X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang thing won't stay runnin.

86 CJ with a 258. DUI ignition and a Howell throttle body injection. Start it up, runs fine for about 5 seconds, 1200 rpm, tach starts to swing all over the place but sounds like the engine speed dosn't change, then it stalls. Cleaned the rotor, cap contacts and tach hookup, no change? Any ideas guys? I'm thinking new fuel filter, Old Bronco of mine acted the same way and found the fuel filter plugged with rust. Then change out the cap, rotor and control modgule. The check engine light stays off so I'm thinking the throttle body injection system is OK. All you guys that been in hiding the last six months pipe up, I'd do it for you. Ignition coil?
    Last edited by redtail; 07-22-2010, 07:24 PM.

I'm thinking electrical issue. How old is the coil? Ignition? ... but, a fuel filter is cheaper and easier. Not real familiar with '86, is it an electric or mechanical fuel pump?

Comment

I am going with electrical as well.
      check your sensors out as well as tracking the dist on back.
      good luck

Comment

After sleeping on the problem last night, decided to call DUI distributors. Great Tech. help. Their opinion was the control module was going bad in the Distributor. Picked up a new one from NAPA and threw it in, BINGO, problem solved. Just a tip, always mark the #1 spark plug wire on your Dist. cap before pulling the wires off. I didn't, added an extra hour to the repair. BIG thankyou to DUI.

Comment

Glad it's fixed Red. Figured something like that since everything is new on your rig.

Comment

Working...
          X