X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oval Tail Light...

Ok I've purchased 2 oval tail stop and park lights to replace the stock ones i keep busting off on the trail... I've been all over to get some ideas of where and position i would like to install them... Does anyone have any pics of thier rigs with these installed to give me some ideas... Thanks!!

This is the light i mean....

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8265/light4bs.jpg

Like this ??
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nn/MY_JEEP.bmp

ragg

Comment

When you installed those did you cut threw the seams... I think there is a seem in the body right around there on both sides...And What did ya use to cut it out... I was thinking of using a hole saw then a jig saw...

Comment

I've got an aluminum tub so I used all kinds of stuff to cut it.As far as location,if I remember right,I used the "top" of the cut out level with the original screw holes.
        I can send you a better pic if need be.

ragg

Comment

hay iv seen them on the rear bumper that way you dont have to cut up the body. i have 4and 1/4 round led lights on mine and i did the body cut. home depot sells the holesaw for to cut the rounds.also i have found the blinker fuse was way up under the dash ubove the driver speaker.as in my applicatrion,sometimes the flasher will not work with led type lights.you may want to try a heavy duty one.about 8 bucks.

Comment

I f you want to use the L.E.D. lights and you find they flash too fast,see your local Radio Shack (or ??) and they'll sell you a capacitor or a diode or something that'll slow the flash down.It has to do with the L.E.D. not having as much resistance as a standard bulb.

ragg

Comment

Didn't even think about the fuse thing.... I got a hole saw at hole the proper size and my buddys got a Jig saw i can borrow.... If you had a bigger pic that be cool.. I wonder if the rear is different from a 7 to a 5...I don't have the tail gate....

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I've purchased 2 oval tail stop and park lights to replace the stock ones i keep busting off on the trail... I've been all over to get some ideas of where and position i would like to install them... Does anyone have any pics of thier rigs with these installed to give me some ideas... Thanks!!

This is the light i mean....

Big OCj5

Used the same lights on my old jeep they were boat trailer lights, waterproof and harder to break. I placed them in the stock area but at a 45 degree angle. It looked good and it was easier to see around the tire. I have also seen it done with two lights per side. Sorry no pics sold that jeep before the digital camera.

Oh yeah I just used a cutting torch for the holes and the rubber grommet sealed it right up

jpthew
                Last edited by jpthew; 04-17-2006, 05:27 PM. Reason: forgot soem info

Comment

i have seen them mounted diagonally... i think that looks awesome...adds some flare and personal touch.... i did see one mounted horizontal about 2 inches from the top of the tub which looked cool and kept it away from threats of breaking.

i bought my LEDs from a truck stop and it has capacitors built right in. if you get them from autozone etc... they usually dont. mine are round and have stainless housing and rivet right on with no problems. i have pics posted on my intro thread.
                  Last edited by oxcj5; 04-18-2006, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Guy, they have resistors in them not capacitors. They need resistors because LED's have MORE resistance than a tungsen light bulb. You need a HD flasher becuase they will flash with less current thru them because of the higher resistance.

Comment

What do yins do about the backup lights? (Stupid PA inspection! )
                      Thats why I havnt done sweet tail lights yet. I havnt seen or thought up any ideas that I really liked.

Comment

i went to bollinger's truck stop in Iowa they have all kinds of unique lighting that are all DOT3 or better. I didn't have the money at the time but they have some cool stainless backup lights that have a stainless bill that covers the top and points most of the light down. i think that was real sweet.

try looking in 18wheeler catalogs for lighting. they get all kinds of cool crap.

Comment

Working...
                        X