X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sr4 tranny problems

Alrighty my problem is simple. My sr4 is just bout dead and i would like some info on what to do. I know the sr4 is pretty weak stuff. My cj7 is powered by the good old straight six and my 81cj7 is not a built rig. It is a restoration project but i want it to be fairly stong incase i want to play some. SO my question is this...what can i basically bolt in place of the sr4...i have heard that the t-5 would bolt in...is this true i would love a decent little 5spd to cruise around with. Just keep in mind that i dont have the funds to do some sort of wild swap. If i cant get something to bolt in i will just have to deal with rebuilding the sr4. Any help would be great guys.

the t-5 is also a weak tranny so if you're looking for an "upgrade" that's not the way to go. keep in mind there are two different t-5's. world class and non world class. jeeps came with the cheaper non world class. if you can get a world class that has the correct input shaft, that would be the best of both worlds for you (5 spd and stronger and a bolt in).

Comment

Fubar, what was the "world class" T5 made for, meaning where can they be found?

Comment

Originally posted by spelunker
        Fubar, what was the "world class" T5 made for, meaning where can they be found?
        Fox-body Mustangs is one place...

Comment

they were used in mustangs and many other light duty trucks. a friend had a cobra that had one in it and he was running some ungodly amount of horse power. but the mustang has a different input shaft than the jeep version. there's a few companies that sell them built specifically for swapping into jeeps. i don't remember the names of the companies but if you do a google or yahoo search you can find them like i did.

EDIT: just looked in my bookmarks and had this in there
          http://www.5speeds.com/t5/jeep.html

then i read the site and they no longer offer the jeep t-5 so go figure. they're out there though, you just have to find them.
          Last edited by FUBAR; 04-25-2005, 08:29 AM.

Comment

My T5 needed to be replaced. I tried buying one of the World Class T5s from the link FUBAR gave you. I ran into the same problem, they are having trouble getting the internal parts at a reasonable price and they can't get the rear transmission case anymore. I just finished installing an NV3550. This is a good upgrade but is more expensive than just a rebuild.

Comment

Scott82CJ7, did you ask any tranny shops if they could rebuild your nwc t5 to wc t5 specs? i've heard it that it can and can't be done. the tremec is also a great tranny that i've "heard" will bolt in to t5 apps.
              Last edited by FUBAR; 04-25-2005, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I wanted more than a "rebuild". I was looking for a new tranny, or a "remanufactured" where all the internals are replaced. I couldn't find a new or remanufactured WC unit with the correct input shaft. I also received mixed answers from the tranny shops in my area. Couldn't get a clear answer on cost and list of parts they would replace. Since I might go to a V* in the future (I have a 25, I decided to go with the NV3550.

Comment

Working...
                X