X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny/ T-case?

Good News: Tinkered with timing and added thermostat, now engine is running good.
    Bad News:
    Im running the stock T-150/Dana 20 and have never had apart.
    It seems that the tranny fluid is moving into the transfer case.
    I noticed a lot of fluid coming out of the vent on top of the transfer case.
    When I checked and found low tranny fluid, I empty the remaining fluid out of the tranny to find only a small amount (2 cups), when I pull the Fill plug on the transfer case I get a ton of fluid gushing out.(Did this twice with same outcome.) I then refilled the tranny and left the fill plug out of the transfer case, and let it sit for a couple hours, and no oil overflowed out of the transfer case.
    I checked the vent on the tranny, and it works fine, Im guessing a leak developed between the two. Anyone had anything like this happen before?
    I also cant downshift into 2nd, not even by double clutching, It doesnÂ’t grind, just wont go in. Im thinking I fried a syncro with the lack of fluid in tranny. It runs up through the gears fine. The tranny has always made a little noise when cruising at steady speed, but never paid much mind.
    Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks, Todd

had/still have the same prob. i dont know if the oill supposed to be able to flow through there like that. i was going to seperate them to put them back in once and it started to leak a little bit of oil. put them back together and carried on. i may be ignorant on this one, but i think any input would help us both.

Comment

i would be surprised if the fluids were getting mixed. they're two different sealed boxes that are only bolted together. if the holes were big enough to allow mixing of fluids, you'd have huge puddles under the jeep and grinding gears.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
        i would be surprised if the fluids were getting mixed. they're two different sealed boxes that are only bolted together. if the holes were big enough to allow mixing of fluids, you'd have huge puddles under the jeep and grinding gears.
        Ding, ding, ding....And Ed, tell us what the nice Man FUBAR won...
        It would be the seal in between the cases is gone bad and when it moves it pumps the fluid down hill to the lower unit(transfer case). And fills it.
        I know it is not that hard to get them apart but I don't know how hard it is to replace the seal.

Comment

Had the exact same problem with my 77 cj7. I had no desire (or experience) to mess with the tranny or transfer case so off to the mechanic it went. All this info comes from the mechanic...by no means am I the expert. He replaced the seals in the t-case and tranny, made sure both vents were not plugged and boom...fixed the problem. As the mechanic explained, there is a shaft that runs between the two. The shaft has a seal around it, which in my case, started to leak on the bottom allowing fluid to seap into the t-case (the case generally sits lower than the tranny, thus filling it up) From there it overflowed out the vent hole and also from the pressure, seeped out both the rear and front driveshaft output seals. Hope this diagnosis is helpful (and correct).

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-One
            Ding, ding, ding....And Ed, tell us what the nice Man FUBAR won...
            ok...so i win this hat...

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
              ok...so i win this hat...
              Nope you don't get one of those. You just figured out the problem but didn't know it.
              I figured I would inform you that you got the question right.

Comment

Just did mine this past winter (t-150/d20). There is no seal between the two that I found. They ARE bolted together so they're easy to take apart,but,like I said...I didn't have a seal in mine. I don't have my manual here to look at or even my 4wd hardware catalog ,but, if you do a search on the t-150 there are breakdowns on the web to look at. If you're stuck, let me know and I'll check my book.
                As far as the shifting issues, I'd pull 'er down and go thru it. This was the 1st tranny I'd done since '89 and was a walk in the park (I had the manual on it ). If you wanna do it, I could fax you the pages you'll need. Parts are still easy to get for them too.

ragg
                Last edited by raggmann; 05-03-2005, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Hey Ragg, what is part#938031 in the catalog?
                  What seal does that one protect?
                  I figured this was the seal that went bad.

Comment

I'm not sure, my machine won't go back that far. I'll check my manual and re-post. I'm just going by memory right now, and I thinks it's failing.

ragg

Comment

Originally posted by raggmann
                      I'm not sure, my machine won't go back that far. I'll check my manual and re-post. I'm just going by memory right now, and I thinks it's failing.

ragg
                      No, the 4wd catalog.
                      I don't have a parts list for those years in front of me.

Comment

No, I don't have one here at the shop...I gave my last one to a customer last week. I'l look when I get home though.

ragg

Comment

part # 938031 is the oil seal for rear bearing retainer

Comment

Originally posted by beastiebrad
                            part # 938031 is the oil seal for rear bearing retainer
                            So, is that the seal to keep the oil in the unit??

Comment

If you did fry some of your tranny and you leave anywhere near Raleigh,NC I have one you can have really cheap (maybe $50 if that sounds reasonable). Or free if you can do a little welding work on a D44 I need to put in my CJ.

Comment

Working...
                              X