X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use to remove factory decals?

Heyas! I was wondering what i can use to remove the silly looking diagonal striping that my 91 wrangler was so horribly stricken with at the factory.. i can pick at it with my fingernails but it doesn't remove the glue.. and it'd take forever. Anyone else already done this or have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y20...m/726d11a0.jpg
    Last edited by wanelorm; 04-30-2005, 03:15 PM.

Just add salt. Those rust patches will get 'em soon enough.

But if you want them off earlier then that, you're kinda screwed. After baking on for the last 14 years, I'd say they're on for good. Maybe you can get them by wet sanding, but I just don't see any products you can buy working very well!

Comment

You can try a hair drier and time. Just heat it up and see if it peels off. Only problem is the paint under the stripe will look brand now compared to the other paint.

Comment

if a hair dryer doesnt do it try a heat gun. the heat will remove the decal but as has been stated, the paint underneath wont be faded like the rest of the jeep.

Comment

Actually, i tried the hair dryer trick.. and it peeled right off. The paint wasn't as faded as i thought it was.. and after i hit it with Nevr-Dull... it looked the same as the rest of the jeep. Now keep in mind i don't think the original owner ever really washed it... just hosed it off once in a while, so i think that had something to do with it

Now i have to peel the doors... sigh..

Comment

just do it the getto way and sprey white paint over the decals... and while your at it sprey thoes rust spots

Comment

hehe i'm not too particular on how my jeep looks.. but that's not gonna cut it Them rust spots will get chopped out and new steel is gonna get welded in. Sometime soon.. Body really isn't that bad. But, as they say.. when it rains it pours.. and where she rusted she rusted.

Comment

Theres a company called "Worth" (or maybe its Wurth.. I realy cant remember) that makes alot of automotive tools and stuff.

They have a tool that might help you. its about a 3" disc and its made of gummy eraser. You put it in a drill and go at it. now I can say for a FACT that it works wonders on pinstriping. it eats the damn thing away and theres nothin left except a clean spot and pinstripe dust.

As far as a decal of that size.. it might help you but it would take a while.

Comment

try some stuff called "goof off" or "Goo Gone". the goo gone will probably work best for you. i've used it many times. won't hurt the paint either. you can get it at walmart, kmart, home depot, where ever.

Comment

your jeep looks just like mine used to before the resto. i got my stripes off by going to the local paint store and buying wax/degreaser ( i think it was ppg 440). i peeled the stickers of with my fingers and a razor. then used the degreaser and a rag (and rubbed hard) and it came right off. then put a coat of wax to make it shine again.

Comment

Try putting the stickers over the rust and you'll have killed two birds with one... sticker.

Comment

Hehe. Well i have the doors done.. one took over an hour to peel, the other one took 15 mins.. the decals literally jumped off that second door. Hit the glue with Nevr-Dull (and the rest of the doors for that matter) and the paint looks brand new. Thank god i "aquired" that can of Nevr-Dull last week...

Thanks !

Comment

I would have recommended what Ueland did. Although, it'd probably have taken at least two full eraser wheels to remove all that vinyl....

Comment

Working...
                          X