X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some direction.

I am looking into sorting out my suspension and looking for suggestions.

Right now I have skyjacker 8000 shocks don't know what the springs are.
    i am getting about 3 1/2" of travel (only if i use a jack) there is very little movement if i am driving. Feels like the axles are welded to the frame.
    I don't want to put a tone of money in to it and would like to get another 2"/3" in ride hight. but the main thing is to get a smoother ride. (yes i understand that its a Jeep) but there is very little flex right now.

there is a "kit" that I found for around 550.00 CAD note sure what make comes with shocks and all but I'm not sure what the ride will be like.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated

Thats really tough to say without know what you have currently for a baseline.

Can you tell what is stopping your flex at 3" or so? Is this only uptravel? Will it droop?

You can try disconnecting your shocks to see if you get better travel. The shocks could be the limiting point.

When my Shyjacker 4" kit was new, it was a bit stiff. Over the next year or so of driving and wheeling it, the springs really softened up. It rides good for a Jeep now and flexes great on the trail. I get comments on how well it flexes for leaf springs all the time.

Comment

the spring will settle over time. oh and i see on your project list that you want it to stop raining under the dash. your vent is stuck open, there is a lever system on the passenger side under the dash that controls the cables going to the vent, its not always easy to get it unstuck but thats the problem. theres a whole thread in here about it somewhere.

Comment

i think the water is coming in through the wind shield seal. a bit of silicone helped but did not stop it.
        as for travel with jack on the frame it lifts about 2" before tire cones off the ground. lifting from axle it compresses about 1"

Comment

You might want to check and make sure your shackels aren't overtightened. Lots of guys over torque them limiting suspension movement.

Comment

I'm running a 4" BDS lift, it rides decent and flexes well, with the Revolver shackles in the rear. If you want a reasonalby priced bolt on kit the BDS or the Rubicon Express are going to be your better lifts for ride. You can get into better riding and flexing kits but it boils down to how much you want to spend. They make replacement frames that allow you to run any TJ lift kit too.

Comment

Ok so I have not done anything about the suspension yet. I had to have the jeep off the road for the last 2 months. I was driving with the snowplow on today and the ride was much better almost comfortable. I know that the 4.3 is heavy but the jeep rides a lot higher in the back.
              What i am wondering is if the PO could have put on stiffer shocks attempting to get more height and as a result killed the ride.
              I don't want to put a new suspension in if there is only one bad portion.
              Another thing that I have noticed is that the ride is worse as the temp goes down.
              Just want to put the thought out there to see what anyone thinks.

Comment

Did the po use it to run a plow also? If so , it might have stiffer springs in front. And for the steering check the steering shaft u-joint.

Comment

The PO did not have the plow.
                  I think that the steering box is shot (leaks) and the u joint has a lot of play in it.

Comment

The steering box can be resealed, shaft will have to be raplaced. just my 2 cents.
                    Last edited by oss; 02-25-2011, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Rather than trying to re-seal your gearbox (pretty hard I hear), search online for a dodge durango gearbox conversion. I went with that and it was around $100 I think, it's the exact gearbox as the CJ, minus one bolt, and you could get the optional "snowplow package" and add a little strength to the internals of the box. Search "pirate4x4.com" for the durango gearbox w/ snow plow package conversion. And that is my two cents..

Comment

Working...
                      X