X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 302 swap

I have done a search and looked on the web. Just wanting to know if anyone has done the 302 swap. I heard the explorer is a good donor but I am interested in a normal aspirated motor. Leaning toward an A/T. I know this is vague, just trying to gather some information. Thanks

That Ford motor is a very strong and hearty engine. I can't discuss the swap, as I haven't done it, but I have heard of many who have done it and were very happy with it. Why stay with naturally aspirated? If I were to do it over, I think I would have built my engine with TBI. I think you would never regret going injected.

Comment

Rode in a 302 powered CJ-5, the driver had more balls than sense. Scared the crap out of me! I'm with 47 on this one though, FI all the way.

Comment

I had planned a 302 swap before I sold my CJ7. I have found a lot of resources on the swap and it seems the easiest way to go with a 5 speed trans may be to swap the engine and 5 speed from a mid 90's F150 into the CJ. Its a $500 adapter for the trans to the Dana 300. Look for a 93-96 F150 or F250 with the ZF trans. The M5ODR2 was used in F150/Broncos and Econoline vans. Decent trans, but it's a Mazda unit. The R1 version was used in BroncoII's and Explorers. Certain Explorer models with the 5.0 had the same engine as the Mustang GT's, just detuned with different ECU programming and throttle body. Simple tweak for a GT level 5.0.

Check out Novak and Advance Adapters websites for more 302/5.0 swap info.

As it sounds, I agree on the EFI. It's a bit more of a pain installing the harnesses and making sure it works, but once it's in and working, it's easier to troubleshoot (DTC codes tell you what is going wrong and give you a starting point, often detecting problems before they become a bigger problem), its all solid-state making it reliable and robust enough for off-road work when mounted properly...just make sure it's high in the chassis to avoid drowning. Injectors don't suffer bowl slosh, soaked floats, bunged up needle valves, blown power valves and finicky air mixture screws that need re-adjusting every few weeks. A properly set-up EFI engine will gift you better power, better economy, better reliability and can even keep running up-side down (oil pump wont be happy tho!).

Did you know a 302 can be built to crank out 400+ hp? Or that they can be built to spin over 10,000 rpms? Oh yeah!

Oh...and a 351 is only 1 3/4 taller and slightly heavier than the 302 while producing 50-75 more hp and being easier/cheaper to build for big power and torque.

Comment

Thanks for all the information, I am a little bit intimidated when it comes to the EFI. Never have really messed with it. (so I guess it works great when set up right) I'll look into the FI.
          Gryphon I had a 351W in my 66 Bronco it was plenty motor bone stock. Just looking at my options. There seam to be a lot of SBC swaps, I want to do something a little different and I'm a FORD guy at heart

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
            I'm a FORD guy at heart
            Man, I thought you were a Jeep guy at heart.......(

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
              Thanks for all the information, I am a little bit intimidated when it comes to the EFI. Never have really messed with it. (so I guess it works great when set up right) I'll look into the FI.
              Gryphon I had a 351W in my 66 Bronco it was plenty motor bone stock. Just looking at my options. There seam to be a lot of SBC swaps, I want to do something a little different and I'm a FORD guy at heart
              Same here! I also have a bit of a thing against SBC's. I went to a car show and was drooling over some wonderfully built rigs. A beautiful 40's Dodge, a Ford Model A and a slew of other sweet rigs....all with a Chevy 350 in them. Can you say "cliche"? My thought was that if you build a Dodge, use a 318 with 360 heads or something cool like that...and different than a lot of other rigs out there! Easy and cheap too since it's a junkyard drivetrain and 2wd. I would also really consider an AMC V8 as well, but I gotta feed the thing and a Ford gets better mileage from the accounts I've found. (If someone can tell me different, please do! All the 360/390's I've heard of are getting 10-12 mpg. I can pull 20 out of an injected Ford!) Plus, I like the dizzy up front where it's easier to get to and has less mechanical slack! ...ok, and I'm a Ford guy at heart too!

Comment

I have that Ford engine in a Ford and pull 20's for mileage. My 360 fairly well built up is getting close to 9mpg...when the skinny pedal isn't abused.

Comment

Working...
                X