X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll bar padding?

What do you guys use for roll bar padding? I'm tired of hitting my head on the cage and I want to wrap it with something. I haven't been able to find any pipe insulation big enough to fit over the tubes, so I'm wondering what's out there. I also don't like the look of wrapping it with electrical tape and I'm not sure zip-ties are the best solution either. Let me know what y'all think!

I bought a Bestop pad from 4wd for my 84, It's foam padding with zippered cover. It looks good once it's on but it's a 2 man job to get all the padding in place and zipped up.Check the catalog under sport bar covers. DP

Comment

Thanks, but I have a custom cage and the factory covers won't work. I guess I should have mentioned that in my post. I'm looking to do some kind of custom padding covers, but I just can't find the right padding.

Comment

You should be able to pick up roll cage padding from most Sand rail / Dune buggy shops. Have you tried any of the big off road afftermarket catalogs? After you get the padding, the local auto apholestry (SP?) shop could probably make the covers, that could get expensive though. At least they could sell you the right material for the job... I'm looking to so the same thing, if I find anything simple in the next couple of days, I'll post it.

Comment

Sorry, no sand rail/dune shops here in No. Colorado and I've checked most of the major 4WD catalogs for what I want. Some of them have the kits for stock roll bars, but as mentioned earlier, I need something custom. Really, I'm just looking for a good suggestion on the padding and then I can figure out how I want to attach them. I'm thinking about checking the local plumbing supply warehouse to see if they have any real big pipe insulation. Let me know if you find something else in the meantime.

Comment

what is the outer diameter of the tubing for your cage?

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's 2 1/2 inches. The full cage was basically welded to the original roll bar and then welded to the frame.

Comment

Hey Tommy, i just went on EBAY and searched for padding. A couple of diffent types popped up. If you don't find anything there, I used plain old pipe insulation on my old cage. It was 2" thick, inside diameter, I dont really know if they make that type of pipe insulation thicker.

Comment

Do you know anyone that can sew? My rollbar padding is just some flat padding with a vinyl fabric covering held together with a zipper. All you have to do is have someone custom sew a cover. Or if you are not in the mood to deal with zippers you could lace it up.

Comment

Have you tried a performance parts/racing equipement store? There are lots of brand mane suppliers on the net. I'm not sure if their link can be posted here.

Comment

summitracing has some but I think it only goes up to 2" thickness.

Comment

This may sound stupid...but I used scraps of carpet padding that I had in the basement. Worked great. I put it under the covers that I had. Zipped them up and was finished.

You could probably get some free scraps at a carpet store.

Comment

Hey actually the carpet padding might provide more protection than some of the stuff out there. If nothing else, it makes for a good camp fire discussion.

Comment

Roll bar padding

I'm also looking for padding for my 76 CJ. I see lots of padding for 1878's and up models, but nothing for the 76 models. The 76 models have the main bar mounting to the fender well. the later models have the main bar mounting to the back floor board.
                            I bought some 2inch pipe insulation from the hardware store and have the pieces cut. I am going to carry them to a uphostery shop and have them to cover them with a canvas material matching my interior color.
                            Has anyone every seen or know where to buy padding to fit the 76 roll bars?

Comment

Originally posted by pnorris
                              I'm also looking for padding for my 76 CJ. I see lots of padding for 1878's and up models, but nothing for the 76 models. The 76 models have the main bar mounting to the fender well. the later models have the main bar mounting to the back floor board.
                              I bought some 2inch pipe insulation from the hardware store and have the pieces cut. I am going to carry them to a uphostery shop and have them to cover them with a canvas material matching my interior color.
                              Has anyone every seen or know where to buy padding to fit the 76 roll bars?
                              I thought I knew everything about jeeps, didn't know they made them in 1878..... j/k
                              The roll bar was changed late 78-79. I think you can get the kit for the later years but it really looks bad on the old rollbars. If you can do custom work you could make it better. If you have the rollbar from a later year jeep then you can use the later ones.
                              If your roll bar mounts enterally on your rear fender you have the old version, If it has one mounting point on the fender and the other on the floor you have the newer version.

Comment

Working...
                              X