X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding AMC 20 tubes?

[FONT=Times New Roman]I've read a lot about welding the tubes on AMC 20 rear axles? What advice does anyone have about doing this and/or have you done it? I have solid axles and a locker, but if the tubes bend the good stuff won't do me any good in the long run!

I have the axle out right now so it would be a good time to do this.

Thanks![/FONT]

Is your tube cracked? Are you moving the perches?

I succesfully replaced the perches on mine without much trouble. If you pay attention to cleaning up the base metal it should be fairly easy to weld. I used a buzzbox but you could mig it as long as it will handle thicker steel.

Comment

welding refers to welding the tubes where they go into the diff housing. this is similar to what trusses do w/o the trusses. an amc20 with good 1 pc shafts and welded tubes is stronger than a d44.

Comment

http://www.4wd.com/kyoung_4wdforums/...ighlight=truss

Comment

Thanks for the links guys. No, my tubes arent's bent or broken. I've just heard about welding the tubes where the enter the housing and I wanted to know if it was a risky thing to do so I don't warp the tubes. I guess I'll break out the welder this weekend before I put it back in. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X