Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum

Couple of questions, first what I have

1980 Jeep Laredo
    302 on fresh rebuild, new heads, intake, 2150 carb, straight duals, after tomorrow 1 piece axles also.
    Now what I need to know.

I am looking for a set of tires. I really want to run a 35X12.50X15 on my jeep. I am told that I need 5.5" of lift though that seems like a lot but thats what I want to run. I am assuming that is a 5x5.5 bolt pattern (please correct me if I am wrong).

I had to run a 4'' lift and a 3 " body lift to keep mine from hitting. It worked ok but I hated the body lift The 35" tires take up a lot of room in the wheel opening. What I did finally was to install tj flares and remove the body lift. The 35" even with the body lift wore off the rear edge of the fender flares, in really rough terrain. What I'm doing now is a SOA with YJ springs.

Comment

I run 33x 12.5x15" s with 4 inch springs and 1in. of body lift . Havent had any issuses yet.

Comment

A word of caution with the one piece axles...if you run larger than 33 inch tires with the one piece axle, your warranty is null and void.
        CJ is 5 on 5.5 bolt circle on the wheels

Comment

What are you planning on doing with the jeep?

Comment

Mostly on the road right now, I will put a good 4" suspension lift on early next year when I get back from out of town. I wont be doing any crawling or anything with it until then. I just wondered if I could put them on and putt around until then with the 3" body lift

Comment

Originally posted by nogoatz View Post
              A word of caution with the one piece axles...if you run larger than 33 inch tires with the one piece axle, your warranty is null and void.
              CJ is 5 on 5.5 bolt circle on the wheels
              1980 CJ with a warranty? Wow, thats one brave company..

Comment

Alaskanbadfish......I was refering to the one piece axle warranty...most companies offer 10 year on those parts with certain limitations

Jeff Weingart
                4WD Staff
                800-333-5535 ext820

Comment

I wouldn't go too high for a better drivability and low center of gravity. I have a bit less than two inches of lift with heavy duty springs and run 31s but 33s fit without problems, too. On the street the HD springs are a sweet setup, the CJ corners like a sports car, little body roll and stable while braking and not too harsh on bumps. Off the road the springs are a bit too HD, meaning that they don't flex very much. A somewhat softer spring would allow for more flex. Overall I am very happy with what I have build.

Comment

It depends on how bad you really want 35's. I ran 33's with a 4 " skyjacker lift. When I really flexed it out they would rub a tab. I had a do a 1" body lift for other reasons and that helped. I really wanted 35's so I did tube fenders up front and TJ flares in the rear. If you don't want to cut the body, I would not go bigger than a 4" lift and 33's. Esp if you plan on romping on it with that 302. It could be a handful.

Comment

I'd do what Toralf said . . .

Comment

Working...
                      X