X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing chain

when timng gets bad does the mortor act like it jumped timing ?

yes it does. the easyest way to check is with a timing light. if you check your timing and it appears the timing mark is moving up and down, the chain has stretched and needs replaced.

Comment

I was able to tell on mine by pulling the cap and setting to to TDC. The rotor was about 2 plugs off of where it should be. I wiped out the cam gear due to timing chain slop. You want around 1/2" of play at the most.

What is it doing?

Comment

The easiest way to dianose this problem is to check it by a timing light, might need some great diagnostics.

Comment

i was thinking of changing my timing chain but i am wondering if a set of timing gears would be a beter choice to put in! Anyone agree or disagree?

Comment

Always change gear set and timing chain, you really don't want to go in there twice!

Comment

Originally posted by Intuit View Post
              Always change gear set and timing chain, you really don't want to go in there twice!
              when i say gear set i mean the replacement that does away with the chain and is a all gear set like the ones used in racing.

Comment

Now that might be way cool....

Comment

do they make such an animal for the 258? The 304 and 360 may not be a problem.

Comment

I've been looking for the set for the 304 and havent found them yet. I don't know if they have them for the smaller engines i just know that i found the set for the big block 383 in my charger.

Comment

buy a true roller chain set and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by padre View Post
                        when timng gets bad does the mortor act like it jumped timing ?
                        Parde,
                        I agree with Seejay, but your sig says "rebuilt 258" that usually means a new chain, how long ago was the build. You may have other issues, but a timing light ck is quick and easy

Comment

They do make them but they run around 400. I was going to run it in my 401 but didnt want to spend that amount just to make noise.

Comment

I went with Edelbrocks set and it works great.
                            my $0.02

Comment

Working...
                            X