X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetor

I am going to be upgrading my fuel delivery system soon. I know that MPI is the best solution, but don't want to spend that much. The two choices I'm down to are a Weber with the stock intake, or an Offenhauser with a Holley 390 CFM. Aslo, if I go with the 4 barrel, is the new Holley Truck Avenger 470 CFM to big for the 258?
    All input would be appreciated.

i just got a MC2100 for my 258 and i love it...it was cheap too...way better than the carter

Comment

I put the closest thing to stock Weber had, the 32/36 (or 32/32, cant remember) and it runs great and I am very happy with it.

I didnt want to mess with big carbs if the engine wasnt build for it in the first place. CJs are dangerous enough, you dont need more power or speed is my thought.

Comment

Come on, somebody out there must have experience with the Holley 4 barrel.

Comment

I built a 258 for a friend and we put a Holley 390 on a single plane Clifford intake. We had a lot of trouble with it and like clockwork had to rebuild it every year. After three years, we installed an Edlebrock/Carter 500. It runs like a scalded dog. No troubles and can be adjusted very easily. We lean it out each year so he can pass the E-Test. It takes 5-10 min. to adj. Tune up kits are available at any speed shop.

Comment

the holley truck avenger 470 is perfect for your application. you'll only get better off camber performance from MPI.

Comment

I just bought a 73' CJ5. It has a rebuilt 258, and a Holley 390 on top. It was loading up really bad at first. I just had it rebuilt and the combination is running great. The only complaint I have is it is COLD BLOODED!! It takes a while to warm up but once it does it runs smooth. The bigger issue is the T-case. When in 2H the shifter is loose and flops arouns. Once I got it to about 50 mph, it popped out of 2H and into nuetral. I took a bungee cord and held it in place and it seems to stay in 2H. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Comment

I will find out here soon on how that 470 cfm truck avenger performs. Just bought it the other day. According to everything I've seen and heard it should just be a awesome combo w/ the inline 6. We will see.

Comment

What manifold are you going to use with the Holley?
                  What other modifications have you made to the engine?
                  Please give me an update after you get it installed.

Comment

Working...
                  X