X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear wheel studs

If it's not one thing it's another! I just picked up my new set of alloy wheels to replace the old steel ones and guess what? The wheel studs are too short! OK, millions of aftermarket alloy wheels are sold every day, there should be plenty of long wheel studs right? WRONG! Where do you find long wheel studs for the rear wheels for an '85 CJ7 w/ drums????? I have traveled over 90 miles today going from auto parts and tire stores, and I'm sure, all of my cellphone minutes calling around. Nobody carries 'em and some mfg's don't even make 'em! This has GOT TO BE a common item for CJ owners! Oh, don't even ask me about my search for a spindle nut socket!
    I may hang myself from the rollbar!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Any help would be appreciated.

Instructions for hangman's noose...

...that the sort of help you meant, Itsaburner? Throw the rope down, man. Things will get far worse before they get better. You don't want to hang yourself until it's really necessary. (Hope you know I'm kidding...) Take a look at this site. I've not heard of this problem on the forum before but I bet 'someone' has. Maybe this'll help. Good luck and remember that only a few weeks ago you couldn't even get her to hiccup. Now you're puttin' on new wheels.

http://www.ezaccessory.com/

Comment

i havent found a wheel stud yet that NAPA doesnt carry. now finding someone in the store who knows they actual have them is an entirely different story.

Comment

find someone that isnt afraid to look through a book. Dorman (mfg) has a great picture book all you have to do is match up the splines what kind of shank, thread pitch and length.

Comment

Originally posted by ITSABURNER
          I may hang myself from the rollbar!!!!!!!!!!!!
          at least you'll finally be well hung.

Comment

Not being smart or anything, but have you checked to see if your new wheels use the Mag style lug nuts? I've seen that before. Check with the manufacturer and see if they have a suggestion.

Comment

yeah, i thought of that to, but my urge to be a smart azz took over. the ones that tracraym is refering to have a longer shank on them that fits in the hole of the wheel. if you use the steel wheel lugs with a "wedge" on the end and you need the other kind, you can break the wheel and/or have the lug back off.

Comment

I found several spindal nut sockets on ebay when searching for brake lines.

They are running about $5 for the socket. Not that u really need one, my nuts had the groove already in them from previous owner. They spun right off with a screwdriver and hammer.

Comment

still no joy

Unfortunately, even hanging yourself doesn't guarantee being 'well hung', as Blackwater kindly insinuated. The truth of the matter is that even 'Dorman' doesn't carry long nuts. I heard that a lot of jeepers were just keeping the original studs and hoping that their new wheels didn't fall off! Not Goot!
                  C'mon guys! We ALWAYS do the right thing and get the proper parts, don't we?? I would hate to see a bunch of slackers out there. Of course, at this point, and after a LOT of frustration beer, I am game to take just about any shortcut necessary......... NO! I am putting my foot down. I will find that correct wheel stud and when I do I will post it here for every bonehead, like me, who insists on installing a fiberglass body and alloy wheels! (If I had known then what I know now............................................... ........!!!!!)
                  So, stay posted. This fight has just begun!

Comment

figure out how much longer you need them, then take one out and go down to your local NAPA store. Find someone who will look through the book and use a caliper to measure the one you take with you and you will find longer ones.

Comment

Hope you didn't have to much trouble finding a spindle nut socket, 4WD sells them.

Comment

Okay, you've got an '85 CJ...right ?? Do you still have the 35/20 axles ?? Wide trac, right ?? Lemme know A.S.A.P. & I'll have one of my "jobber buddies" look them up for you, I'll get back to ya.

How much longer do you need them ??

ragg

Comment

Check out Krage Motorsports for longer studs. They list 1-3/4" studs for use with aftermarket wheels. Not sure if they fit your model, but they have others listed too.

Krage Motorsports Lug studs

Krage also has spindle nut sockets

Spindle nut socket

I just got my socket from Walcks 4WD. Novack Conversions has them, and I've seen them in other places too. Pretty cheap.

Comment

Stock axles

I'm not sure about the 35/20 wide track axles but what's on there now is stock. The studs I need are @1/2" longer than the stock ones and, if I remember what we were looking up in the books, they have a .66 or .67mm dia. shoulder. I have the front wheels torn apart and up on jackstands waiting for me to finish the rebuild so I haven't been able to actually remove one of the rear studs for comparrison. The front studs are 1" long (threaded portion). If the rears are similar I will need 1 1/2" of thread for them.
                            I really have been everywhere looking in manuals - Napa, O'reillys, Autozone, Collin's Bros., the dealership... half of 'em just give me attitude saying, "we only put steel (rock crusher) wheels on our jeeps!". Yep, steel rims are the only kind that have ever been put on jeeps... funny, sure doesn't look that way to me! But what do I know? I'm just a customer.

Comment

My guys are on it......I'll let you know A.S.A.P.

ragg

Comment

Working...
                              X