hood vent/leak in the cab Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hood vent/leak in the cab

after doing a search on leaks in the heater box (leaking in the cab ) i found where someone put a piece of clear plexiglass under the hood vent to prevent water from getting in , this does not seem like a good idea to me, as the vent was put there for a reason . but after going crazy trying to fix leaks in the plenum , i'm at my wits end !! i only run my jeep in the summer , and only run the defrost to clear the windows of fogging , just how bad will it affect my blower/defrost ? or are there better ideas ?

There is a drain tube on the vent. If the water is coming from the vent, the drain needs to be cleared out.

I ran a vent cowel cover thingy

"The Ram Air Induction Scoop forces more air into the ventilation system which improves air flow through the vent in warm weather and heater/defroster in cold weather. Installs over factory hood vent without drilling. Manufactured using UV resistant plastic, will not fade or warp. For maximum air flow, the scoop should be mounted facing the windshield.

Key Features:
    # Increase interior ventilation by up to 60%
    # Improves heater, defroster and vent flow
    # Easy no-drill installation over factory Grille

Fits '77 - '86 Jeep CJ and '87 - '95 Wrangler"

Worked great for me. Also helps keep water out when installed correctly (facing the windshield)

Your leak could very well be from the vents, but also look at your windshield glass gasket and the frame gasket. I had a bad leak thru my windshield frame that I finally fixed, but never did actually find (I replaced the glass and sealed up some rust). The gasket under the windshield frame is notorious for leaking too. It may look fine, but fold the frame and then look at it. About 20 bucks from 4WD for a new one.

thanks gryphon ! , that looks like it would do the trick , never seen it before , i did a water test with a garden hose to narrow it down , the tubes are clear , but the gasket by the fresh air door was virtually gone , so i put permatex in place , so the water goes out the drain hole ( by the blower motor ) and not in my cab ,.. i like the air dam thingy too , i may get that as added protection ...... nice find .. now if i could only get my soft doors to seal ................

Originally posted by jackson View Post
        .. now if i could only get my soft doors to seal ................
        Have you bent them to fit? Bestop's recommendation is to just bend the door frame to fit your opening. Once I got mine to fit, they stayed that way for the next several years. I had to adjust them slightly from time to time as my doors lived in the closet, not on the CJ.