X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MD Watkins and all help with my fender flares

I was reading the moderator's post and pictures from his previous adventure. I am considering buying the same flares. Once the body is cut, I saw how MD welded in metal. Is there any other way to "push back" the well to match the newly cut fender? Once 3-4 inches is trimmed from the front, there will be a good sized gap. Obviously, the gap can't be left even with the new Bushwacker cutout installed. I am not sure if I have access to a welder.

Once the wheel well is split so that it can be pushed back to match where the Bushwacker flare mounts you can use whatever you like to fill in that split. You can rivet or even sheet metal screw in a patch. If you went with the screws I'd make sure you did this from the inside of the fender so that the tips pointed into the engine bay.

As for reattching the fenderwell to the fender you could do the same with some sheet metal screws or rivets. These would easily be covered by the fender and no one would be the wiser.

You're also probably going to want to black out the remaining sheet metal, even with all the trimming you're going to see some of the sheet metal under the flare. Once I painted everything black under there it was tough to notice unless you were really looking for it.

Don't get discouraged because you don't have a welder...I only welded things because I have one and it was easier for me than going and buying a bunch of rivets or screws.

Drop me a PM if you need any other pics or close ups...I'm happy to snap a few for ya to help you along.

Matt

Comment

Whats up Big Mike! Lucky you, I have a welder in Lemon Grove. Call me and we can work on it.

Comment

Working...
      X