X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• massive shackles!!

i put these massive shackles on my jeep that lift it 1.5"s . doese any one olse have these? if so what problems do they apose ?

I had them on my CJ-5 and they beat my kidneys loose. I got rid of them and got a lift kit.

Comment

did u have any viberation problems or any thing. ? i put the shackles on that lift my jeep 1.5" s and i have viberating and all kinds of stuff and have droped the t case already so i dont kow what to do. lol

Comment

take them off...

Logan, I'm guessing that you used the shackles in order to achieve 'cheap lift'. Take them off and save your money for a decent lift kit. They're already causing you obvious vibration (which will eventually BREAK something that you might not want breaking while moving down the highway at sixty mph) but they can also make for some crazy handling on the road when you least expect it. Just my two...

Comment

I used to have the 1.5" shackles on my YJ before putting on a spring lift and it rode fine.. possibly a bit more body roll at high speeds around corners- so be careful there.- but worked great offroad.

A CJ has narrower springs and it may be different, but probably not too much. Just take er easy at high speeds- but that pretty much applies to any lift.

Comment

Do you have steering issues? Longer shackles causes reduced caster angle. If your Jeep seems to wander and not return to center, that's the problem.

The shackle-induced steering wander.

First, don't get me wrong... suspension lift kits (springs with a greater arch) use longer springs and must have a longer shackle to flex (flatten).

But even for springs with more arch, the same principle applies.

- Figure 1 explains caster basics. Caster is the force that causes the wheels to return to center.
            - Figure 2 illustrates caster on a "stock" vehicle.
            - Figure 2a illustrates how a longer shackle rotates the axle forward, thus reducing the caster.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...terFigure1.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...rFigure2-1.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...erFigure2a.jpg

The reason we use the lower leading/upper trailing ball-joint arrangement (figs 2 & 2a) versus other ways of providing caster is because it adds camber as you turn your wheels. Many older farm vehicles use a vertical steering pivot that did not add camber while turning.

Comment

take em off, more trouble than they are worth and they will further flatten your springs. consider outboarding a set of rear YJ springs all around and hanging some fullsize chevy axles from them. mmm, my mouth is watering just saying that.

shackle lifts cause a number of problems. driveshaft angles are affected, castor and camber takes a nose dive, shackle bushings wear at an accelerated rate, its also much easier to bend a front spring at the rear mount. shackle lifts are not as cheap as they seem, could cost you the whole jeep in the long run.

i had huge shackles on mine years ago. after i wagged the rearend at 70 MPH across 3 lanes of I-40 i took em off. i wouldn't put em on a wheel barrow now

Comment

i've never used em but just so i know what are considered to much on a lift shackle? 1", 1 1/2" ? was thinking about a set of confer 1 1/2" for sons cj7 with a 4" bds spring lift.

Comment

Doug,

I wouldn't do anything much over 1/2 to 3/4 lift. Keep in mind for every inch of lift in a shackle, the shackle is actually 2" longer.

Comment

i use them with a add a leaf suspension and they ride just fine

Comment

thanks matt, have to really think about this one. he already bought a set too. maybe i can cut em down.

Comment

if shackle lifts worked well everybody would use em. they are in fact dangerous and stupid to use as a means of lifting a vehicle. and the el-cheapo kits you can buy at auto parts stores are downright criminal. it is much easier to bend a spring when you run em, which is pretty easy to do anyway. something about dog tracking down the freeway seems unappealing to me. death wobble is real and aptly named. so please, reconsider any amount of shackle lift at all. theres plenty of stupid ways to kill yourself out there you don't know about. don't let it be one you do

Comment

captain i agree with you. i've never used lift shackles, most times i run no lift at all. son's cj7 has a 4in bds lift and he wanted a little more. don't think we'll be using the shackles when they arrive. his stock shackles are rubbing on the military wrap on spring (center bolt). will have to find another way to correct this. thanks doug

Comment