X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just ordered Rubicon Express 3.5" lift

Just ordered Rubicon Express 3.5" standard lift. Anyone have experience with this lift? Any problems I should watch for? Suggested Prep? Special tools required or very helpful? I am new to working on suspensions any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

That was what I started with. It's a very good lift to start off with and is pretty simple. Make sure that you start soaking all your bolts in PB Blaster a few days in advance. The only special tool you may need is some spring compressors for the front. Also the front shocks may be difficult to get off as they like to rotate when you try and remove the nut on top. Hopefully you will soak those nuts too with PB Blaster. We couldn't get one of mine off no matter what we did so we cut one of the shocks off with a Sawzall. Take your time and have fun with it. It should take about 6 hours if this is new to you.

Here are some pics of the install:
    http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery/.../RE3_5_Install

A good writeup for this lift is http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Rubi_2...on_express.htm keeping in mind that some of the parts he used you won't have so just refer to RE's instructions and/or disregard the irrelevant portions of his writeup.

Comment

i've got the superflex and love it. i got almost 5" of lift to start out with and now at about 4 and some change. I don't remember my measurements from stock. but they wont sag that much over time. once they get settled you will be more than happy. I can fit 35's no problem just would need longer bump stops and regear.

the most important tool is pb blast! I didn't need a spring compressor. just take your time put all the parts in 2 groups 1 for front and 1 for rear. and read the directions that come with them.

which shocks did you order?

Comment

not to be a thread steeler and this question should help him will he need a SYE and a CV driveshaft or no? i'm also considering this lift so let me know how it goes and how much it settles

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff's_Jeep
          not to be a thread steeler and this question should help him will he need a SYE and a CV driveshaft or no? i'm also considering this lift so let me know how it goes and how much it settles
          Yes

Comment

use a 1/4" open end wrench on the top of the shock...this will keep the shaft from spinning....the sye would be your best bet... but a tcase drop may work... get it on and run it... if you have vibs... get some washers and longer bolts for a homemade tcase drop.... if that doesn't help then get an sye...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff's_Jeep
              Maybe. The 1" TC drop worked for me but it seems to be a crapshoot. Some aren't so lucky. Not going with an SYE is a short term work around anyway in my opinion.

Comment

The shocks I ordered are the Black Diamond Advanced Terrain Hydros.

Comment

do the sye

Comment

SYE and CV Driveshaft

If I do get the SYE do I also have to get the CV Driveshaft or will they work seperatly?

Comment

Gotta have 'em both.

Comment

You will never be sorry you got a SYE. It solves ALL the problems; vibration, shift linkage, and you get back 1" ground clearance!

Comment

I had the RE 3.5 SF lift, its the best kit out there for the money flex great and rides nice. I would make sure you get an adj. front track bar it will solve a lot of problems with tracking, I didn't like drilling my front mount out. Another thing is they usually sit about an inch or so lower in the front. If you have a 6cyl,A/C, and a winch I would suggest a 2/4 inch spacer to make the Jeep sit level. I'm not a fan of BD shocks but I never had the ones you ordered. I will tell you the OME shocks and Ranch RS9000's are all that I run on my Jeeps. The OME have a supurb ride very soft but not to the point where you get body roll. The RS9000's are nice because you can adjust them on the fly.

Comment

I am running the SF RE 3.5 and love it. I went with the OME and the ride is great. But i dont hve any friends running any thing other then the OME's so I dont have much to compare them to either.

Comment

Question?

Are you starting with the stock suspension?

Comment

Working...
                              X