X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 inch skyjacker lift??

This is the deal. I have a 92 yj. I have 3 inch susp. lift and 3 inch body. I was thinking of putting on a 6 inch skyjacker rock ready monolinear lift, and droppin my body lift to 1 or 2 inch. Why? Im not getting enough flex with what I have! Anybody got any ideas???
    Last edited by jeepnjared; 01-08-2006, 10:20 PM.

Taller lifts on leaf spring vehicles often means stiffer springs. That's not doing much for your articulation. I know Skyjacker makes a 6" monolinear spring kit that touts good articulation. I don't know if that's the one your looking at already or know anyone using one. Every manufacture these days makes "big claims".

My advise is to use softer springs, some tricks like revolver shackles or Z-box shackles. Nth Degree Mobility makes a Zig-Zag kit (all can be found in our host's catalog).

Remember, lifts that big create a lot of steering, and driveshaft problems, so save some money to fix them too.
    Good luck.

Comment

no flex

Body Lifts do not help with Articulation.

Comment

The 6" Mono Leaf setup does provide great flex. But... it also sags VERY QUICKLY. 6in turns into 5in then 4in then...

My advise is to use softer springs, some tricks like revolver shackles or Z-box shackles. Nth Degree Mobility makes a Zig-Zag kit (all can be found in our host's catalog).
        I know some people like them but I would never run them. I've heard some problems and they seem scary to me. Flex isn't everything. Ya, it looks cool in front of your buddies but you can do other things to improve your rigs capabilities. Like lockers, sway bar disco, ditching the track bars, making sure the shackles arent too tight, etc..

What size tires do you want to run?

Comment

i was thinking of running 36's, just a little bit more tire.

Comment

Originally posted by soffa king
            Body Lifts do not help with Articulation.
            Thats why im reducing my body lift. Iknow it wont help with articulation,I still want plenty of fender clearance.

Comment

You have a 327 in your YJ? If so then your mechanically inclined to do an SOA. It'll give you 6" with stock springs and no body lift. SOA isn't for everyone but if you can do a motor swap then you can do a SOA.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Dirt
                The trick shackles and the zig zag kit are ok if you never plan on taking your rig on the street. The reports I've read on those kits warn of very dangerous highway manners (especially the zig zag) I agree with Joe and Jeep on this one. Do the spring over.

Comment

Does anybody have this 6" skyjacker monolinear lift? Or what are any others running on a YJ?

Comment

Don't know how much flex you're looking for, but I'm happy with my set-up. Although, I am looking at reducing the body lift, and using the more open bolt-type spring wraps. The easiest thing you can do to improve the flex is to remove the trackbars and disconnect the swaybar.
                    http://www.itsajeep.org/vBulletin/ga...8/P1050524.JPG
                    http://www.itsajeep.org/vBulletin/ga...8/P1050527.JPG

Right now, my shocks are still limiting droop in the front, and the rear quarters are limiting stuffing in the rear. And I'm not locked yet, either.

Comment

Originally posted by kudzu69
                      Don't know how much flex you're looking for, but I'm happy with my set-up. Although, I am looking at reducing the body lift, and using the more open bolt-type spring wraps. The easiest thing you can do to improve the flex is to remove the trackbars and disconnect the swaybar.
                      If you disconnect the swaybar and the trackbar just be aware that it does effect on road driving. Especially highway. JKS sells quick disconnects for the sway bar and an adjustable, telescoping track bar that can be loosened when offroad and tightened back up when on the highway. Neither are all that expensive or hard to install. (removing the old track bar is another matter entirely) I haven't heard anything good about the 6 inch monoleafs. They look a little fragile to me. More for the mall crawler crowd than the off roaders.

Comment

Good point, Beavis, but a whole other can of worms.

Thing about the monolinear kit, if you break a spring...it's the only spring you got.

Comment

If you think about the monolinear springs, you can see how they are no different than a coil spring only flattend out. Coil springs aren't stacked on each other, and they don't generally just break, do they?

I don't know much about the mono's sagging, as I've had no first hand experiance with them, but I wouldn't expect them to sag any more than a coil spring would. The idea behind the monolinears is that they reduce the amount of "sensitivity" lost to spring pack friction by having one spring (again, like coil springs). The monos are wider and designed to withstand stress while maintaining flexibility. They are tapered, if you haven't seen them, to help reinforce areas that need strength, and reduce axle wrap.

Again, I don't own them yet, but I've been reading reviews and articles about them before I buy them. I have yet to read a bad review from someone who has actually used, installed, or seen them in person. I haven't looked at too many posts on these boards yet though, and I don't know any of the people who have said bad things about them so I can't say they are wrong. The kit may be terrible, I'm just another person whos trying to comment on something I don't own .

Comment

Flat spring-steel is VERY different from a coilspring. I have broken a leaf in a spring pack before, it happens. I was glad it wasn't the ONLY spring in the pack. There is a picture in an older post on this subject showing a broken Monolinear spring, along with some commentary. If I find it, I'll post a linky.

Here's one: http://www.4wd.com/kyoung_4wdforums/...ght=monolinear
                            (looking for more)
                            more: http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthr...ght=monolinear
                            http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthr...ght=monolinear
                            http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthr...ght=monolinear
                            http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ght=monolinear
                            http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ght=monolinear

I'm not trying to start a fight; you asked for advice and didn't like what you heard, so I'm just trying to back up what I, and others, have told you.
                            Last edited by kudzu69; 01-18-2006, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I had seen a couple of those posts while I was looking before.

I can't ignore all the negative response to the lift that I have read, whether first hand experiance or not. From the first moment I heard bad news about the Mono kit, I've also been looking at alternatives.

I want the Mono kit to work good. So I've been looking for good things from people who own it. I still haven't seen/heard many people's first-hand knowledge of trouble with it. I really find it hard to believe that a product that supposedly fails almost immediately after being installed hasn't been removed from the market yet. Why are people still selling it? Why does Skyjacker still make it? The simplest answers for these questions are that the lift is not as bad as it would seem everyone thinks it is. Perhaps the few cases of obvious problems are simply defective parts? How does a company as big as Skyjacker, who has been making quality products for however long now, make and continue to sell such a terrible product? How could these springs be SO bad, that you could break BOTH front springs at the same time?

I think I might just get 4WDH's 4.5" lift and forget about the monolinear. All I want is to put some 33's on and have some decent drop to keep traction. Maybe I'll spend the money I save on some Teraflex shackles

Comment

Working...
                              X