X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball Joint Help

How involved is it to change the ball joints on a cj? They are pressed in. Is it worth doing it yourself or should I just take it to a shop? I've always done everything on the jeep myself but this seems like it could be complicated. Please chime in if you have some experience here!

I wouldn't do it myself because the ball joints affect the front end alignment and you would have to take it to a shop to have it aligned after replacing them anyway.

Comment

ball joints on a cj are not that hard to do... if you have the right tools. that said if you have the $$$ let someone else do it. watch em if you can so you'll know how to do it next time around. i learned the hard way the first time i did a set. needed em done and was broke....

Comment

Junker, it sounds like my story . . . I think I'm just gonna get the tool kit from advanced auto parts and do it myself. the crap of it is that I just changed the wheel bearings two weeks ago, thinking that was the problem, and already had everything torn down. sucks.

Comment

yep...do them yourself, they're not that difficult to do. No need to pay someone else big bucks for the labor when you can easily do it yourself. True you have to take it to someone to have it aligned but that's a small cost compared to what you're gonna pay to have them do it for you.

Comment

Well, I replaced the springs, tie rods, and steering stabilizer, not to mention new wheels and tires. I need to get it aligned anyway. That's how I keep finding all these problems to fix.

Comment

it will get to where you can tear the whole thing apart and put it back togeather without a thought. the cj in my avitar belongs to my 16 yr old son. he has done all his own work on it for the past 2 yrs. i'd buy a manual and go for it. they are simple to work on. didnt have to get his realigned the last time we replaced balljoints (got lucky i guess). we replaced balljoints while we had it apart to upgrade to 6 bolt hubs. he kept shattering the 5 bolt.

Comment

Need some help. I have pulled the wheel hub off repeatedly and have run out of time to tear in further. Now I can't get the axle hub off the yolk. Is there some sort of trick here or do I just need to get some good chisels? They've been on since the jeep was built, so there's almost thirty years of stickem on there. Been spraying pblaster on there for hours and still no budge.

Comment

Torch?

Comment

Could be. I've still been saturating it with pblaster and I'm gonna try a chisel next.

Comment

Do it yourself, it is not difficult to do and gives you the opportunity to replace the caged bearing in the spindle. I had to buy a hub socket for the CJ but the ball joint sleeve adjuster uses the same tool as the dana 44's. And if pounding the ball joints out and in bothers you you can always take the knuckles to a shop or buddy's place and use a press. It is really a no brainer job, just have to remember to set the adjustable collar properly.

Those spindles can be a real pain to get off. I use a blunt end in my air hammer and hit it all over hoping to get some vibration going. DO NOT hit the bearing surfaces
                      Last edited by Play400; 11-27-2010, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Whoop! Alright, I finally got that pesky spindle off the yolk! It took me several hours of pounding with cold chisels, a lot of Blaster, and some heat, but it finally gave it up! The ball joints are now changed on the drivers side, and I am relieved! And I'm glad I decided to pull it all down, because when I pulled the axle, the axle u-joint was seized up on one pivot side! Luckily I had decided from the beginning to replace all the moving parts, so I had them all on hand. Changed all the seals and the spindle bearing, and it all went back together like a dream! Now it drives completely different. All the jeepiness that I had grown accustomed to is now tight and responsive. I guess you really need to replace those things more often than every thirty years. But you can't say I didn't get my money's worth!

Comment

btw. I just used the old thread inserts on the upper ball joint. I didn't know where it was supposed to be positioned, so I figured the stock settings would be safer. Did I screw up big time? I would like to know because I still have one side to go, and I could actually go back in and adjust the other ball joint. Let me know.

Comment

Working...
                          X