X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't go forward!!!

85 CJ7 - The rear tires have "stuck" after sitting for a while. I attributed it to rebuilding the brakes, the drums went back on REAL tight with new shoes and all. After backing up a little ways and driving a few hundred feet they free up. I never worried about it too much as I just get the thing running to fix another thing.
    The new problem is that the right rear tire is stuck when going forward. The jeep backs up fine, but that tire completely locks up going forward. There is a clunk you can hear and feel when that tire drags. I jacked it up to see how much I can spin the wheel by hand with the same results. I can spin it backwards, but after a small turn forward it will lock up. No one here to help me spin the tire while I listen where exactly the "clunk" is coming from, but I can kind hear it coming from deeper in the axle. I am pretty sure something is dorked up in the diff at this point, just want to see if anyone out there has any bright ideas about what it could be and how crazy of a fix it is going to be. Thanks

If ya just did a rear brake job, thats the first place to start. I would start by backing the brake shoes off using the adjustment star wheel on the back of the brake drum.

Comment

Might have axle or wheel bearing problems, my wheel bearing went bad (blew) while going 80 MPH and there was an "explosion" sound back there, and the same symptoms you where explaining lots of noise after. Lift the rear up and grab the top and bottom of the tire and shake it back and forth, should have barely no movement, if it's sloppy you got issues.

Comment

Either way, you need to pull the wheel to check it out. Yank the wheel and check the brakes. Like red said, back off the shoes. Then turn the hub without the drum on it to see if the clunk is still there. If so, you are right at the next step for pulling the axle and checking the diff.

Comment

Thanks for the help........it magically came "unstuck" while I was playing with it. Will still check it out until I find something causing the problem. I think it heard me talking about selling it so it decided to work.

Comment

I would still pull the wheel and brake drum. If somthing is loose or broken it will show its ugly head again.

Comment

Working...
            X