X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detroit lockers, gearing question

amc 20, dana 30 are detroit lockers any good? trutrac or softlocker or both? would these be good with 4.88 gearing? should i do one piece axles at the same time? moser, superior? what about the stock locking hubs, should i change those out at the same time too? does it matter if i may want to do a front disc conversion later?

I run Detroit softlocks front and rear with 4:88 gearing. I put a d44 up front and 12bolt main in the rear so the actual ratio in both diffs is not axactly the same. It's within 1 or 2 so doesn't matter. The detroit soft locks are great. They allow for a little play around corners with very little noise. The only time they do make noise is if I just turned real sharp and slow on the street and then gassed it. Usually then it's a "pop" when it seats back in and then hold on. I run 35" tall tires with a stock T-15 tanny mated to a Dana 20 transfer. The gear ratio is good for dirving around town but for serious crawling I should of gone lower. You can find a gear ratio chart at most offroad sites, cant think of any of the names right now, but that would help with selection. I'm pretty sure they take into account you tranny and transfer case along with tire size.

Comment

I run a detroit in my amc 20 with superior axles, love it. I'm putting a air locker in the front so I can still run it open when I dont need the traction. I also put the old 6 bolt hubs on the front after constantly having to tighten and in the end breaking the small 5 bolt hubs.

Comment

A lot of questions. ‘85 CJ-7? It should have disk brakes on it. What do you plan to do with the CJ and what size tires are you wanting to run? Plus what tranny do you have in it now? Detroit’s take getting use to. I don’t recommend them with the T-5 tranny. Especially front and rear. The 5-bolt hub is not that bad if you keep the bolts tight. One-piece axles are a good idea if you plan to lock it. It’s your call on the Superiors or Mosers, they are both good. We really need a little more info.

Comment

Originally posted by tkcomer
          A lot of questions. ‘85 CJ-7? It should have disk brakes on it. What do you plan to do with the CJ and what size tires are you wanting to run? Plus what tranny do you have in it now? Detroit’s take getting use to. I don’t recommend them with the T-5 tranny. Especially front and rear. The 5-bolt hub is not that bad if you keep the bolts tight. One-piece axles are a good idea if you plan to lock it. It’s your call on the Superiors or Mosers, they are both good. We really need a little more info.

right, that was a typo...rear disc conversion. t-5 tranny, 33" tires. i don't do anything too crazy when i go out but i always seem to find a place to get stuck then i have to winch out. i want to do a V8 convert but i thought that with the money i can spend right now that gearing may be the better option and if i do gearing then i might as well do the lockers at the same time if i ever want to do them. i keep hearing all this stuff about one piece axles and the amc20. just wondering if detroits are better or if arb air lockers are better. i use it for a DD also so maybe arb is the way to go...

Comment

Working...
          X