X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me!!!!!!

So my Front axle has been oozing gear oil for the last couple of weeks. I just noticed it then, so it may have been leaking longer. So today I was going into the Diff to replace the seals before something bad happens. And this is what I am greeted with.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/Bearing1.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...er_72/Cup1.jpg

Do I even bother putting it back together? How long do you think it will last? Or Should I be ordering an overhaul kit right now.

Where is my lighter,

Is that from the pinion, or carrier? Either way it needs replaced!

Comment

Hey Ed, sorry to see that you've got an axle problem.

That looks like your carrier bearing. As long as those are the only bearings that got beat, you can replace them without doing a complete gear setup.

But if you pinion bearing is at all bad, you'll have to do a complete gear setup.

Comment

Originally posted by rstarch345
        Hey Ed, sorry to see that you've got an axle problem.

That looks like your carrier bearing. As long as those are the only bearings that got beat, you can replace them without doing a complete gear setup.

But if you pinion bearing is at all bad, you'll have to do a complete gear setup.
        Take it from old rstarch when it comes to using useds bearings. He's had a few go arounds with them and gears.

Comment

It is the Carrier Bearing.

I am going take it in and have a new one pressed on tomorrow. I will get some marking compound and look at the pattern before I put the whole damn thing back together. It was from the Drivers side, which is the side that was leaking. NAPA right by my house has a machine shop in the back. Does $25 sound like too much to have a bearing pressed on?

Comment

cost me $20 to get 2 pressed on at a small machine shop.

might wanna check backlash also. .009" max i think.

Comment

Yeah I Know!

But if I check it, I will find that it is bad. Because that is how my luck goes. And I do not want to sink a ton of money into the heep's axles that does not have new gears and lockers packaged with it. I am on vacation this week watching four "imports" put a new roof on my house. Very hard working individuals and they are doing a great job. The leader of the crew (the one that speaks Spanglish) really knows his stuff. I think I keep irritating him, when I keep jumping up on the roof to see what they are doing. Anyway back onto the original train of thought. That is why I can not do the re-gear right now. I have to put $6000 on top of my house.

Broke azz broke,

Comment

odds are, you'll be fine so it shouldnt keep you up worrying all night.

Comment

But if they are bad....

wouldn't you rather know parked safely in your driveway?
                  Than sitting out on the side of the road trying to: a) fish your newly-detached wheel out of the ditch? or b) scooping up all your internal parts from the roadway while dodging traffic?

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLander
                    Broke azz broke,
                    I have a pencil concession that I'm trying to franchise. I'll even waive the franchise fee.

Comment

The Mcgyver in Me!

Not sure if anyone has thought of this yet. I am sure someone has, but I am easily impressed, so this is what I came up with.

The FSM explains how you need to use a turnbuckle style seal installation tool. I do not have one of these and really do not want to buy one. After trying to get a socket and a tack hammer to work for some time, I had an epiphany.

The parts I gathered:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...rSealPress.jpg

The Seal Press I fabricated:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...rSealPress.jpg

MacGyver eat your heart out:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...ssinaction.jpg

The 5/16 Grade2 hardware I had in stock bent under the pressure. So while I was at NAPA getting the new bearings pressed on the carrier, I acquired 12 MM grade 8.8 hardware and it worked like a charm.

Sometimes I impress myself,

Comment

Nice mcgyver-engineering!
                        Way to go!

Comment

You did good on that Ed!

I've seen that setup before and several variations. Glad that the Spanglish didn't freeze your noggin and you figgured it out.

Comment

This is what I got.

So this morning I took the carrier to NAPA, and had the new bearings pressed on. I decided to get two new bearings. I almost started to regret that decision when I had a hard time getting the carrier back in the housing. I did finally get it in there with a little love (1# dead blow no mare hammer.)

After going to the big three in auto parts stores around here. Those are Advance, AutoZone, and NAPA. I got a "we do not carry that here" from my guy at NAPA, and blank stares from the pimple faced freaks at the other two. I think I read on here some where you could use lipstick. I raided the little woman's purse. She is on crutches right now and can not catch me anyway, so I figured what the heck. This method of getting a gear pattern seemed to work. This is what it looked like.

Drive Pattern:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...ivePattern.jpg

Coast Pattern:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...astPattern.jpg

From what I have read on this forum and the write-ups I have seen this pattern looks good. When you give me your opinions, take into consideration these gears have 123K on the clock.

What do you think?

Comment

The wear pattern looks like a good standard bite is taking place on all the gears. There will be someoone with more knowledge than me (as all my gearing knowledge is from helicopters).

My other opinion is that the color of lipstick is nice. I hope it wasn't the expensive kind, besause that will cost you dearly.

Comment

Working...
                              X