Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
totally screwed my tj up, have a plan to fix it but need some advise Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my bad !

I guess they were making 232's with manuals in '96. When I costom ordered mine that option was not listed.

If the Jeep is still in good condition, motor, frame, and body, I'd keep it and upgrade suspension and axles. Returning it to stock will end up costing almost as much as a lift and new (or salvaged) axles.

Comment

I would have the transfer case inspected for internal damage. If it checks out to be ok, then your first step is to replace that clutch with one made for your application.

Then, I would go ahead and start looking for new axles, front and rear. Search junkyards and you may even find a pair with the gear ratio you'd like for your future tires.

Then go ahead and by a complete suspension system.

If the frame, engine, body, & transmission-xcase combo is all good, and you plan on wheeling this Jeep, I would hang on to it. DO NOT drive it AT ALL until you get ALL of these issues corrected.

We all make mistakes; you just made a costly one by first putting in a clutch made for a different transmission, and then continuing to drive the vehicle after it was obvious something was wrong.

You are going to have to spend some $$$ to get this thing going again, so you might as well avoid spending your money twice and go the end result at once, even if you have to rob a bank or get a loan to get it fixed.

Good luck!

Comment

Maybe it is because I am slow but why the recommendations to replace his axles? Why not pop the diff cover and check em out and see how the gears and carrier look? Maybe pull the shafts and see if they are pitted or bent? Is the housing bent? What am I missing here? So he has a leaky front pinion seal, that isn't the first in D30 history and happens quite a bit and is usually a simple fix.

Comment

ok so i checked ebay to see what kind of clutch i had and it said it would fit a TJ 4.0L 97-04. The clutch works amazing so I really doubt it would be the wrong one right? I mean this thing is sweet. I'm also pretty sure it is just a leaky seal on the front axle. And I've heard that a bad TPS can cause hella jerking and it makes sense. So that won't be too hard to fix.

I've decided to buy the RE 4.5 superflex kit, SYE &Cv shaft, and still not sure on the tires yet. One thing I don't know is what kind of shocks to run. Hydro or gas? Which rides better? I've read alot of conflicting things about both so I'm confused.

Also do you guys think there is anything else I might need for when I lift it?

And does anyone know how the RE 4.5 rides?
          Last edited by aoneill; 04-04-2006, 02:40 PM.

Comment

is anything else I might need for when I lift it?
            not sure if it's needed, but you might consider a MM lift & t-case drop.

(taking mechanical advise from a non-mechanical guy isn't necessarily recommended)

Comment

Count you loses part it out to us and start over. Just kidding Sounds like you have everything under control now.

Comment

[QUOTE=tomsjeep]not sure if it's needed, but you might consider a MM lift & t-case drop.

QUOTE]

He stated above that he was getting a SYE and new CV rear shaft, so why would he need these?
                That clutch was very wrong, and if it said 97-04 on ebay then i would send it back, the transmission in jeeps changed from an AX-15 to a NV3550 like someone stated earlier and i would take our word on the forum over the ebay sellers word! ANd the TPS sounds like it is the cause of your fuel problem not your jerking problem!

Comment

He stated above that he was getting a SYE and new CV rear shaft, so why would he need these?

Did you notice my disclaimer?:
                  (taking mechanical advise from a non-mechanical guy isn't necessarily recommended)
                  Nobody said I was smart.

Comment

Shocks?

Ok so I'm getting the SYE & CV, and the RE 4.5

but I don't know what length shocks to run with that size lift

they come in 3"-4" and 5"-6" lift sizes and I'm thinkin the 4" will be fine but I'm not sure

I'm lookin at the Skyjacker Nitros right now

Comment

RE springs typically run 1/2" - 1" bigger than advertised and you don't want your shocks to be the limiting factor. I would go with the 5-6" ones.

Comment

sweet

Ok sweet I bought my stuff last night and its being processes and shipped now:

RE 4.5 superflex
                        Advance Adapeters SYE & Dana Spicer CV combo
                        Old Man Emu shocks

Last edited by aoneill; 04-06-2006, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Your doing the right thing man after this you will be soooo hooked on your jeep, and it will be great!

Comment

Working...
                          X