X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG Question

Hey guys i am gettingn a 4" suspension lift installed wed. with 33"x12.5 on my 2002 TJ X model 4.0

How do you think my miles per gallon will be affected? Is it going to be quite a big change?

Lot of discussion on MPG in this thread.

http://forums.4wd.com/kyoung_4wdforu...ad.php?t=30699

But, depending on how you are set up now (gears/tire size) yes you will.

Comment

You will loose about 10%

and if you dont regear you will loose a little more also.

Ry

Comment

I just did the same lift this past fall.I lost a little but it was not as bad as I thought it would be.It's the price you pay for having a big boy toy.Anyway Jeeps don't get MPG ....They get GPM (Gallons Per Mile) good luck with your lift and just enjoy the toy.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys. I am not to worried about it i was just wonder how much of a difference i was looking at. This is a great website you guys are real helpful. I will work on some before and after pics. Can not wait to pick it up Wen night.

Comment

Make sure to put in the right speedo gear, to compensate for the bigger tires.

Comment

Pass on the speedo gear unless you plan on sticking with that lift and that size tires for good... Just know that your speedometer is going to be off by about 5-7 mph and that your odometer will be off by like one-two tenths of a mile. AKA when I'm going 65 i know I'm going closer to 70. I also know that for my jeep personally when i go a mile its actually closer to .8 of a mile. Use the mile posts on the side of the highway to figure it out...

The odometer one affects your MPG because obviously if your odometer is reading off and you try and do the math your math will be off...

hope my helped

Comment

Originally posted by Buster View Post
                Make sure to put in the right speedo gear, to compensate for the bigger tires.
                Sorry, but I have to agree with Buster on the suggestion of getting the right speedo gear. I'm running 33 x 12.50" and I think it's well worth it. I totally understand what Jeff is saying in that you can just figure it out and "make due", but the reality is that speedo gears are cheap (around $25 from our host) and you won't have to hassle with figuring out what speed you're actually going and what MPG you're actually getting.

In my case, my TJ is my DD and I drive 80 miles round trip to work each day and the bulk of that is on highways at 65-70 mph at a minimum. I did what Jeff suggested for probably the first month or so and it was a pain. Especially because in my situation, the stretch of highways I drive are typically covered pretty good with law enforcement. 70 mph in a 65 zone is usually not an issue, but 70 with the wrong speedo gear is now 75-77mph or more and typically gets the cops moving in your direction. I'd like to say I had the discipline to keep my speedometer at 63-65, but that was not the case and fortunately I never got caught. Most folks are usually thinking about too many other things in their daily travels to continually think about that which is what I ran into. I didn't want that hassle any longer and the $25 was well worth it in my case.

This is just my humble opinion and I think Jeff gives a viable option, but again, speedo's are cheap, take 5 minutes to swap out and removes the guess work.

Take care and safe travels.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by FyrJeepJoe View Post
                  Sorry, but I have to agree with Buster on the suggestion of getting the right speedo gear. I'm running 33 x 12.50" and I think it's well worth it. I totally understand what Jeff is saying in that you can just figure it out and "make due", but the reality is that speedo gears are cheap (around $25 from our host) and you won't have to hassle with figuring out what speed you're actually going and what MPG you're actually getting.

In my case, my TJ is my DD and I drive 80 miles round trip to work each day and the bulk of that is on highways at 65-70 mph at a minimum. I did what Jeff suggested for probably the first month or so and it was a pain. Especially because in my situation, the stretch of highways I drive are typically covered pretty good with law enforcement. 70 mph in a 65 zone is usually not an issue, but 70 with the wrong speedo gear is now 75-77mph or more and typically gets the cops moving in your direction. I'd like to say I had the discipline to keep my speedometer at 63-65, but that was not the case and fortunately I never got caught. Most folks are usually thinking about too many other things in their daily travels to continually think about that which is what I ran into. I didn't want that hassle any longer and the $25 was well worth it in my case.

This is just my humble opinion and I think Jeff gives a viable option, but again, speedo's are cheap, take 5 minutes to swap out and removes the guess work.

Take care and safe travels.

Joe
                  I guess i shouldn't have been so harsh, its more of do what you think will work best for you... I happen to know were every cop parks in my area i have it memorized. For me that works plus i don't really need to speed and when i do its for a good reason and like i said i know where the cops are... Best of luck with whatever decision you go with.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff's_Jeep View Post
                    I guess i shouldn't have been so harsh...
                    Jeff....I don't think you were harsh at all. I think we're both simply trying to give our friend lanky14 some options here and a persons situation or driving conditions should definitely dictate which way they go.

Take care and have a good one.

Joe

Comment

Same to you!

Comment

Working...
                      X