Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
totally screwed my tj up, have a plan to fix it but need some advise Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• totally screwed my tj up, have a plan to fix it but need some advise

Ok so this is my first post here, but there's alot to mention and i'm tryin to cover everything so I'm sorry this is so long but if you have time feel free to post advise on one subject or many.

I have a totally stock 97 TJ sport with about 102k miles. I've started to do a little offroading on the weekends for the past oh 8 months

Well it had a few problems to start with, we got it new off the lot in 96 and it was my step dad's until june of last year when it was given to me, my step dad was real hard on it and first thing i had to do on it was replace the exaust manifold. then the water pump, then an ew power stearing pump after that ate itself, then we had to put a new clutch in it.

ok so after the new clutch it was never really the same and I really don't know why. we bought the clutch on ebay and suposedly it was from a rubicon and i really dont know much more than that tho my step dad might. but after we put it in it rode really jerky and it had trouble staying alive sometimes. the jerks would get really bad but i kept driving it just trying to ignore it til i could figure it out.

It was also getting hella bad gas milage like hella bad, not just jeep bad and i could smell gas when ever i got out of the car but gas was leaking out or anything.

My throttle postion sensor is also out/malfunctioning

well one day i was accelerating pretty hard up a small hill when it starts jerking real bad again and there is a loud noise and alot of vibration and i lose powerto the wheels. turns out the rear output shaft had snapped in two about two inches from the transfer case and i left the driveshaft on the street.

so ya...

i got it home by putting it in 4H and pretty much just drove it home with "front wheel drive". it drove fine and I drove it around like that for a week and a half until while breaking down a hill the front drive shaft extened so much that it came apart. My entire front axle is twisted upward as well.

after checking everythign out i also found that some how both of my front upper control arms are snapped in two, well one is hella bent and almost in two.

ok so ya.

here's a total of what I know is wrong:

1. Crazy jerking when accelerating

2.rear output shaft is snapped in two

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8583/38gn1.jpg

3.needs new TPS, oil pump, and prolly a new fuel pump.

4.both front upper control arms wasted

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/6681/22hg.jpg

5. front differential leaking, a bit, I think it just needs a new seal but i really have no idea

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/404/42rv.jpg

How I plan to fix most of these and it would be cool if you guys could give me some advise on my decisions.

1. put in new TPS, oil pump and fuel pump, no big deal

2. since that shaft is broken i'm thinking a SYE kit and CV shaft

3. since my dad will pay for half of this for my birthday, and i have the rest of the money,
    a 4" lift:
    I've been looking at all of them here and I'm thinking 4WD hardware 4.5", Skyjacker singleflex 4, superride 4, rubicon express 4.5"

I'm looking for a lift that has upper front control arms and all those do, I'm leaning more toward the 4wd hardware nd the rubicon express just because theyre 4.5 not 4 but thats bout the only reason since ive searched but really havent found much botu how they ride. I've heard the 4wd hardware one is great but then again this is their site.

and I'm looking at tires, im gunna put 33 x 12.5s on nd im still looking on those.

so i'll have that stuff fixed and a semi-bad *** jeep, but i still dont know about that jerking and if it will be fixed, and if that or something else caused that shaft to snap whil driving on the street, nd i still dont know how the hell i snapped those control arms in half, but then again, I've pushed this car as far as a stock TJ can go
    Last edited by aoneill; 03-27-2006, 07:12 PM.

It sounds like you're on the right track.

As for the lifts, I have a few buddies running different lifts on their TJ's. The 4wd Hardware stuff is all pretty decent, and I have yet to hear anything bad about RE. I try to avoid anything from SkyJacker. Just seems like their springs always sag quickly. Superlift probably has some of the stiffest springs I"ve seen, while still flexing well.

As for tires, are you looking for an all terrain or something more aggressive? If you're looking for an MT, the Super Swamper TRXUS MT seem to get great reviews, also the Cooper STT's look pretty nice.

Comment

i would agree that you are certianly on the right track. However, your in quite a pickle:

it seems something with the clutch replacement has caused this dramatic cinemax of tear jerking jeeping (try saying that 5x fast). The last thing you want to do is tear out your SYE and brand new CV shaft because of this current problem. But I feel like you have no other choice.

I would hold off on the front shaft, as that is not needed to drive. Replace the output shaft and CV shaft and install the lift and control arms. That will fix all your current issues, besides the clutch.

I would take it to a shop once the lift/sye combo are on and replace whatever you put in, and let a professional install and adjust the clutch. Thats also my advice bc I am not a "super mechanic" but a simple driveway wrencher.

Remember, with 33in tires comes potentially new gears. And with a SYE you need adjustable uppers or lowers in the rear, too. Your bank account is going to hate you.

-Lou

Comment

Geez man, I've put 100k miles on my 97, wheel it often, and still never had all those problems at once.

Make sure you get the lift and SYE on before you buy a CV shaft, or you may be buying another.

Comment

Jeep guys, you gotta luv 'em!

Comment

Well I gotta give it to ya. That's a lot to break in a moments time. I've had to re adjust my t-case shifter and I bent my front d-shaft a few months ago, but havn't went through a whole mess at once. (might be b/c every few mths i'm upgrading things anyways . but who's keeping track). Good luck with it. Well, good or bad luck, either would sound good to me in that situation right about now.

jason

BTW, another lift would be one from Rusty's Offroad. Not sure about coil springs, but my leafs are great. Plus the price wasn't all that bad.
            Last edited by Rippin-95-YJ; 03-27-2006, 10:52 PM.

Comment

you've got bigger problems !

from the info, and photo's you supplied, I can tell you right now...

The T-case will need to be re-built with a new output shaft, so you might as well buy a high-strength SYE kit. Because you drove the Jeep without a rear shaft, chances are that the oil-pump was not citculating enuf oil, and has probably destroyed the T-case internals, at least the bearings!

The front axle pinion bearings and seal are history, see the oil leaking from the pinion in your picture. Unless you know how to set-up gears, you might as well just buy a D44 front axle, or as I have done find a high-pinion D30 from a 1990 XJ with full-time 4wd. the gears are stronger, do to the reverse rotation, and the axle bolts in place. You will most likely need to have the gears changed though. Your inner and outer axles will fit the housing, they have a larger u-joint, and your stock brakes will also fit.

You should buy a lift kit with upper and lower control arms, as yours are scrap. While your at it, make sure the shock mounts and pan-hard bar mounts have not beeen damaged. It looks, from your picture, that the front axle has twisted, so it is most likely scrap now, replace ALL of the front suspension and steering arms.

Now for the rear axle. When you dropped the drive-shaft, the impact of the shaft hitting the road was transferred to the axle pinion, and probably destroyed it. Consider a rear axle upgrade as well. If your Jeep has a stock D44 and the bearings were not damaged, you can upgrade and rebuild it. If you have a D35, its junk, replace it NOW.

Lastly, the clutch you bought on E-bay, is NOT compatible with your 97. Transmissions, as well as engines have changed drastically since '97. If you '97 has a 2.5L it is the same as '95 and earlier Jeeps. It is NOT compatible with the newer 2.4L chrysler moter. If you '97 has a 4.0L, the transmission has been changed from the AX15 to the NVG 3550.
              Last edited by jeepjohn; 03-27-2006, 10:54 PM.

Comment

I am not sure but wouldn't the clutch out of your 97 and the clutch out of a Rubicon be different since they are different transmisions? If this is the case that could be the start of some of your problems. Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you but you are on the right track with a lift and SYE since you are going to be replacing some of the parts anyway. Good luck.

Comment

I think one mistake led to another here. Obviously the clutch was the first problem.

I don't know if a clutch from a Rubicon was the right choice for your 97 TJ. Maybe it was an acceptable replacement, I don't know but obviously something went wrong when it was installed which caused the jerking. That eventually probably led to your rear shaft breaking.

Then driving it in front wheel drive for a week and a half was your second mistake. That should only be done as a last resort and only to get you off the trail, not for normal driving on the road. All the torque from your jeep was placed on your front axle for a week and a half. When you were going down the hill while braking along with all the torque being placed on the front end those poor little stock control arms couldn't handle it anymore and snapped, which obviously led to your front driveshaft being ripped from the yokes.

First, I would find some used stock control arms that somebody took off their jeep. I know around my neck of the woods people give them away.

Second, get your rear driveshaft fixed. Again, check around for a cheap used one just to get you back on the road.

Third, take your Jeep to a mechanic and have them properly replace your clutch. You may want them to check out the tranny and the transfer case while they're at it, just to make sure nothing else was damaged before you spend the money on a SYE and CV driveshaft.

Fourth, get your TPS and anything else fixed before even thinking about a lift.

Fifth, Tell all your relatives to give you money for your birthday. Your gonna need it!

Sixth, learn from your mistakes and enjoy the world of Jeeping when you get it all done.

Comment

second look

If you want to run 33's, you only need a 3" lift, add a 1" body lift and you can run 35's.

Your engine problems seem much deeper than a TPS, fuel problem. These problems will bring trouble codes up in the OBD system. If you need an oil pump? you didn't state why, but I'll assume you have low oil pressure, chances are that installing the wrong clutch not only destroyed your transmission and T-case, but also destroyed the main bearings in your engine.

One last question, you stated the Jeep was purchased new in 1996, and that it has a 4.0L. In 1996 TJ's were only offered with 2.5L engine - manual transmisions, or 4.0L auto trans. I know because I custom ordered mine in September of 1996. By the way, Your Jeep is what true "Jeepers" call "the non-existent 1996 TJ"
                    Last edited by jeepjohn; 03-27-2006, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Desertdog I agree with you 100% Get the thing you have to get fixed to get it back on the road .

Comment

yeah, come to think of it i would get it fixed as stock first. From what it sound, you distroyed a lot by putting in the wrong clutch. Do I dare say the dreaded T word? (totaled)

might be cheaper to fix (ha) to stock and sell, and get something else... sounds like you turned your t-case, engine, and axels into ticking time bombs.

-Lou

Comment

Originally posted by jeepjohn
                          One last question, you stated the Jeep was purchased new in 1996, and that it has a 4.0L. In 1996 TJ's were only offered with 2.5L engine - manual transmisions, or 4.0L auto trans. I know because I custom ordered mine in September of 1996. By the way, Your Jeep is what true "Jeepers" call "the non-existent 1996 TJ"
                          According to my door sticker, my 4.0L/manual was built in June 1996. Wouldn't it stand to reason that this vehicle would have been for sale in the second half of 96 as a 97 model year vehicle, and it was in fact a 4.0/manual available in 96?

Comment

Ya

Ya its def a 97 made in 96 with a 4.0. the oil pump was fine as well as my oil pressure. I just knew it was ready to go out. So fixing it to stock sounds like a good idea but do you guys really think its this bad. I mean a new front axle? I prolly do think that that clutch was not right nd im gunna check that out again to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by aoneill
                              Ya its def a 97 made in 96 with a 4.0. the oil pump was fine as well as my oil pressure. I just knew it was ready to go out. So fixing it to stock sounds like a good idea but do you guys really think its this bad. I mean a new front axle? I prolly do think that that clutch was not right nd im gunna check that out again to make sure.
                              I don't know if you would need a new axle, but you definitely need some work on it by the looks of your pinion leaking. I would get an estimate on what it would cost to fix it first. Then compare that to what it would cost to upgrade to a Danna 44 or finding a used Dana 30 from a salvage yard or from somebody that took one off their Jeep to upgrade. You can get used ones pretty cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X