X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.0l into a CJ5

I have heard a rumor that a 5.0l will fit nicely. I know it works better in the CJ7, cause it also has the T5 transmission that the Ford Mustang is still using to this day. Any knowledge you can give would be helpful....much like how the power steering will go from stock to the 5.0l. I reason that new motor mounts, radiator hoses and a inline fuel pump and filter. May have to put an electric fan in instead of the clutch fan. Still have the original T176 tremec transmission in it right now, hopefully it will bolt up w/ an adapter or nothing. Thanks.

5.0's are garbage...Don't waste your time. 5.0's blow in stock vehicles all the time, couldn't imagine in a vehicle like a Jeep.

Comment

Dude wait what?
      the 304 is a 5L. why not go 360 or 390 if you are going to all the work?

Comment

No....Older is fine...Newer 5.0= Junk

Comment

maybe I'm thinking of the 6.0L, i think that was it..Junk..

Comment

i know alot of people who are unimpressed with a 5L in their yj's, my 4.7L stroker has more power than the 5L does. i second the 360 option. much better engine.

Comment

I agree the 360 has more poop but I do like the 304 in mine since the rebuild.
              lots of power for a little jeep.

Comment

i do have a 4.0L thats supposed to drop right on in and has the comp and sensors.....the flywheel and the starter....everything to drop in and go. if i go with the bigger motors wouldn't i have to worry about the transmission not holding up?

Comment

The Ford 302/5.0 engines are good, solid mills. they can be built to astounding power levels for their displacement and can be built to rev quite high (near 10,000 rpms!!!)...but it takes a lot of cash.

The Jeep T5 used bushings instead of bearings, softer metals, just overall cheaper...it is the light-duty version designed for cars like the Chevette, not the World-Class T5 that uses bearings, harder metals, stronger case bosses and is found in Mustangs and Cameros.

A stock 302 of the right vintage is an excellent Jeep engine. Some years they were smogged worse than others. Depending upon your intended wheeling style and your local smog laws (and impending laws?) it really depends on what engine would do you best. An older 302 block with smoothed heads and Edelbrock intake and 650 cfm carb with some headers should give you plenty of power for a Jeep. If you want EFI, do the same port-matching and look for a F150 or Bronco engine from the early 90's. Hit up wikipedia and the F150/Bronco forums for more engine info.

Don't overlook a truck-sourced 351. The Windsor small-block 351's are only and inch and a half taller than the 302 and the same width and length, but offer a lot more power stock and really respond to simple build-up mods (intake, exhaust and port matching).

I had looked at this swap for a CJ7 and had decided on an early 90's F-150 or F250 351(w) with the Getrag 5 speed manual. That range had the best balance of power, efi, availability and swap-ability. It's pre OBDII, OBD1 being easier to swap over and it's backwards compatible to a carb if you really wanted to (I'd keep the EFI myself!)
                  It's cheaper to mate the Ford-issue 5 speed to the Dana 300 than it is to make a Jeep T5 live behind a V8. $500 bucks for an adapter vs $2500 for a World-Class T5 rebuilt trans. The Jeep unit cannot be converted to be a WC T5...the internal bearings are different. You can source a WC T5 from a Mustang and get it converted to a 4x4 tailshaft cheaper than buying one. I've talked to Mustang shops who will swap a Jeep T5 tail into a WC Mustang T5, but again, 2500 bucks rebuilt vs a good used Getrag with a low first gear and matched to the 351's power curves for 200 bucks +/- over the cost of the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskanbadfish View Post
                    maybe I'm thinking of the 6.0L, i think that was it..Junk..
                    I know the 6.0 Powerstorke engines have issues. Good engine, but various systems make them overly fragile

Comment

Originally posted by Ratman View Post
                      I agree the 360 has more poop but I do like the 304 in mine since the rebuild.
                      lots of power for a little jeep.
                      I am with you here Marc, the 304 is normally plenty and I love mine after the rebuild better than before, it's much stronger and not even really BUILT, just some minor mods like intake manifold and carb and headers

Comment

Had to pull an entire engine to replace an oil pan gasket on a 6.0L, they are crap for the mechanic, plus after the new oil pan gasket, found out the engine was smoked, and it was a 2008 with 15,000 miles, they are such garbage.

Comment

The 6.0 Powerstroke has a poorly designed EGR and cooling system. There is an air tube of some kind that affects the exhaust temps too. By cleaning up the factory mess with the cooling, intake/turbo and the EGR system (I don't recall the full specs right now) it is supposed to really pick up the reliability of the engine. Four Wheeler magazine did a couple write-ups recently on how to fix them...but that is a big diesel that's not really practical in a little Jeep...tho there is that guy who stuffed on in his CJ7...an AMAZING rig!

I still want to stuff a 351 in one myself though...with about 400 horse....yeah, I like overkill....if I could freak out ricers at stoplights with 110 hp, imagine what 400 can do!!!! BUWUHAHAHA!!!!

Comment

We just got a 2011 Ford diesel in at work, get this, you have to add diesel exhaust fluid at each oil change, and if you run out it goes into limp mode. Diesel exhaust fluid, really? WTF

Comment

i dropped a 350 in mine and it was absolutely NASTY. That thing would spin all four tires and then when it did hook up the front end came off the ground. AWESOME. but by the way, change from two piece axles to one piece axles. i went through a couple before i finally broke down and did it.

Comment

Working...
                              X