X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distributor

would a water logged distributor cause no spark at the plugs? i washed my motor today and i think i water logged it, coil was bad so i replaced and still no bueno...i spray wd-40 in there and am letting it dry out over night before i try again, but wanted to know if this was a possibility

Do you have the HEI (?) distributor? I had the same problem yesterday with my brother-in-laws CJ. I had just washed the engine about an hr before, driven it about 10 min, and went to start it after sitting for about 5 min. There was initially moisture in the cap, and I thought that was what it was. It turned out to be the spark module (I think thats what it's called) inside the distributor. It is the piece that tells the coil when to fire. It was about $30 to replace. I luckily was at a friend of mine's mechanic shop when it happened and he had all the stuff to test stuff. If it is not the coil, that would be the next thing to replace if you don't have a way to test it.

Comment

yeah taht is what i was thinking, i bought a new coil cause they test my old one and said it was bad, but still not working...yes it is HEI, its an MSD Pro Billet

Comment

It's called an ignition module. Easy fix. Been there several times. That is usually the weak link in an HEI dist. And if you coil was bad, it probably cooked the module. Good Luck. Oh, and for the price, I always carried a spare. It sucks to get stranded by such a small part. Will.

Comment

yes i know what the module is and what it does, i was just hoping i got lucky, and for the price? lol, modules for the pro billet are about 80$ each...i am gonna have to save up and buy the rebuilt kit cause i think it needs a new cap anyways (slight carbon streking) and the rebuild come with module, rotor, cap, and coil.

Comment

Ouch, 80 bucks eh? Stupid aftermarket companies!

Comment

Originally posted by willness33
              It's called an ignition module...
              Yea, that's what I was thinking of. Just could not remember it.
              Last edited by Blupupher; 04-22-2005, 11:17 PM.

Comment

yeah man, everything aftermarket is 5 time more that stock...haha, thats casue they know that they can get away with it

Comment

Working...
                X