X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key wont turn!!

Ok maybe some one can give me some ideas. Its a 03 Monte Carlo SS i started it up and moved it so i can get my jeep out. I went to go move the car back and now i cant! I put the key in the ignition and it wont turn!! Its like its the wrong key. Cars in Park im using the right key. It just wont turn to start the car. Could the ignition gone bad?

Try turning the steering wheel a little one way or another. If you have the wheel lock too tight (as in the wheel is turned and you turn the car off and release the steering wheel it locks up against the ignition mechanism).
    It shoudl turn a little one way and none the other.

Comment

The steering wheel dont lock. i can turn it both ways i even tried it for **** and giggles and still the key wont turn!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blupupher View Post
        Try turning the steering wheel a little one way or another. If you have the wheel lock too tight (as in the wheel is turned and you turn the car off and release the steering wheel it locks up against the ignition mechanism).
        It shoudl turn a little one way and none the other.
        Yep, turn it toward the "locked" position and then try to turn the key. I know old GM columns are notorious for this. It may work for the newer columns as well.

Comment

i had the same problem in my 01 xj for a while. one night it just would not turn. it continued to happen off and on for atleast a few weeks. now its perfectly fine. cars just like to mess with you sometimes

Comment

Your Monte is p!ssed at you for taking the jeep out. You have to say you're sorry and buy it a car wash. Then it will work. LOL

OK, I got nuthin...

Comment

Try a couple shots of WD-40 down the key hole. Then try working it.

Comment

I've tried just about everything. Im just going to go to Sweeny Chevrolet and get the OEM ignition cylinder. And yes the Monte is mad at me i've been driving the jeep ALOT lately LOL I only drive the monte when i want to drive FAST

Comment

Originally posted by 2001XJ5spd View Post
                  i had the same problem in my 01 xj for a while. one night it just would not turn. it continued to happen off and on for atleast a few weeks. now its perfectly fine. cars just like to mess with you sometimes
                  See my post in the Cherokee section. Key will not turn.

Comment

it is possible that the switch at the bottom of the column, or the rod going down to it, could be bound up.

what you could do is loosen the two bolts that hold it on and remove it then see if that allows the ignition to move... and when you remove it, you can grab the rod that controls the switch and see if it feels free or is bound up...

now if it is bound up, then it usually means that it or part of it broke inside the column. You can get replacement rods (i have had to replace a few) and put them in yourself if you have some mechanical skills. This will involve partial disassembly of the steering column.

Comment

Working...
                    X