X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing amc 20 stock axle shafts

got axle out from under jeep and getting ready to put in one piece axle kit.

How do I get stock axle shafts out? Thanks

open the pumpkin, find the bolt holding the cross-pin in, remove the bolt, slid the cross pin out, push axle shafts in, remove the c-clips, then pull the axle shafts out...

Comment

If I remember right ... there are no c clips in the 20s. You simply take the 5 bolts off the backing plates and then put a slide hammer on the end and they pop right out?? PM mjo79 on here ... he just put a set in a few months ago

Comment

Tell me you didn't remove the entire axle from under the jeep to do this....
        All of this work could be done with it attached to the vehicle.
        You will have to remove all of your brakes, right down to the backing plate.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/P3050015.jpg
        I recommend getting some book for a reference help. Chiltons or Haynes either will work. Then you will need to remove the bolts from the backing plate. As you are going to one piece axles leave the hub on, it will give you something to get a hold of. Yank hard, you will pop the whole axle out. You will have to remove the brake lines if you do it this way. If you don't want to mess with the brake lines you will have to remove the hub and that is a bit of a pain.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/P3040009.jpg

Comment

I am about to do the same job. Do you have to remove the hubs to get the axle out or can you not get to the backing plate bolts with it on there?

Comment

If you are not planning to reuse your axles you can leave the hubs on. It is a bit of a pain to pull the bolts without pulling the hub. But I think it is more of a pain to pull the hubs.

Comment

When I pulled my shafts a few months back, I could not seperate the hub from the axle while it was still installed. I tried a heavy-heavy duty puller and they wouldn't budge. I had to take mine and press them out (It took 25 tons before one let loose). And yes I bent one of my backing plates a bit - try finding one of them! It should not be that difficult to pull the shafts out though. Like was said before use a slide hammer and they should come right out.

Comment

amc 20

No Lost-One. I didn't pull out the entire axle just to do this

Comment

Originally posted by cj71981
                  No Lost-One. I didn't pull out the entire axle just to do this
                  Man I would hope not, but that is what it sounded like in the post. You should have no problems, like I said get a book though to help out. If you need some pics follow the link of the other ones I posted. I took a few when I was doing a regear. That way I have some pics for tear down on file.

Comment

my bad...was thinking bout 8.8, was working on one all weekend for a friend. just kinda goin crazy a little.

Comment

don't worry about it

JeepMan, thanks for the input
                      Thanks everyone

Comment

erroneous posts

It would seem that 'Lost One' is a very gracious participant... Haynes, Chiltons and all. Let the spirit of Jeep reign...

It sounded like the entire thing had been removed.

Comment

axle

Well I did pull the entire axle ,but not just for the one piece axle kit. I'm also installing new 4.10 gears,welding the tubes, considering a truss, and a putting in a locker. I've never done any work like this before so I figured if I got stuck or needed to have something done I could just throw the axle in the back of the pickup and go wherever.
                          bodine, you should be able to get to those nuts w/o removing the hub. It just hit me tonight to say heck with the hubs and pull the entire shaft out b/c I'm installing the Moser one piece kit anyway. That was very gracious of you Lost-One. Thank You all

Comment

After you remove the brakes and flange bolts place the drum on backwards tighten the lug nuts a few turns and use as a "slide hammer". Axles will come right out.

Comment

Thanks

Awesome ,i'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                              X