X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering column

has anyone tried shortening a 1974 steering column 6 inches have aftermarket seats and they sit to close to the steering wheel

1974, if that was the year they still had the pipe column I think it would be easy.
    All aftermarket seats seem to sit close to the steering wheel.

Comment

in my 74, I just changed the column to a tilt column...

got rid of the HUGE truck wheel for a Grant wheel...

never had any troubles with fitting in there after that..

Comment

it would be easier to drill the seat mounts and move the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Joda View Post
          it would be easier to drill the seat mounts and move the seat.
          But what do you do about the tire well behind the seat that is keeping it from going back?
          It is a CJ-5, not a CJ-7.

Comment

I think bus wheels and skinny columns are cool. I wouldn't mind if it was a bit shorter. However, one might consider it the original supplemental restraint.

Comment

Originally posted by Chilly View Post
              I think bus wheels and skinny columns are cool. I wouldn't mind if it was a bit shorter. However, one might consider it the original supplemental restraint.
              I don't know about that, I hit mine a few times and that was enough to make me get rid of it. Those things hurt.
              If you go with a Grant they have some deep dish ones that really help for the clearance.

Comment

skinny columns r ... skinny

When I first got my '74 CJ, the stock steering was very worn and sloppy. I began fixing and replacing and actually rebuild my skinny tube column using a stainless steel tube, trashed the stock "bearings" and machined new bearings to get things tighter in the top of the steering system and dumped the bus wheel. (Ok, that didn't curtail slop but damn, that thing is huge!)

You could conceivably shorten the entire column but the actual internal steering shaft would have to be re-splined on one end to accomodate either the u-joint or steering wheel. Sounds like a major hassle (equals $$$) to me. The simplest and best answer to me is to install a tilt unit from a later CJ or adapt a unit from suggestions on the board.

Comment

Working...
                X