Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which tire size for 2.5" lift kit? Getting lift next week...

I am getting the lift in the next week or two and need to pick out some tires. Trail riding would be the most off roading I would do for the most part. Hoping to get some 33's on my factory rims. Any suggestions on tires? Also, do you think 33's will fit? Thanks for any comment.

-Dan

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3485/...30fc9d8233.jpg

33's will fit just fine. but you must remember that even with a lift, the tires will stuff into the wheel wells just as far no matter what lift you have. anything over a 31 will rub and bend the rearmost lower corner of the rear wheel well and rub inside of the front fender at full stuff. extended bumpstops are the best option to remedy this problem.

Comment

Any opinion on wheel spacers?

Comment

what year jeep is it? older models came with narrower axles than the newer ones. i think its 80 and up for wide track axles, not to sure though. either way with the stock rims you will probably get some rubbing on the springs at full lock without wheel spacers, and maybe even with them.

Comment

Sorry for slow reply, was working out of town. The Jeep is a 1981. My thought is the spacers would help fit the 33's. Also, might look nice, a wider agressive stance. Have not seen enough pics of Jeeps with spacers to know. Just a thought.

Comment

they'd work fine but cost almost as much as new wheels.

Comment

Thanks man. Going by Nick's 4X4 here in Rockingham today or tomorrow. Will see some tires and get some ideas from him on options. The only thing I am certain on is the 2.5" BDS kit. Sounds like what I am looking for. 32's or 33's is the question remaining and the utility of spacers is still up in the air. Taking the Harley up to Cox HD in Asheboro for some service. Any good 4X4 shops up your way?

Dan

Comment

If you get wheels with enough offset then you can save the expense of the wheel spacers. Both wheel spacers and wheels with little back spacing have the same affect on wheel bearings, they add a little more stress to them by having to carry the weight further off center. Whichever way you go, you probably want to service your bearings on a more frequent interval than would ordinarily be necessary to prevent any failures. Here's a link to the sticky on wheels, which should be helpful: http://jeep-forums.4wd.com/showthrea...patter-ANSWERS You want negative offset and a small amount of backspacing to avoid having to use spacers.
                That said, I've got 33's on my CJ with a 17"x9" rim. It has about 4" of backspacing (I didn't want to take the wheel off to measure) and I added Spidertrax 1.25" spacers for a net 2.75" backspacing. I had to crank the steering stop in (out?) just a tad to prevent the tire from contacting the spring, but I still have an adequate turning radius.

Captain, My CJ is an '80 and has narrow track axles, they shifted to wide tracks in '82.
                Last edited by NOCHEEPGAS; 05-16-2011, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Put deposit on the BDS 2.5" kit, five 33" BFG Mud T/A's, and 1.5" spacers today. Will be installed next Wed. Thanks for the help here. I will post some before and after pics.

Dan

Comment

I run 33s on my 2.5" lift. I run aftermarket rims also. I am not a fan of spacers myself. You have to keep an eye on them so they dont come loose, they will also push the lockout in deeper which looks kind of weird. I would run an aftermarket wheel with 3 3/4 backspace, I run 15x10s on mine to widen the stance a bit and I just installed wide tracks also but that was not needed.

Comment

That's a good looking ride.

Superlift here in La. bought Black Diamond sometime back. Friends. Skyjacker is also born and based here in the same town. Flip a coin. I am partial to Superlift due to attitude and customer service. I am of the opinioin that a 2.5" lift is all you really need. anything taller and you are going to have to start adding axle wedges to compensate for the bind on the u joints. Which still isn't a bad idea on the rear end even at 2.5" of lift. If you are going to be doing some light duty off roading and joy riding. If you are headed into some more serious off roading, rock crawling and abusive use then you should seriously consider a whole new route.

I don't know if they still have it but 4WD posted a gear to tire size chart in one of the catalogues a few years back. Here is a link to a good article on how to properly plan your axle and tire combination. http://www.4wd.com/jeep-advisors/Dri...n-advisor.aspx Your tire size is subject to the gear ratio in your diffs. Jack it up off the ground and completely an secure it. Mark the yoke and the tire. Rotate the tire and note the number of times the tire makes a rotation to one turn of the yoke. If your tire spins approx 2 and 1/2 times to one complete rotation of the yoke, then you are most likely running 2.51 gears. I am running 2.51 gears and 33" x 12.5" set of ATs. It is a great look but the gears are too small. I need to be running at least 3.71 or 4.10s for that size tire. Based on the gear chart. 2.51s on 33" tires makes for a real slow and hard take off in first gear. 3.71s would be ideal for all around use.

Hope this helps bud.

Comment

Great info man, thanks for sharing. Getting the lift kit and wheels put on Monday, rather than Wed. Can't wait. Will strip old clear coat off rims this weekend. Got some glisten (clear coat) to apply later. Waiting on my bottle of AP120 to come in which is needed for the clear coat to take. Will apply that after new tires are on. Just didn't want all the stripper and such on the new tires. Next thing on my list will be a one piece rear axle. Moser? Superior? Not sure what axle to go with. Might also have the gear changed at that time. Very expensive? Got no clue myself. These mods along with some weekend maintenance will have me ready to hit some trails soon. Thanks for the help here.

-Dan

Comment

Working...
                        X