X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Carb.

I have installed my rebuilt 360 and it is running great with the 2 barrel carb. but in the morning when it is cold it runs sluggish. When the temperature is warm it runs great! Any advice?

Should I install a 4 barrel carb and if so what kind is best and easiest to instal?

Originally posted by russell
    I have installed my rebuilt 360 and it is running great with the 2 barrel carb. but in the morning when it is cold it runs sluggish. When the temperature is warm it runs great! Any advice?

Should I install a 4 barrel carb and if so what kind is best and easiest to instal?
    Your adjustments are not right.
    How much more power you want? Yes, I would install a 4bbl. Holly Truck Avenger seems to be the best bet.

Comment

I agree with Lost-One, Holley Truck Avenger. Bolt it on and go!

Comment

Which one?

Do I get the 470 or the 670 and what is the difference?

Comment

I would go with the 670. The other one is made for smaller, lower HP engines. The 670 is a good midrange CFM carb for street or off-road use. You can always search the web for info. on the truck avenger and see what would work best for you application.

Have fun!

Comment

Would you guys suggest the Holley Truck Avenger over the Edelbrock AVS??? Any input would help. I'm looking at starting to modify my stock 304 AMC. Only thing modified so far is a set of headman headers.

Russell, I'm no mechanic but it does seem like it may be a adjustment issue. Maybe a choke or vacum line issue somewhere related to the egr valve or maybe vacum advanced distributor (if your jeep has those) ???

Comment

Holley vs. Edelbrock

Hey Tom, I can't remember which mag had the article, either Four Wheeler or JP, but they did a comparo on the Truck Avenger and the Edelbrock AVS. If I remember correctly they said both of them were very comparable in both performance and costs. I think they said one of them was easier to adjust than the other, but I think it would boil down to whether you're used to Holley's or not. I do recall reading several articles about the Holley just being a bolt on with very few, if any adjustments necessary.

Comment

Carb.

I spoke with the guy that owns Salvage Jeep in Statesboro, GA lastnight and that is exactly what he said about Holley. He said Holley was a bolt and ready carb but that Edelbrock was good too. So, I am guessing I will try readjusting my current 2 barrel and see what happens. My wallet is getting skinny!!

Comment

Just to give you another perspective. I have owned several different 4-barrel carburetors on different vehicles and Holleys are my least favorite. The advantage of Holleys is that they are relatively easy to work on. However, I really dislike the power valve feature that tends to blow out if the engine backfires. The end float design is a poor design compeared to a center bowl design, like the Qaudrajet or Edelbrock. If you want to change the mixture, you have to remove the bowls, which tend to leak after they have been removed. The older designs have terrible off-road manners, but I know that they have addressed this problem with the Truck Avenger model. I love my Edelbrock carburetor on my Jeep. It is a bolt on and go carburetor. It has a center bowl design and runs excellent in any conditions at any camber. (I have added spring-loaded needle and seats). There are no gaskets below the air horn, so there is no possibility of any stray leaks. Since it's a metering-rod design (instead of a power valve), I can change my mixture by simply loosening 2 small plates on the top of the carburetor & changing the metering rods. It takes about 5 minutes and no potential for leaks. The electric choke works great and starts up in -15 degree mornings every time like clockwork. Plus, I get great gas mileage. If you offered me a Holley plus $200 cash, I would still not change my carburetor. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Thanks

Thank You all for your advice and insight! I am taking my Jeep to the mechanic to get adjusted by someone that is a better adjuster than me. Thanks to all!

Comment

Working...
                    X