X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question.

Some of you might remember be, well my '77 CJ-5 304 finally fired up after about two grand invested in fixing it and five years of being parked.

I was wondering if the carb would be gunked up and have a bunch of crappy gas in it.

I dumped the gas tank yesterday and the gas in it didn't look to healthy so I was thinking that the reason it won't stay running(at idle speed) for longer than a minute is because of the carb being crapped up and old gas in it.

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by jeepshockley; 11-02-2008, 01:20 PM.

Very possible. The gas thats sold nowdays has nothing in it to prevent it from detiorating, or 'going bad'.

Thats why they reccomend using non oxygenated gas in lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. Things that may sit for months between use.

Your best bet is to clean the tank and the carb. Try some fresh fuel.

If the Jeep will be sitting for a while, add some 'Stabil' to the fuel, it will prevent the fuel from becoming gummy, and varnish like.

Comment

Gas goes bad FAST. Gas tank in my 77 is gone so we use a plastic jug with gas under the hood so we can move it around. Clear container. 5 week old gas turned dark amber and didn't smell right. Stuff just doesn't last. And when you pull a carb that has been sitting with gas in it part nowadays it is full of dried up white crap and goo. Gas ain't the same anymore!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hill, Bill E View Post
        Very possible. The gas thats sold nowdays has nothing in it to prevent it from detiorating, or 'going bad'.

Thats why they reccomend using non oxygenated gas in lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. Things that may sit for months between use.

Your best bet is to clean the tank and the carb. Try some fresh fuel.

If the Jeep will be sitting for a while, add some 'Stabil' to the fuel, it will prevent the fuel from becoming gummy, and varnish like.
        Yeah I bought so chemtool B-12 which is supposedly the best in fuel carb cleaner there is so we will see. I might run to autozone and buy a carb rebuild kit for about 50 bucks and see if that work.

The CJ will be maintained alot better now then before.

The gas surprisingly wasn't gummy or gross looking it was a golden color and smells exactly like gas because I spilled it on my shoes.

I was also wondering if anyone knew someone around the internet that had good deals on half doors and some bushwhackers.

Comment

I have the 258 in my 7 and I just rebuilt the carb. It has made a world of difference. It runs much smoother and somehow (I can't figure out why) it runs much quieter also!! I'm glad I did it to mine.

Comment

I'd rebuild it anyways. It could be gunk, but there are likely dried out seals as well. Lots of little parts to clog and stuff to go wrong.

Besides, then you have a rebuilt carb to go with the rebuilt Jeep!

Comment

Originally posted by mjfitz99 View Post
              I have the 258 in my 7 and I just rebuilt the carb. It has made a world of difference. It runs much smoother and somehow (I can't figure out why) it runs much quieter also!! I'm glad I did it to mine.
              Yeah I can't do quiet my jeep has some magnaflow high flow cats with hedman hedders(Just installed today). I was hoping for some better MPG also.

Could you tell me what you rebuilt the carb with?

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphon View Post
                I'd rebuild it anyways. It could be gunk, but there are likely dried out seals as well. Lots of little parts to clog and stuff to go wrong.

Besides, then you have a rebuilt carb to go with the rebuilt Jeep!
                True there.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepshockley View Post
                  Yeah I can't do quiet my jeep has some magnaflow high flow cats with hedman hedders(Just installed today). I was hoping for some better MPG also.

Could you tell me what you rebuilt the carb with?
                  I got the Eichlin (sp?) rebuild kit from NAPA, I also put a new float in her. I used lots of brake cleaner and carb cleaner to get the varnish out of the bowl, jets and venturi assembly, and it has made a big difference in the performance. I been able to calculate MPG yet. I have the stock Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by mjfitz99 View Post
                    I got the Eichlin (sp?) rebuild kit from NAPA, I also put a new float in her. I used lots of brake cleaner and carb cleaner to get the varnish out of the bowl, jets and venturi assembly, and it has made a big difference in the performance. I been able to calculate MPG yet. I have the stock Carter.
                    Ok well that sounds like you put some time into it.

I started it today and it just doesn't want to idle correctly or even start the first turn of the switch either.

Comment

catalytic converter

does any one know if a 77 cj-5 w/304 has to have one.or where i could go to find out? thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X