X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need T5 help

Well, my T5WC is on the ge-rodge floor for the 3rd time this year just because I had nothing better to do Saturday morning after extreme 4x4! Ended up being a good thing though, since I ripped the mounting bracket off of the Trans case from wheeln with a broken motor mount. Hence why Im looking for a parts T5 in the wanted section.

Problem: still pops out of revers

Action: Fix it

Symptoms: Pops out of reverse under a load, especially trying to back up going up hill, even when I hold it in. Took the lid off this time around expecting to see some chewed up gears, but everything looks clean. No chips, gouges, scratches on any of the gears, syncros look fine (12,000 miles - ish), but Im not a transmission expert or anything. Im looking for some ideas on where to look / go next... school me gurus!!!

Looking for a T5 Tail housing, and a CJ bell housing also!!!! Someone has to have something laying around!

Sounds like a bad dentent spring. There is (if I remember right) a ball and spring that holds the parts together when the gears are engaged. When it wears out, the gear won't stay in. The repair is usually pretty simple I am told, but I have not done it.

Once you get that fixed, try swapping your oil to Royal Purple Synchromesh. I did it on mine and loved it. I could sure tell the difference big-time!

Comment

Last edited by Gryphon; 11-16-2010, 12:43 PM. Reason: browser hiccup: double posted.

Comment

I think that if it were the detent spring then I would be having problems with all of the gears staying engaged, and Im not. Plus, the spring still has the yellow paint on it from when it came from the builder (12,000 approx miles). The trans shop thinks that the body is hitting the shifter, but I know that this isnt the problem. They are also sorta stumped, they said that everything looks pristine inside, and that there is no reason why it shouldnt be working flawlessly... *sigh* Oh well... we'll see what happens when I finally get it back from them....

I have been running mobile 1 full synthetic ATF as recommended by the builder in FL

Comment

Yeah, that does sound odd.

Could it be the clutch linkage instead? Since you had a busted bellhousing and tailshaft, could it be something shifting or binding on the clutch fork, causing it to slip and letting the trans pop out? Just exploring ideas here.

Comment

Again... if that were the case then I would imagine that I would be experiencing it in all gears, or at least more than just reverse. The bellhousing was smashed by a rock, and the tail housing was because a motor mount broke, and all of the torque was absorbed by the trans mount all day. The trans does not have a typical mounting bracket. It's basically hard mounted with some rubber spacers

Comment

Okay, just thinking aloud here. Reverse in a t5 has a separate cluster and a slide rail, right? Could it be something with the guide rail? Maybe a little sloppy or what not? Maybe it's just not able to engage all the way? A loose synchro? Just throwing ideas around.

Comment

(going from memory here, i could be way off) the reverse gear is in the tail section and has a separate bearing right? i'd be guessing that the bearing or shaft is bad and the end play is too much to keep it engaged under a load. i tore down my T5 quite a few times but that was all over ten years ago so...i will look but i think the old tail section that i had is gone now, sorry. i'm guessing it has already been to the scrap yard as i hated my T5 so much, but if i find it i'll send it to ya free and even pay the postage (i hate it so much), used to have a bin with all the gears x2 minus the main and cluster gears, syncros and all, less than 100 miles so basically brand new. if this was last year i'd still have all of it annnnd a bellhousing. sorry bro.

Comment

I appreciate it Capt'n It's all back together with a new bellhousing and tailhousing, both of which I got purdy cheap.... The reverse gears are inside the case, OD is in the tail housing. If it were a bad bearing then the trans shop would have picked up on it... I questioned all of that stuff every couple of days during the WEEK they spent looking at it and ended up telling me theres nothing wrong with it.... thats my luck....

Still pops out of reverse when I took it for the maiden voyage last night. Nothing has changed.... if anything it's tougher to shift into reverse... it used to be if you played with the shifter a little bit you could get it to move back the extra 1/4" or so to make sure that it was fully engaged. I dont feel like it wants to go all of the way back anymore, no matter how many forward gears you shift it into prior to reverse. Im just gona beat the living piss out of it until it blows the idler gear again then Ive got an AX 15 thats gona go in...

Comment

How did you get a world class t5 for your jeep? All the mustang gurus I talked to said it would be too pricey to do it. Please let me know.

Comment

Are your running a body lift?
                      Have you tired to run with the transmission cover(floor plate) and shifter boot off?
                      And have you inspected the top load shifter?
                      Are all your mounts good now(motor, trans)?
                      Are you running a steel body or fiberglass?
                      When your in reverse are you on flat ground or offroad?
                      Where did you get your WCT-5(nice score)?
                      Last edited by 7jeeps7kings; 11-20-2010, 08:24 PM. Reason: add

Comment

YES 2"
                        YES
                        YES
                        YES brand new MORE HD motor mounts and custom trans mount
                        Steel
                        Both

Trans came from a builder in Florida about 6 years ago, it sat in my garage for about 4 years waiting on a project that got scrapped, and then ended up in my CJ 7. The Trans shop that I had work on it the other week seems to think that it's the pilot bearing, and they wont give me any money back until that's ruled out as the source.... Soooooo in a couple of weeks here Ill be tearing the trans out for a 4th time for the same problem.... I really wish they would have given that suggestion while I had the whole friggn thing apart last week..... bastards.....

and Jeepblur. It was pricey... around $1250 pricey from the builder, and I have another $325 or so into it trying to fix this friggn reverse ( $65 reverse gear, $50 first gear, $185 at trans shop that was no help, + fluids at $9 / qt)
                        Last edited by UPJ Wheeler; 11-24-2010, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Just had it on the ground again (#4 since March) to replace the pilot bearing that ended up being fairly worn. I thought for sure this time I had found the problem. No dice... she popped right out agian

Comment

Working...
                          X