X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ Door Latch Height

I have an 86 CJ7 with the 'paddle' door handle style. I recently acquired some soft doors that I was going to modify for use during trail riding. The doors fits my CJ7 tub opening just fine, but my question is regarding the difference in latch height.

Are all 'lever' style latches higher than 'paddle' style latches? If not, what year CJs is had this higher latch height? I'm not looking for advice on how to do the conversion, just wondering which Jeep these doors are really from.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...0324-00038.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...0326-00043.jpg

I had those on my 79Cj. I rememeber the latches being "high" and at the top corner of teh tub. I also rememeber the poped open alot.

Comment

Looks like they are designed to latch on the top rather than the tub.(just guesing) I have never seen a cj with higher sides.

Comment

on the CJ's the hard doors and soft doors latch in different places. The hard door to the tub and soft to the frame of the soft top

Comment

Ok, paddle latches catch on a post just like standard car doors. These are in the same place on late-model CJ7's. This was standardized for hard-top/hard-door optioned Jeeps.

Lever latches were OEM on soft-top optioned Jeeps. They index on the soft top structure. When using them with the top down, you have to rig a support for them to close on or use a bungee cord or such.

My '86 CJ7 was an OE soft-top Jeep. I had to install the post latches when I went to a Supertop with paddle-style latches.

If you are just rigging those as trail doors, rig whatever works well for you. I used a chunk of all-thread threaded into a bolt welded to the top hardware on the tub. Once I swapped over, I could still use them by rigging a stop or a cord. But I had the two-piece Bestop doors, so I sold them instead. Thought about cutting them up into a custom trail door and using a barrel-bolt to keep them closed (like a barn latch).

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphon View Post
            Ok, paddle latches catch on a post just like standard car doors. These are in the same place on late-model CJ7's. This was standardized for hard-top/hard-door optioned Jeeps.

Lever latches were OEM on soft-top optioned Jeeps. They index on the soft top structure. When using them with the top down, you have to rig a support for them to close on or use a bungee cord or such.

My '86 CJ7 was an OE soft-top Jeep. I had to install the post latches when I went to a Supertop with paddle-style latches.

Thanks, I guess that would explain why two sets of CJ7 soft doors would latch at different heights....
            Last edited by dukes; 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

I realize this is old post I am pull from but, does anyone know where I can get the "lever" style handles (as in the first picture)?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X