X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d.u.i. distrubuter opinions

hey guys ! any opinions on the davis unified ignition(d.u.i.) all in one distributer ? i really like the way it will make the engine compartment look , but have not heard to much about quality or reliability , this is a 79 with a 304 , any thoughts ...

I have the GM HEI distributor in my 304 and I love it. One wire to it and thats it!

Comment

In my opinion, I would go with the TFI upgrade. cheaper, and better than HEI, just a minor wire change at the coil, and use the factory dizzy and brain box.

Comment

dang double post!
        Last edited by 79cj7duner; 04-24-2005, 02:01 PM. Reason: dp

Comment

thanks for the input guys ..... anybody else ?

Comment

my HEI's cost $99 plus shipping. i bought one for my jeep and one for my truck. very nice and would recommend it. 50000 volt coil gives a hot spark and it's so easy to install. DUI is just a brand of HEI, there are others out there or you can google for instructions on how to make your own from a stock GM HEI.

Comment

Decisions, decisions

Jackson,

It takes a minute to get through this site but I found it very helpful. I posted the HEI/TFI question but have gotten very little feedback. I suspect this might be a land of darkness that has been little traveled. One guy says HEI, the other TFI. As FUBAR pointed out, HEI and Davis are virtually identical ignition formats. It would seem the superior ignition system available to us at this point is manufactured by MDS, (the '6' series) which is a capacitance based system as opposed to the traditional inductive style. You need to weigh current engine performance against whether or not you plan to get into any serious horsepower mods (Hi rpms) in the future. The MDS system ain't cheap and the other two sound as if they'll perform quite nicely for the 'average' Jeeper. (If there is such a thing.) I stumbled upon some rather disturbing links with regard to TFI reliability while researching this 'unknown territory' but unearthed no complaints regarding HEI reliability. Which is not to say they aren't out there. I was completely in the dark to ignition possibilities. I now know enough to get thoroughly slapped so do your own research until you're satisfied. The guy that wrote the modification letter on the following site is definitely NOT in the dark. Good luck with your fire. blackwater

http://www.ifsja.org/tech/electrical...nupgrade.shtml

Comment

Working...
              X