Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
new wiring harness and the oil sending units- guage not working Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new wiring harness and the oil sending units- guage not working

Just put in a new painless harness that only had one wire for the oil sending unit ( the bell shaped one) I also have an electrical oil unit that plugs into the block next to the bell shaped one that has a plug with 2 wires , my gauge is not working and I have no oil light on the speedometer cluster How do I get this all together 1981, 258 I6 4 spd Thanks

the 2 wire unit just below the "bell" oil sender is nothing more than a switch that activates from oil pressure. Your guage will work without that 2 wire switch. Check to see if you have power to the guage and trace the single lead from the guage to the sending "bell" unit just to make sure you are working with the correct wire to the sender. Did the guage work before the wiring switch? I have a stock oil guage, your welcome to have it

Comment

Originally posted by scobar View Post
      the 2 wire unit just below the "bell" oil sender is nothing more than a switch that activates from oil pressure. Your guage will work without that 2 wire switch. Check to see if you have power to the guage and trace the single lead from the guage to the sending "bell" unit just to make sure you are working with the correct wire to the sender. Did the guage work before the wiring switch? I have a stock oil guage, your welcome to have it
      Thanks for the offer I will double check the wiring to the gauge Stand by for the results

Comment

Went through this after a Centec rewire. Replaced gauge, wouldnt work. Replaced sending unit, wouldnt work, someone gave the advice of not putting thread sealant or teflon tape on the threads of the sending unit because it grounds to the block through the threads. Pulled off the teflon tape on the threads and reinstalled. Wouldnt work. Pulled the sending unit and shook it. It rattled. Had bought the last 2 at auto zone. Picked one up from NAPA for a much higher price. Shook it, no rattle, it worked. Adventure over.

Comment

oil sending unit

Originally posted by redtail View Post
          Went through this after a Centec rewire. Replaced gauge, wouldnt work. Replaced sending unit, wouldnt work, someone gave the advice of not putting thread sealant or teflon tape on the threads of the sending unit because it grounds to the block through the threads. Pulled off the teflon tape on the threads and reinstalled. Wouldnt work. Pulled the sending unit and shook it. It rattled. Had bought the last 2 at auto zone. Picked one up from NAPA for a much higher price. Shook it, no rattle, it worked. Adventure over.
          I guess I will try what you did and see Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X