X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling into roof

Hello, I just bought 2 cheapo baja lights from autozone for setting up some reverse lights. I have searched on here but not found the answer. I am just a little scared of drilling into my roof to run the wires to my reverse lights. I am assuming just taking a small drill bit and and using some JB weld to seal it???

ive got daylighters on the roofrack of my cherokee. i used a rubber gromet and silicone sealant for the two wire holes i drilled in my roof. no leaksss

Comment

Did you put the gromet near your stock roof rack rails? IS it noticeable?

Comment

i did find some info on the topic...i guess i am just wodering if there are any precautions i should take when drilling through sheet metal??? I am just a little paranoid that i want eveyrthign to look nice.

Comment

the drill bit will go through quickly since its sheet metal. dont let it go too far or youll rip the headliner. just through the metal. other than that its no big deal.

Comment

haha yeah mine looks kindof rough. i did it more out of convenience than looks. the wires just go straight into the roof on the drivers side so i could run them down the seatbelt collumn. the headliner inside is kindof torn too. but they work well and thats all that mattered to me. ill get pics tommorow if i have time before work.

Comment

Caslax,
              I installed roof antenna's in vehicles for my work many moons ago. If you are worried, you can use a hole saw like this one. I don't know what size hole you need, but these restrict the depth you can go to just through the sheet metal.

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...uct_id=22-1340

Comment

i dont have a headliner anymore...just scribblings and stickers...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...7_333_full.jpg

Comment

you said they were reverse lights right? and theyre going to be on the roof? cause if you have them back there you might have to do some planning for the wiring harness. im not sure what lights you got so i dont know if you need the whole relay/switch/directpowerconnection setup or not. like you said, if youre just cutting into the present reverse light wiring it shouldnt be that hard.

Comment

typed something then you answered my question...well i am thinking, they are for the back of the rack.
                    I am no electrician and i am wondering if i should tap into my reverse lights then do the relay so they come on with my reverse lights and run them to my battery and have a override switch so i can have them on when not in reverse. -OR-
                    run them straight to the switch and just turn them on if i need them. I dont know what to do.
                    Last edited by Cazlax; 01-28-2007, 10:34 PM.

Comment

oh, and this is kinda hoaky but since you're into wiring some beter reverse lights, if you want a reverse light switch, just run a fused wire from the battery to a lighted swicth (so you know if he lights are on of course) and then either tap into the wiring harness on its way to the back of the jeep or (here comes the hoaky part) do as the previous owner of my jeep did and insert into the fuse block under the fuse for the reverse lights. now you have a switch to turn on those extra reverse lights if you need to do something behidne your jeep at night like hooping up a trailer or something. your lights will still work automatically with the trans shifter too.

Comment

^^^^^ this is what i would like to do. But i am pretty sure i would screw this up!!! I might get someone to help me do it though! I am going on a overnight trip next weekend and i might just mount them on the rack and do a hardwired switch for now.

Comment

if you want to be able to torn them on manually and also have them come on automaticly I would use a relay and a 3 position toggle switch (spdt center off). you can get both at your local auto parts store. run the center wire to the switched input of the relay. run a wire tapped off the factory light. run a third wire to 12vdc. you will need power and gruond for the relay and a wire from the relay to your new lights. simple circuit, and it lets you turn the lights on, have them come on auto(with factory) or stay off. wish i could draw a wiring dia on this forum,but don't know how to post it. good luck

Comment

yeah brettweir's suggestion of the 3 selection switch sounds really good, but i cant give any help on how to go about it.
                            if you do end up just hard wiring the lights to a completely manual switch then i know for a fact you will need a whole bunch of wire extensions. then the next question youd have to ask yourself is if you want to splice wires in order to do the extentions, or use pre-terminating extensions. when i did my lights i didnt splice wires because someone told me i could have a loss of power, so i had to buy two ten-foot extensions for each light.

Comment

wtf? extensions? sheesh, so you bought fixed lengths of wire with terminals on it so you didnt have to cut yor own wires and crimp on some terminals? thats pretty silly. i get wire by the spool, and i get terminals by the box. the only time you loose power is when you use butt connecters but in terms of wiring in vehicles, it is an insignificant loss of power unless you just have a really bad connection. next time you want wiring advice buy a book, dont ask the person you asked before 2001XJ5spd.

o ya and using a relay and all that is fine and dandy but my jeep has been working fine without one for at least 4 years (its been in my posession) and who know show long vbefore that without a relay in place.

Comment

Working...
                              X