X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auburn Gear "ECTED" Locker in your CJ? *MUST READ!*

This is merely a warning to anyone who has an ECTED Locker in their CJ with the AMC 20 Wide-Trac axle.

Aftermarket one-piece axle shafts (Passenger Side) from either Superior or Yukon Gear will strip the splines on the end of the axle. This is because the magnet and clutches slide when activated and make the splines go from 1" inside the carrier to only 3/8" of an inch in the carrier.

With my 1979 CJ-7 (which has '82 CJ-7 axles front and rear), both axleshafts ordered from Yukon and Superior stripped when making a right turn, due to strain on the axle and only a 3/8" portion of the splines being held.

A solution to this problem is to buy (first and foremost) Moser axle kits. They claim that their axle is 1/4 inch longer than both of the said companies, but just to be safe, I just ordered a custom alloy passenger axle that is 1/2" longer than the stripped Superior axle (which makes this 1/4" longer than the Moser CJ axle kit).

FYI:I wrote this so some poor S.O.B. with the same setup as mine doesn't have to go through all the trouble with their Jeep that I did with my Jeep.

-Paul H.

That makes absolutely no sense. You are saying the splined portion that engages the axle actually moved?

Comment

The Mosers are longer, I have had them side by side. I personally hate my Superior shafts. They are no way near the quality of my old Mosers. I regret selling them and keeping the Superiors. I had my lock rite break over the summer, the drive gear cracked into 2 pieces the inner side kept turning with 3/8" of splines enguaging the end of the shaft and I machined the splines off the end of the axle shaft. The Moser axles are so much longer that you are required to remove the factory spacer that is on the cross pin. I don't think you have to with the other folks.

My guess by looking at the IPB is that this happened to your passenger side axle shaft, Is that correct?

Check this out Matt, I didn't ralize that they worked that way either:

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...lery/ECTED.jpg
      Last edited by highlandercj-7; 12-12-2008, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mxg342 View Post
        That makes absolutely no sense. You are saying the splined portion that engages the axle actually moved?
        Actually yes, because of the internal clutches in the carrier. On the axle theres a 1 inch wear pattern, and the sheared 3/8" spline. The same exact thing happened on both axles.

Comment

Originally posted by highlandercj-7 View Post
          The Mosers are longer, I have had them side by side. I personally hate my Superior shafts. They are no way near the quality of my old Mosers. I regret selling them and keeping the Superiors. I had my lock rite break over the summer, the drive gear cracked into 2 pieces the inner side kept turning with 3/8" of splines enguaging the end of the shaft and I machined the splines off the end of the axle shaft. The Moser axles are so much longer that you are required to remove the factory spacer that is on the cross pin. I don't think you have to with the other folks.

My guess by looking at the IPB is that this happened to your passenger side axle shaft, Is that correct?

Check this out Matt, I didn't ralize that they worked that way either:

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...lery/ECTED.jpg
          Yes it is what happened..give me a few days and I'll post pics of the axle to show you exactly what it looks like.

Comment

I have no reason to doubt you but I still question the design.

The green gears (Items 3 and 6) are what should drive you axle shafts. These should not move at all. If they do, your jeep won't move when the axle is unlocked. I'm thinking maybe there is only ever 3/8" of spline engagement on these gears.

Now the sliding gear (4th pc in from the left) looks as if it would move with the ball/ramp setup. hence the 1" of wear on the shaft splines.

I will say that I have never seen this diff apart to know exactly how it works. I will also say, I'll keep my ARB too. Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.

Comment

Working...
            X