X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 CJ Aluminum Valve Cover

Does anyone know where I can find an aluminum valve cover for a 1980 CJ5 258? My original cover is steel. I can find a replacemnent for a 1980 with original plastic, but not steel. I don't know what the difference is other than the plastic dosen't have all the holes drilled and tapped.

Any Help? B

Our host here carries them. They have more than one. Here is an example of one of them

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=9556

Comment

Unfortunately, the instructions for these covers state “This will not fit 1964-1980 232 or 4.2L (25 engines that use a steel valve cover. THIS VALVE COVER IS DESIGNED TO REPLACE THE 1981-1986 PLASTIC 4.2L (25 VALVE COVER ONLY.”

I looked high and low and can’t find one that states it will replace a 1980 steel cover.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I wonder if someone on here has used one or attempted and can explain the differences.

Comment

That is kinda wierd. What's the difference?

Comment

Well the shape of the head and the mounting is totally different. I swapped an 86 motor for a 78 on my CJ and just looked at the differences and they weren't close.

Comment

Learn something new every day.

Comment

I was pretty sure Clifford Performance made one, but don't see it in theor on-line catalog, but it has a picture of one. You might give them a call.

Clifford Performance Products Inc.
                22850 Sheffield Crt.

Wildomar, CA. 92595

Customer Service hours are:
                9 am to 5:00pm, PST Mon. through Thurs.
                9 am to 4:30pm, PST Fri.
                Closed on Saturday and Sunday

Toll Free 888-471-1161
                Phone 1-951-471-1161
                Fax 1-951-471-0993

E-Mail for Tech
                [email]sales@cliffordperformance.net[/email
                ]
                Last edited by NOCHEEPGAS; 09-14-2010, 03:51 PM.

Comment

At one point I had 5 258s here.PLEASE DON'T ASK WHY! The older (79 and earlier?) heads are heavier and use 1/2" head bolts and metal valve covers, then the plastic covers started. they have 7/16 head bolts. Then the YJ 4.2s come along w/ factory aluminum valve covers and 7/16 head bolts. None of the three interchange valve covers.

Is there something wrong with your steel one or are you wanting to dress it up?

Comment

i've seen steel replacements at one point in one of the jeep part catalogs, as far as fancier ones - Clifford is the only place i've seen them online recently - although a guy in town here has one from "west coast CJ's" or West Coast Offroad.. something along those lines that i can't find online.
                    stay away from the chromed ones sold on fleabay. they look right, and bolt up but the insides aren't big enough - interference

Comment

Working...
                    X