going to use them.

Just looking for other opinions.

I have them on the YJ they are kinda lip sealed on the top and zip tied on the bottom.
    I don't think there is to much $hit in there maybe I should look. lol

Comment

Just my opinion. On my old Jeep, I never ran in much mud and water. Mainly rock. No problem. This Jeep sees plenty of mud and water. When I broke a shock, after 3 years on the Jeep, I was surprised at the amount of rust and gunk on the shock when I took the boot off. Needless to say, when I put a new set of shocks on, I left the boots off. The boots are to protect the shock shaft from rock damage and cutting the seal. So itÂ’s your call.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffm3434
        Most research I have done seems to imply that for offroading it is a bad idea. Keeps the mud and dirt and stuff next to the rods. I suppose if you were only on-road it might be ok. But if you go offroad at all... it seems like a bad idea.
        I agree with this.. I ran shock boots with my ranchos and they just ended up disintegrating.. getting all full of mud.. etc. etc..

and I imagine that you get into at least some mud there in NC

-Mel

Comment

I am constanly getting water in the boots for my Rancho RS9000X. I think that if you did a lot of water or mud you would not like the boots.

Comment

Working...
          X