X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Brake Adjustment

I'm a newbie. Bought a 98 Wrangler SE this past New Year's Eve. I love it. Used to go Jeepin' with my Dad when I was a kid and now I want my son to enjoy the outdoors the way I did.

Anyway, couldn't find anything in a search, so please forgive me if this has been asked.

My parking brake won't hold. How can I adjust it? I haven't pulled a wheel, too damn cold right now so maybe the shoes need replaced, but is there a way to adjust the parking brake? I can't park it in my driveway b/c it won't hold.

Thanks

i'm in the same situation...i have to park in gear (reverse) if i'm on any sort of slope or the jeep will roll.

there is a parking brake adjustment nut under the jeep sort of between the rear wheels. i think this should be last resort though, after you've checked and adjusted the rear brakes...i haven't been able to do that either because of the weather.
    i'm sure someone else can explain this all better

Comment

when is the last time your brake system was overhual ? when the weather gets better out . i'd pull the wheel and check the rear shoes. and start from there .if the shoes are fine then i'd adjust them . if not change them out with new hardware and shoes

Comment

Hey do the YJ's have a hand brake for the parking or a foot like the CJ's?
        I would like to put a handbrake option in the trail rig I am gonna build.

Comment

foot . but you need to be careful if u get one from 92 like thur 95 there was a recall on the parking brakes no holding and popping loose

Comment

I could have sworn I saw a YJ with a handbrake. What year did they switch to a handbrake?

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-One
              I could have sworn I saw a YJ with a handbrake. What year did they switch to a handbrake?
              I have an 88 YJ and it's a foot brake. PITA in my opinion...sometimes mine works other times it does not. The times it wants to work I have to make sure that the handle that says "PULL BRAKE" or whatever is pushed in all the way. I was told to adjust the cable so it wouldn't do that anymore just recoil back but who knows...

Comment

Parking Brake

Thanks. I'll check the shoes. I suspect they need replaced. The owner's manual said the hand brake is self-adjusting so maybe the shoes are just worn so that there is no more room for adjustment.

As for a brake overhaul, I dunno. Hard to say. It was a pretty clean vehicle when I bought it but that's no indication of the mechanical workings. Test drive was smooth and there were no noticeable leaks so I bought her. I have noticed a small amount of coolant here and there in the street and garage on occaision so I might have a leaky radiator and I'm watching it closely. I might have more questions on that later on if I need to replace it.

Comment

i'm not a yj owner so i cant say for sure, but every vehicle i own has an adjustment somewhere in the cable line to take up slack.

in the mean time, shift the tcase in to low and put the tranny in reverse if you're on a steep hill.

Comment

on the bottom of the back of the brake drum there's an access hole with a rubber plug. it's sort of an oval. you can pull the rubber plug and using a brake adjustment tool or a screwdriver click the adjuster. You may need new shoes or you may just need the brakes adjusted. it's very simple to do.

Comment

Rear brakes are supposed to be self adjusting. I would guess you need new shoes. You should probably take the drums to a brake shop to make sure they are still in spec also. When you take the rear brakes apart be sure to clean everything inside with brake cleaner to insure the self adjuster works properly (that's the star wheel "thingy") I wouldn't suggest adjusting the cable cause you'll just tave to let the slack back out after a brake job. A Hayne's or Chilton's repair manual will help ya out.

Comment

Originally posted by willness33
                        Rear brakes are supposed to be self adjusting. I would guess you need new shoes. You should probably take the drums to a brake shop to make sure they are still in spec also. When you take the rear brakes apart be sure to clean everything inside with brake cleaner to insure the self adjuster works properly (that's the star wheel "thingy") I wouldn't suggest adjusting the cable cause you'll just tave to let the slack back out after a brake job. A Hayne's or Chilton's repair manual will help ya out.
                        Well they are supposed to but with some hard wheeling they sometimes fail to self-adjust. So you have to get in there and do it manually.

Comment

Working...
                        X