X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• liberty diesel crate engine cost?

anybody know what it would cost for the 4cyl diesel engine that comes in the liberty? just brainstorming my future engine swap. i figure that it would be wicked expensive but just curious. perhaps a wrecked/rolled liberty. i wouldn't want the auto that comes behind it though, maybe i can get an adapter to stick an nv3550...yada yada yada...

Dieselling for an Answer!

I remember seeing a write up on it. Have you tryed searching this forum? I know I read up on it one night. They did not go into costs though. It was a one off YJ I do remember that. I also found this on this forum.

http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/Articles/05_11_08.aspx

I hope this helps,

P.S. These are the guys that did the YJ I was babbling about earlier. The YJ write up was a lot more detailed though. Maybe you can contact them about the cost of the motor.
    Last edited by FlatLander; 02-14-2006, 12:31 AM.

Comment

speaking of diesels, i heard they were bad for offroading. especially mudding because they top out on the rpms too low and fast. i don't know. i heard something in that area. is this true?

Comment

Ok a quick call to DC tells us that there is no " crate engine" for sale. They will however sell you a replacement engine if you damage your already existing one with the harness for "about $8500." Our contact at DC told us quite franlkly all the diesels they have are for production and a certain percentage for replacement of defective, destroyed product.

Diesels however are excellent for wheeling since their torque band 295 ft/lbs at 1800 rpm and 160 HP at 3000, is so low and wide. The engine in KJ should end up in the TK here very shortly. Should see them in the 2007 models.
        The problem with current diesels is that most of them are damn heavy. ask anyone doing a lift on Cummins powered Ram. The KJ engine is much better and more along the lines of the volkswagon TDI engines used in their passenger cars. decent horsepower, incredible torque and great gass mileage.

Comment

i thought that too. i knew the torque was awesome. ask my brother. he's got a chevy 2500 full cab with the diesel, rancho black diamond plate bumper with LED reverse lights, brush guard, step rails, and all-terrain tires. i've driven it and it's hard to drive because the slightest touch rockets you forward. the problem i heard of was not with wheeling but specifically mudding because they supposedly hit high rpms much too fast. i don't think so but i've never taken one. that's what i was asking.

Comment

In slick stuff I certainly have hit the rev limiter on my Ram. With a redline of 5500 rpm it's not to hard to get there real fast.

Comment

check out this site:

http://www.jeep2diesel.org/

Comment

Best option would be the 4cyl cummins in my opinion. I'm thinking hard about doing it soon. I think I will do it in a scrambler though, to get the driveline length suitable for an nv 4500. Still just brainstorming though.

Comment

yeah i have seen the jeep 2 diesel site. the problem is that they love the older engines. the 4cyl cummins still cost $5000 rebuilt...but for that price i figured you could get the new 2.8 or even 3.0 crd engines. i love the diesel idea but it will be pricey. i may just dump the cash into a stroker...

Comment

Originally posted by beastiebrad
                    yeah i have seen the jeep 2 diesel site. the problem is that they love the older engines. the 4cyl cummins still cost $5000 rebuilt...but for that price i figured you could get the new 2.8 or even 3.0 crd engines. i love the diesel idea but it will be pricey. i may just dump the cash into a stroker...
                    I think your other idea of the wrecked/rolled Lib, or maybe some other diesel, is worth checking into. The one thing I would be concerned about, with a modern diesel is, are the electronics as complex on diesel as gasoline cars? Todays cars are so integrated electronically, you'd need a electrical engineering degree just to know what you need and what you wouldn't, even with a wiring diagram. I think that may be part of the attraction to the older diesels--simplicity. That's just my uneducated 2ยข worth of thoughts. That stroker looks even better....

Comment

The engine management is onthe order of a gas engine but the fuel systems are the difficult part. A CRD hits extremely high rail pressures and needs a very specific fuel sytem to handle it. Second issue is that you'd better have a manual tranny to make the two work together.

Comment

Working...
                      X