Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t-5 costs

i had a ? on rebuildinga t-5.
    what is a normal price for getting a t-5 rebuilt?
    ive decided its time to start thinking about getting it rebuild before i get sranded somewhere. its shifts perfect, the only thing is it makes gear noise in 1st and 2nd. and sometimes 3rd.
    also, is there some sort of additive to cut down on gear noise until i get it rebuilt??? thanks o'wise ones!!

It will cost more than a T5 is worth to get it rebuilt. I say lice with it and gather the parts to do a T18 or T176 swap. Find a good 70's 2WD Ford truck T18 out a boneyard for around 100-200 bucks then get the D300 adaptor from novak or Advance for around 400.00. Or you can find a good used T176 that will bolt straight up to a D300, they were built to handle V8 power. Both would be cheaper than having a T5 re-built.

Comment

t5

Consider rebuilding it yourself?

Comment

i thought about rebuilding it myself, but, haynes says u need a few specialty tools that i dont have

Comment

Here is the rebuild manual: http://pomoforacing.com/tech/T5Rebuild2002.pdf T-5 trannys are not that bad if you don't have a rear locker and don't beat it on the street.

Comment

not to slam you tkcomer...but i have a friend that killed one behind a stock 258 with 30x9.5 all terrains...mine had one in it too, and i exploded 2nd and 3rd with one power shift to each gear, blew the last one up so bad that the case cracked (from flying debris i assume). even unlocked if you get spin and then suddenly get traction with even a 258 you can easily break it. the t-5 was hardly acceptable behind a bone stock cj with a 258. let alone anything with a lift and any larger meats, go with a t-176 as they can handle the power pretty well and prolly gonna be yor cheapest and simplest swap...however you will need to shorten the front driveshaft (did this myself on mine) and lengthen you rear shaft (bought h/d one on ebay for 175$ with new joints already installed and balanced). if you can find a t-177 it would be best as it has a more desirable first gear, but those are kinda getting hard to find as they only can in the j20s and a few j10s. i got lucky and scored my t-177, and np208, 304 bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel for about 430$ after shipping. i sold the 304 bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel for almost 270$ and i still have the np208. so far the tranny is holding up to my 465 lbs of torque and 480ish hp, it may not like it but it aint dead yet so i am happy. if you have alot of cash, go for the t-18a, it has the granny 6.32:1 first and you will prolly never break the sob. the drawback is the cost due to needing a few adapters.

Comment

Jeepman, you are right on some people having bad luck with the T-5. I rebuilt mine and destroyed it in 3 years. But it had 121,000 miles on it when it first came out. The first owner did not wheel. I bought the CJ and stuck Detroit Lockers front and rear and within 10,000 miles, destroyed it. It depends on what you do with the T-5. Not everyone is a hard wheeler. Heck, my SR-4 lasted 6 months behind a Chevy 350 in my old CJ. Longer than I thought it would. But I had bought a T-18 and was prepping it when the SR-4 let go.

Comment

lucky dawg i want a t-18...haha, i had good luck with my new boat anchor, it works very well, lol. i am very urprised an sr4 held up behind a 350, then again you may not beat on em like i do...i am very hard one my jeeps, already broke 2 t-5s and blown a motor...i am sure that my amc 20 wont last much more either, haha.

Comment

My jeep is down right now because of that damn t-5. First time I blew it I had ti rebuild ($900). Second this time I think im just gonna find one from a junked jeep for like 200, but it might not be worth my time.

Comment

bummer, i hadnt heard such bad news about a t-5 before. man, i also don't have the money to swap in a beter tranny. argh.. actualy, i might here shortly, but anothe rproblem will be finding the tranny u guys are talking about. not alot of choices in the salvage yards around here. ill give them a call 2morow if i have time.

when u say the t-176 has a more desirable first gear.... what do u mean? this jeep is my d.d. and my weekend wheeler. i dont want a super low crawling gear for first gear, i want to still be able to drive around town, and get the same aceleration i have, or close. ah man, the decitions.
                    Last edited by climbtothebeet; 05-06-2005, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by climbtothebeet
                      bummer, i hadnt heard such bad news about a t-5 before. man, i also don't have the money to swap in a beter tranny. argh.. actualy, i might here shortly, but anothe rproblem will be finding the tranny u guys are talking about. not alot of choices in the salvage yards around here. ill give them a call 2morow if i have time.

when u say the t-176 has a more desirable first gear.... what do u mean? this jeep is my d.d. and my weekend wheeler. i dont want a super low crawling gear for first gear, i want to still be able to drive around town, and get the same aceleration i have, or close. ah man, the decitions.
                      Stick with the T-5 then and stay away from burnouts and fast 90 degree corners. The PDF that was linked to is very good, I would recommend using it. But for the special tool you might want to get a clamp style holder for the dial indicater as you can see they had to use a c-clamp to hold it to the alum housing. But you could rebuild it again and save money.

Comment

no no no...the t-177 has a better first then the t-176, and it is not super low, actually it is higher than the t-5 by a little bit (longer first) but really all you lose is the overdrive

t-177(j10s and j20s) 1st-3.82:1
                        t-176(cjs) 1st-3.52:1
                        t-5 (boat anchor) 4.03:1

so as you can see the t-177 is right in the middle on the first gear, and the rest of the gears are basically very close in ratio, sept on either the t-176 or t-177 you lose overdrive as they are only 4 speed trannies

Comment

for the money

I had a 85 cj7 with a t-5. Had it rebuilt once because of gear noise, $700.00
                          About a year after that I had to replace a gear cluster, $400.00
                          The guy I sold it to just blew it so that may be another $700.00

That is about $1800.00 and a lot of bad words. After the 2nd time I never trusted the thing and would not get out too far by myself. If a guy had the money he would be better off to upgrade, Have you ever herd anyone say " That t-5 sure is a good transmission"?

Comment

lubricants

Dear Climb,

These guys can leave you sitting there wondering what the heck to do can't they? Knowledge is not only POWER... it can be very confusing at times. (I would just as soon sit at the controls of the space shuttle as try to rebuild a transmission.) Sounds like everyone addressed your tranny options and all the headaches they may create or resolve. (These guys kick A** don't they?) In your original post you mentioned a 'miracle fluid'. Well, there ain't none. However, I think I saw Royal Purple tranny lube in the last 4WD catalog. If there is anything out there that will help you limp along while you try to decipher the 'fix formula' it'll be that stuff. Drain the tranny and give it a shot. Ease up on the pedal and get a bigger piggy bank. Also, you can get a pretty high quality synthetic at Advance or Autozone. I think Valvoline makes one. Remember that if you wanted it easy you wouldn't be lovin' a Jeep. Good luck, man. blackwater

Comment

ok, for you guys who have swaped in a t177, what was the total cost? asuming i can find one around here.

also, those guys who have donw the swap, do u use oru cj for highway? i need to be able to drive on the highway with this jeep. im trying to get my jeep as reliable as i can before colledge, and i need to be able to drive home and back from colledge. soo.... thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X