X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change out Fly wheel

New to the Jeep community, and I love my '83 CJ7. Now the first problem I've run into is a bad fly wheel. Just two questions. How hard is it to change out and has anyone ever done it?
    Last edited by NSTIO; 04-25-2005, 04:27 PM.

you'll need to drop your tranny and pull out the clutch. the flywheel is just held on with 6? bolts. i pulled mine last month to do a clutch job. not that bad. hardest part was getting the transmission back in...laying on my back...should have bought a tranny jack.

Comment

unless your clutch is almost new, now would be a good time to replace it...since you have the tranny out...... its the mightaswells that kill a guy. mightaswell do this now, mightaswell do that now.....but it does save a lot of headaches.

Comment

This is just my opinion, I am sure people will disagree with me. I would pull the engine leaving the trans in. I can have my engine out in less than an hour and I dont have to fight with holding and aligning the trans. Aligning the trans to the engine is not difficult at all. Just make sure you line the clutch up with an aligning tool first. My .02 worth.

Comment

Originally posted by mcodrake
          This is just my opinion, I am sure people will disagree with me. I would pull the engine leaving the trans in. I can have my engine out in less than an hour and I dont have to fight with holding and aligning the trans. Aligning the trans to the engine is not difficult at all. Just make sure you line the clutch up with an aligning tool first. My .02 worth.

dude you stole my post. i agree 100%. no drive shafts, tcase, shifters or any of that crap. motors come out much easier to me than a tranny. BUT, i have an engine hoist to.

Comment

Originally posted by beastiebrad
            you'll need to drop your tranny and pull out the clutch. the flywheel is just held on with 6? bolts. i pulled mine last month to do a clutch job. not that bad. hardest part was getting the transmission back in...laying on my back...should have bought a tranny jack.
            chainfall a couple of 2x4 across the windshield to the roll bar and drop the tranny down i just did my fly wheel a couple of weeks ago in less than 4 hours i was on the road again...

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
              dude you stole my post. i agree 100%. no drive shafts, tcase, shifters or any of that crap. motors come out much easier to me than a tranny. BUT, i have an engine hoist to.
              Done both. If you have the right tools, it is a matter of do you want to hang over the engine, or lay under the jeep. I can get a tranny out as fast as I can get an engine out. Going back in, I have to say hit and miss, depends on how good you are at eyeballing alignment. I like doing the tranny as you can lift that by hand if you need a little more movement to just get it in there. Can't do that with an engine (at least I can't, and if you can I want you on my side in a bar fight).
              Of course you should seperate the tranny and transfer case and take them out seperatly. Or at least put them in seperatly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-One
                if you can I want you on my side in a bar fight.
                it's a deal. i'll buy the first beer.

seriously though, i use a leveler on the hoist and it makes it a one man job. i also have a special plate that goes on the intake and it makes it very easy to find the center of balance on the engine. i put in my 460 into my truck by myself and it dropped right in no prob. that's about as heavy an engine as it gets.

goes back to what you said...if you have the right tools.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR

goes back to what you said...if you have the right tools.
                  Yep, gotta love tools. They are your vehicles best friend.

Comment

Working...
                  X