X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost to rebuild and engine?

I have the 258, T5, and D300...can anyone give me some advice on rebuilding it? What would it cost (ballpark) to have someone rebuild it and install it? I know where I can get a 304 block for $400, would it be cheaper or better to have that rebuilt? How much extra would it be to mate that up to my T5? How much extra power would I get out of the 304? OR do i just go to a GM V8?

Is the 304 complete and just needs rebuilt, or is that 400 just for the block?? If I were guessing its probably going to cost you about the same to rebuild either of them, and if this is the case ... I would rebuild the 304! The T5 will bolt right to the motor without any adaptors. We did this switch in a friend of mines and it took us a day to pull the 258 out and drop the 304 in and have it running like a champ!

If its not complete, I have a complete 304 (I think) if not its pretty close in a few boxes around in the garage I would let you have for $150 ... If you interested let me know ... I'll be headed your direction in August

Comment

I just did the 304 in my CJ5 and it runs like a raped ape.
      out of pocket $1,200 but that is the 4bbl carb and manifold plus a new cam lifters etc...
      I did the work myself so no labor cost.
      do it again you bet.

Comment

If you plan on useing the extra power of the V-8 the T-5 most likely will not last long. I would sugest looking for a T176 or T177 as well.

Comment

$400 is too much for a 304. i've bought them in good condition for $100 complete. i bought one with high performance parts in good running condition for $250. a machine shop will charge you anywhere from $300 to $1500 depending on what you have them do. i bought a couple decent books and just followed the directions to assemble my engine. total cost will be around $800-$1000 (i'm not keeping close track of it).

the t5 will go quick if you beat it. you could upgrade to a world class t5 and it would take the beating much better and with the correct input/output shafts, it's a direct bolt in replacement. if you take it easy on the skinny pedal the nwc t5 you have will hold up fine.

the place you'll notice the most improvement is at highway speeds. i took all the pollution control crap off mine so it will run much better at high end and low end than the 258.

Comment

Block or Complete?

So I am new at this...what is the differece between block and complete? Does complete have all the extra stuff like starter, alternator, etc? so an engine machine shop could bore it out and put in new pistons and rings and stuff? would i need new cams? it all depends on the engine right?

Comment

just a block is just that, a block with no heads, intake and some of the time no pistons, crank, cam or anything. complete means you could just drop it in and it already has everything to run. there's all sorts of inbetweens to. if you really have no idea what you're getting into and don't have someone to help, you're going to need a spare vehicle while you work on this one. otherwise, let the shop do all the work and just pay them.

Comment

i have someone to help (kind of) and I have a father and grandfather to call and ask questions (both out of state). any idea what it would cost to take it some where and have them put it in? would I be better off than trying to figure it out? but that way how will i learn?

Comment

The big problem is that T-5. If you want to keep it, rebuild the 258 with a 4.0 head and an HEI distributor. And the T-5 probably won’t last with that combo if you beat it. You need to figure out what tranny you want to run and that will decide what engine you use. There are several different tranny/engine combos to chose from. It won’t be cheap. Adapters for the Dana 300 are pricey. Cheapest combo if you could find it is the T-176 tranny behind the 304 or the built up 258. A good rebuilt and upgraded T-5 will last a long time behind a built up 258 as long as you don’t put a full time locker in the rear. I just would not trust a T-5 behind a V-8. I’ve broken my T-5 twice behind my 258.

Comment

built up 258?

what would i do to my 258 to build it up? what does the 4.0 head do for me?

Comment

I just bought a rebuilt and had it installed. The engine cost 1600 and the install was around 800-1000, tough to say cause they did so much other stuff. I would avoid S&S rebuilds out of the west coast, that is where I bought mine and the first head was cracked (actually it was a shoddy repair that didnt hold) and I think they over drilled some of the holes and I have class two coolant leaks around the headers. The engine runs great though, the leaks are just annoying.
                      TD

Comment

as far as who to use, find a jeep club and ask members who they've used in the area. i could tell you in the canton area but have no clue in colorado. jasper is always a decent place to and they're pretty reputable. you'll learn a lot if you do it yourself, but you can screw up a lot of machine shop work if you do something wrong. only you can make that decision. as far as the 258 or the 304, i would go 304 because you can drive the 258 until it's time to swap and you'll enjoy the ability to do more power wise with the engine.

Comment

If you want to do a hands on rebuild ... and are up for a roadtrip this summer ... we can redo the 304 I have in a weekend with no problems!

Comment

Originally posted by beastiebrad
                            what would i do to my 258 to build it up? what does the 4.0 head do for me?
                            There really isn't much out there to "build up" your 258 besides a cam and better ignition. You could bore out you cylinders a bit.

The 4.0 will provide a little more HP from an improve intake flow.

Rebuilding an engine isn't difficult unless you need do things like decking the block or boring the cylinders. That's better left to a machinist.

Comment

Brad -

Go with the V-8 man, you'll never regret it. I know where you can get a complete used 360 or 401 locally that runs well & even has a 90-day guarantee. All for $400.00 Give me a call. I'm in Ft. Collins too - 495-6944. - Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X