X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cuts off or wont start

my 92 2.5L shuts off with me like i turned the key off while going down the road. I pull over and wait a few minutes and it starts back up. It will start with or without the check engine light on. I am lost. Can someone please help...

turn the key on,off,on,off,on and count the number of times the check engine light blinks...it will blink in fast sequence and then pause between numbers...if theres a code in there it could be alot easier to know whats wrong

Comment

I will try that this evening when I get home. Thanks

Comment

I tried the on and off trick, but the check light never blinked to identify a code. I am going back out to it and start tracing wires for a short. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Ah ha! I tried the on and off thing again and this time I guess I did it right. It showed up 5 codes but I can eliminate 3 of them cause one was A/C(that I dont have) One was from where I unpluged the PCM and checked the wire terminals and the other was engine running to cool. The 2 left are codes 11 and 54. So what should I do next if you will keep leading me into it?

Thanks Captain!!!

Comment

11* No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking.

54* No fuel sync (camshaft signal) detected during engine cranking.

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/dtc.html

Comment

So,help me out a little. Does that mean a bad signal from crankshaft sensor or coil pick up in distributor? I'm only a beginner here, but starting to get more and more comfortable working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by my_92_YJ View Post
                So,help me out a little. Does that mean a bad signal from crankshaft sensor or coil pick up in distributor? I'm only a beginner here, but starting to get more and more comfortable working on it.
                I would guess the CPS is not working. I am not a mechanic, but my .02 on the situation.

Comment

I checked the CPS and the bolts holding it on was loose. So I hope thats all it was.Tightened them back down and hoping that solves my problem. I may not have re-checked all bolts for tighteness after I swapped out tranny.

Thanks for all yalls imput.

Comment

I am sure that didn't help matters any!! That is prob it. Hope that is all it was.

Comment

hey my 92 YJ...i just saw that your from Spartanburg, SC...that's where i was born and lived till i was five...i lived on Heather Drive if you know the neighborhood...my family still makes trips to the beacon when we get the chance...oh man, my mouth is watering now for a double bacon chili cheese, like a burger a' plenty...i can taste that burger plate, piled high with fries and onion rings...a big swig of beacon tea with the ball ice to wash it down....heaven...one delicious greasy heaven

Comment

Originally posted by the Captain View Post
                        hey my 92 YJ...i just saw that your from Spartanburg, SC...that's where i was born and lived till i was five...i lived on Heather Drive if you know the neighborhood...my family still makes trips to the beacon when we get the chance...oh man, my mouth is watering now for a double bacon chili cheese, like a burger a' plenty...i can taste that burger plate, piled high with fries and onion rings...a big swig of beacon tea with the ball ice to wash it down....heaven...one delicious greasy heaven
                        Thanks, now you have made me hungry!! When is the grill going to be started???

Comment

Not sure where Heather Dr. is but am well aware of the greasy(yet delicious) a' plenty. Good to clean the internal pipes out with. I see your from Greensboro, I have family up the road in Winston Salem.Seeing I'm a newbee, I am sure as my wrangler stumps my intelect I will be back here asking for help again. I know just enough to get myself in trouble every once and a while and its good to know that I can come to this forum for some extra assurance and guidance from time to time.

Comment

this forum saved my jeep from the junkyard so i'm fairly certain it can do some good for yours as well...its always a good idea to make a sig with your jeeps info in it (although your name pretty much covers it eh)...but yea, anytime you have a question come on by and let us know about it...i'm in here almost every day for one thing or another...i started out on a bunch of jeep forums and just kinda gravitated to this one...a preference thing i guess you could say...oh, and if your ever planning on driving up to Winston to visit your relatives and you feel like bringing some beacon food i'd be more than happy to meet you somewhere...man i wish they delivered this far up

Comment

this forum saved my jeep from the junkyard so i'm fairly certain it can do some good for yours as well...its always a good idea to make a sig with your jeeps info in it (although your name pretty much covers it eh)...but yea, anytime you have a question come on by and let us know about it...i'm in here almost every day for one thing or another...i started out on a bunch of jeep forums and just kinda gravitated to this one...a preference thing i guess you could say...oh, and if your ever planning on driving up to Winston to visit your relatives and you feel like bringing some beacon food i'd be more than happy to meet you somewhere...man i wish they delivered this far up
                              If (when) I get my wrangler running so it don't cut off on me running around town I'll venture out that far in it again. And for some odd reason if you'd like an A'Plenty I would hate for you to have to miss out on it. I know I will be heading up to Winston Salem the 1st week of Nov. with or without my jeep. My Toyota hasn't let me down yet.(knock on wood) And besides my toyota gets alot better gas mileage.

Comment

Working...
                              X