X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Top

I have a major problem. Just ordered and received a new besttop supertop for my 74 cj5. Just about done with my rebuild. I have never actually driven it yet on the road that is.
    I did a quick check on the measurement from the inside top of the frame to the back of the jeep. It was 66.5". The instructions say it must be 69.5".
    The windshield frame follows the fiberglass tub that I bought from 4wd hardware.
    Anyone have any ideas how I might fix this?
    Appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    Edit/Delete Message

best top measurement

Dear 74CJ7,

I have a '77 CJ7. I put a new best top on it about two years ago so I'm drawing from 'vague memory' here. I distinctly remember that I couldn't get the measurement recommended by Best Top from the windshield to the back of the tub, either. (I just can't remember if it was 3"...) I did what I usually do in a situation like that. I installed the top anyway and it fits fine. What are your options here?

Comment

Adjust the windsheild to make the distance. Also make sure that you are measuring from the right spot.
      If I remember right you have to measure from the outside edge. This mesurment is important. If you get this wrong you will have lots of problems with the doors as well as water seals.

Comment

I just install my supertop on my 74 CJ5 , my measurement was 68 1/2 " from the inside to the body edge . This is on a 4wd body , all I did was shim the windshield.

You have me stumped with your measurement of 66 1/2" , just to make sure did someone replace the windshield from a 1976 - up CJ5 ?? Where is your windhield wiper motor located inside or out ?

1976 - up windhield's slant back on more of a angle .

Comment

Had the same issue as blackwater with my 77 cj7. My measurement was off 1.5 inches. Had the windshield tilted as far back as it would go, but still could not make the recommended length. Decided to install the supertop anyway in hopes that it worked (did not think to shim). Had no problems. Fits well, seals well and so on.

Comment

new top

The wiper is outside the windshield frame. I bought the steel frame new a couple of years ago that was supposed to be for a 74, but who knows. I am just now getting ready to put it on the road. Money being the slowing factor. You all know the story. I bought a half inch thick piece of rubber and will use it to make my shim. This being a holiday weekend I won't get to it till Monday. Will let you all know how I make out.

Comment

You did get the right year top for your jeep didn't you? If you have a top for a 76 or later and you are trying to use the windsheild from a 74, I think that could be where you are having the problem.

Comment

new top

the top is for '55-75cj5

Comment

Do you have the right windsheild? Yours, like was stated, should have the wiper motor mounted on the outside of your windsheild. If you do not have this then you need to get a differnet winsheild or a different top. I am not sure how easy it is to swap out the top. I think it is just a matter of getting the right year. I think the bottom is the same just the winsheild angle and distance across the top of the frame.
                  Hope that helps. If you can include a pic or two it might help.

Comment

New Top

The wiper motor is on the lower left outside windshield frame. I made a gasket shim for the frame. Got the measurement to within a 1/4". My son and I installed the top last night. Need to make some door adjustments yet, the door tops don't seal well.
                    How has everyone with a fiberglass body fastened the bottom door hinges. I used self taper screws and they are not holding. Can't get to the holes because of an inner fiberglass panel to put in bolts and nuts.
                    I was thinking of cutting an access panel to gain the required access. What do you'all think?

Comment

when i got my new lower door hinges for my 78 cj7 ,I ordered longer bolts and went through the inner and outer and have had no problem at all!!! Good Luck

Comment

If your trying to mount the hinges on the actual door frame vs. outside of door on the body, then you'll probably have to cut out little access holes to put a nut on the back of the bolt. That wont hurt anything and if you want to fill it in, just get some of that expanding foam, spray it in, and then cut off the excess. Thats what I did on the top of the inner wall of my fiberglass body (behind the dash) while I was putting it all together. Otherwise, I know I would have dropped all kinds of bolts down there and then would have had to listen to the rattle going down the road. Let me know how it turns out. The soft top is another upcoming project fot my jeep.

Comment

Working...
                        X