Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep well i guess first thing is first i gotta figure out who exaclty is wrong with it

Comment

if it is you ring gear, unless you have some skill as a mechanic, oyull need to take it somehwere and have it fixed. since i dorv eon mine a little bit, it ended uo costing aroun $1000 to fix.

Comment

1000 dollars!?! what i found a ring and pinion set on 4wd for 200 bucks all i need is the rear one... and as for install it'll probably be me and my dad

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff's_Jeep
          1000 dollars!?! what i found a ring and pinion set on 4wd for 200 bucks all i need is the rear one... and as for install it'll probably be me and my dad
          While $1000 may be a tad high on a new gear install, the $200 you see for the gears is just the tip of the iceberg. Then plan on another 100 for a master install. Add on several more hundreds for the "specialty tools", such as a bearing puller, press, dial indicator, the list goes on and on. Now, not to be and a$$, if you or your dad have never done a gear install before, don't do it. It's a job that should really be left to the pros. FWIW, I draw the line at setting gears. Its the one thing I feel should be left to those that will guarantee their work.

Comment

exactly my thoughts willness33, i can do alot of stuff, but gears and all that stuff is too much for me. and it would be a pain in my a$$ to do it layin on the ground, borrowin vehicles to run to the parts store every other step to get a tool i didnt even know existed. better for me to just pay the money and know its done right, and if it goes wrong hell fix it free.

Comment

yeah i will probably have it done professionally but i was hoping my father knew how to do it well today my jeep no longer has anymore power unless in 4wd so now its time to have it done.

Comment

yeah rear end went out on my jeep and it ended up having to pay 900 bucks! NOT CHEAP AT ALL!!! Plus if you have life on your vehical they wont give you the warrenty.

Comment

yeah its pretty sh!tty oh well i guess i will be forced to live with it what went out in your jeep?

Comment

alright so after a week of driving my dads giant suburban the weekend has come and i had time to take the diff off well i got in there (after spilling all of the diff fluid the cover was on there tight and when i pull it off it hit my oil pan and sent it flying so i completly missed all that) so yeah um there was more metal chips in there then diff fluid. All the teeth are missing off of my left gears on the left axle will have pictures up later tonight. So my dad and i are wondering do i just need to regear or do i need a whole new rear end or what?

Comment

You can buy a decent JY d44 for 800+ bucks, and a complete for a grand (currie), if It was me and I was going to spend the money, get the new rear end, and consider regearing. Either way the fix aint gonna be cheap, and the nice thing about a new axel, if you get one from a JY off a rubicon or somthing, they unbolt it and you can basicaly bolt it back on, and you never know you might get disk brakes with it also ;-) If you wheel ALOT consider this a really good investment.

Comment

yeah i am trying to talk my father into the whole upgrading the axel deal but idk hey if you any of you are selling a D44 then that would be great. because my brother stated and i have to agree with him niether of us have ever acctually seen a wrangler at a junkyard so if i can't find a wrangler at the junkyard i'll probably be able to talk my father into getting the explorer 8.8

Comment

Completly rebuilt rearend

so once i took off my rear end and set it up on some blocks it was completly F'ed i mean everything that could be wrong was wrong with it. the axle shafts were bent everything in my diff was broken or breaking with chips missing and what not my brakes were completly gone. so i took it in and had the whole rear end rebuilt at my local shop for the better part of 500 and it was more than 500 with the addittion of gear oil, new brakes, a whole bunch of new hardware. Well its finally done and i can drive it again i'm pretty happy.

Comment

So you ended up staying with the 35? I have a 98 also and everyone that I have noticed that has had this problem has had a 98 so now you guys got me stressin. I have been saving up to do an 8.8 with an arb and 4.88 gears and since I will need to regear the front at the same time I want to put an arb in there also since he will already be in there. I just hope that my ring and pinnion hold up till then problably won't have the money till the beginning of next year. Guess I am going to be taking it a little bit easier on them. And changing my fluid. Hope everything goes well with your new rear end..

Comment

It's a Dana 35 thing. It happened to me on the hardcore streets of downtown Winston Salem, NC in my '00. Wheeling a Dana 35 is like playing Russian Roulette.

Comment

By the looks of this whole mess, I'm glad my TJ came stock with a D44.

Comment

Working...
                                X