Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member ,new to Jeeping..Help ?????

I don't know what my 1980 CJ5 has for the front and rear diff, axels and drive train. I received the vehicle in pieces and doing a complete frame up. I'm having a hard time try to find diagrams on what parts need to go where and where ther exact placement should be .... any help ?

Thanks
    Lee

This is just a guess, no way of telling what PO did to it before you.

258 I6 4.2L engine
    T-4 transmission
    Dana 300 transfer case
    AMC 20 rear axle
    Dana 30 front

Comment

Yes that is correct. When I picked the jeep up I had an open trailer parts everywhere , nothing labeled. just parts. I have picked up a few manuals like the chilton and a old clymer but I need to know what diif I have in gront and what I have in rear.

Comment

Sounds good to me. Theres a ton of parts it could be. Get a photobucket free account or such and post pics of what you have. We'll be thrilled to help you along.

Be patient with it and go easy. You basically bought a nightmare in a box, but it can be done. Pick up at least a Haynes and Chilton manuals. Theres other books too, but that will get you started. There is a "rebuilder's manual" but it covers one guy's build, so unless you have the hardware he has, it may not be the best bet.

We'll get those parts ID'd and go from there!

Edit: we overlapped posts, so since you have some idea already...but for axles, yes, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear. The rear should have a round cover. Transfer case should be the Dana 300 too.

Comment

I just posted a pice of the trailer and by the pics you can see the mess I'm starting with.

Comment

what I guess I have is:

258 i6 4.2 engine possibly a rebuild
            151 i4 4.0 engine maybe running / maybe not
            dana 30 front, according to the books that I have viewed
            not sure about the rear
            4 inch lift for shackles
            Rough Country shocks new
            4 American racing alloy rims w/33 tires bald
            steel tub (in shop getting holes welded shut)
            no Idea on trans, I beleive it is stock but I really can't tell

I will take some pics but is there a way to find out the style by numbers or codes on the casings ?

No matter what I paid $100 for this jeep and this will be my first time doing anything like this ever so any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks
            Lee

Comment

Number one ya gotta post some pics,alot of great folks on here that will tell ya just what ya got. Where ya at? someone might be willing to drop in and help ya out. I dont see any pics?
              Last edited by redtail; 06-06-2010, 09:28 PM.

Comment

With a 151 c.i. 4 banger, if that was the stock motor (?) you probably have an SR4 transmission (Chevy bolt pattern) Otherwise we still need pics.

Comment

hard to tell much from the pic on your profile page. looks like it will take some time to go through. but for a hundred dollars i dont see how you could go wrong. good luck with your build

Comment

Working...
                  X