X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one or two vs 2 or 3 to get it cool

I'm talking cooling fans vs number of tubes in the radiator. I have the stock radiator (2 tube) with a upgraded 7 blade fan. I still get a little warm 195+ at high speeds. I think maybe the winch blocks out the air flow. Anyways I want to upgrade the cooling system.

Woul you recommend one electric fan or a dual fan set up? My second question is adding anther row of tubes to the radiator for a total of 3 worth the expence. My goal is to try and get the temperature to around a 180ish. I did notice that the 7 blade fan sucks some HP so I want to do away with that as well.

What Temp. thermostat do ya have?

Comment

I swapped mine out to a 3 row radiator a few years ago when I had my radiator give up the ghost. It helped. The only problem is that there is less space between the radiator core and the accesories on the front of my motor. When I switched to an electric fan this hindered my quite a bit. However, having a 2 row radiator only gives a little more room. It would have made things a little easier. I would not get a 2 row radiator for that reason.

If you choose to go electic, look at a Volvo fan. It is basically a Ford Taurus fan. It has all of the relays and everything with it mounted to the shroud so you can get it all from the junkyard. I also noticed the volvo's in the junkyard are typically in far better condition than the Taraus' I came across. Most of the time I find a late 90's volvo that was some retired persons and had around 100k or less. They get in a wreck and are totalled because the parts are $$ and the value of the car is low. I think I did a write up here somewhere here when I did the swap. I will look and see if I can find it and post a link for you.

All of this said, I think Redtail is on the right track. Start with the simple things. Those little things can make a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by redtail View Post
        What Temp. thermostat do ya have?
        I actually don't know, yes that would be the best palce to start with changing to a 160*. I am going to guess it is a 180 because that is as low as I have seen it go after warmed up.

Comment

dual fan set up

Comment

1 or 2 only matters if you get more CFM.
            you can fit a pretty tall fan in there so read the specs to see CFM and power comsumtion.

Comment

did a little research and the stock thermostat is a 192* that's were I am plus some. To me that's too hot, this is only a summer ride (no heater needed) so any problems by trying a 160* thermostat, assuming it runs around that temp then?

As it is today when cold I need no chock and it starts with a click of the key and runs good.
              Last edited by scobar; 07-07-2010, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Should be no real problems with a lower temp stat. It may take a bit longer to warm up, but as a summer ride, shouldn't be a prob i think.

Comment

I run the dual Flex Fans with an adjustable temp control. They hardly ever run unless its really hot out. Stock radiator with the 258. Ya might require a higher output alt. to make up for the juice they draw. I run the 140 powermaster and have plenty of juice with everything going. Fans are a bit noisy. Think I read somewhere that running too cold affects engine performance?
                  Last edited by redtail; 07-07-2010, 11:07 PM.

Comment

What's your radiator material? If you're running a brass one, a switch to aluminum will be a big improvement. You can cool better with a 2 core aluminum radiator than a 3 or 4 core brass one. You can also try some additives like water wetter http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10 or purple ice http://www.royalpurple.com/radiator-additive.html.
                    Last edited by NOCHEEPGAS; 07-07-2010, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Ran across this tonight,http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/14_...utomobiles.htm
                      Great 3 in the morning reading.

Comment

Nocheep, the rad is original brass 2 tube in excellent shape so I'm a little hesitate to spend for a aluminum right now. I was looking at the royalpurple additive and will give that a try with changing the thermostat down to a 160*

Redtail, I agree with you on performance with lower running temperture. I'm hoping putting in the 160* stat will still run in the 170-180 range which would be perfect. I'm going to do this t-stat change over the week end. If not much improvement then I'll have to weigh between fans $300 or aluminum rad $500. I have a friend that owns a junk yard so maybe I'll start with the taurus or volvo fan option.

I am wondering a little about a timing issue (i have no timing light) as I time it by ear. If it gets hot at higher PRM and load (4th gear) is the timing too far advanced or to far retarded? I haven't touched timing yet since I got it running last fall

Comment

I cannot find if I did a write up of the cooling fan here. My work filter blocks the search function for this page. Here is a link to another site where I was able to search and find it.

http://www.ucora.org/forum_ucora3/vi...hp?f=17&t=4618

Also, if you are thinking of going to an aluminum radiator. I would consider this place. It is much cheaper.

http://www.genesisautoparts.com/all_...eries-1981.htm

Comment

Guys, I don't think he's running too hot to start with. If 195 is as high as it's getting in this heat, Scobar, you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater View Post
                              Guys, I don't think he's running too hot to start with. If 195 is as high as it's getting in this heat, Scobar, you're good to go.
                              blackwater, now you got me thinking, but I just ran out a spent $8 on a t-stat so I'm going chuck it in and see what happens.

and your right with the heat were 85-90

Comment

Working...
                              X