X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Radiator replacement

So...my 98 XJ's radiator has sprung a leak down low on the drivers side. I've got the replacement sitting on my workbench ready for installation. My jeep has a trans cooler, and on the driver's side there are 3 connections that need to be made. One is just the radiator hose (top), there is a treaded fitting right below it...and what looks like some kind of quick disconnect fitting near the bottom. HOW DO I GET THAT DISCONNECTED??? The last thing I want is to have everything disassembled and not be able to get that fitting off.

Thanks in advance everyone!

It's a fitting similar to a fuel line connector. Rather than argueing with the thing, I found that cutting it off (at the rubber) and using a barbed insert (for the rad) with a fuel line clamp (over the rubber hose) handled the issue well.

If you can get the tool in there and pop it off, good going. I wasn't that patient.

Comment

I remember just being able to use a screwdriver to disconnect the fuel line quick disconnects. I'll give it a shot...if not, I'll know I can use the "Rstarch method."

I'm going to shoot you over a pic of the new radiator's outlet via e-mail to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Comment

WHAT A PATHETIC POS THAT STOCK RADIATOR WAS!!!!

Well, I finally got around to swapping out the leaky radiator yesterday. The new one is twice the thickness, and the whole project went rather easily. The lower trans cooler line (quick disconnect) pi$$ed me off, so it got hacked off. I cut the end off the hose and just slid it over the fitting on the radiator and hose clamped it on there.

Very worthwhile upgrade...I was shocked at what I saw when I pulled that old one out. It's amazing how it wasn't over heating with all the missing fins.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTJ
          The lower trans cooler line (quick disconnect) pi$$ed me off, so it got hacked off. I cut the end off the hose and just slid it over the fitting on the radiator and hose clamped it on there.
          You got the technique.

Good to hear you got the job done.

Comment

mines a factory 91, half the fins are missing. i gota have it on defrost to keep the electric fan going to prevent it from overheating.

Comment

Ugh...sounds like you are due for a new one too my friend...radiator.com, or radiatorbarn have some pretty sweet deals.

Comment

Originally posted by rstarch345
                You got the technique.

Good to hear you got the job done.
                Sounds like the same technique I used. Got me some fittings at Lowes for mine.

Comment

Working...
                X