X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Carpet

A few months ago I tore out my old worn out carpet that came with my CJ when I bought it. It's now time to put a new one in and I'm not quite sure which brand to use. I already bought and tried the molded Vinyl which cost near $200 and was an absolute PITA. It did not form fit, and it was like working with a peice of steel. Needless to say I returned the vinyl and I'd like to stick with carpet. Any suggestions? I was looking at the Nifty Proline brand...or anyting that is EASY to install. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

First, are you sure you want carpet? I ask because after you put in the Nifty proline it does cause other problems. Noteably around the tranny area. Plus when it gets dirty you have to clean it.
    I have the Nifty and I love it. I just dread when I got to get to the tranny area. Now the Nifty does not install easy over fiberglass but if you pay attention to your cutting you can make it look very professional. But I don't let this jeep get into any serious stuff, it's my DD.
    Form fitting it is. Plan a few extra cans of glue. I used two and could have used a third.
    Plus it does cut down on the echo you get in the jeep.

Comment

I really don't mind cleaning my carpet if it gets dirty so that's not really an issue for me. I will be using my CJ for a daily driver as well and don't plan on driving in mud. Not really going to worry much about rain, even though I live in Oregon. I'm planning on using my CJ as a summer only vehicle, not to mention the fact I'd rather invest $400 into something else instead of replacing the top which is all torn up. Oh, and I don't have to deal with that stinking fiberglass. I got lucky and ended up with a rust free steel tub.

Comment

Originally posted by xj_colt
        I really don't mind cleaning my carpet if it gets dirty so that's not really an issue for me. I will be using my CJ for a daily driver as well and don't plan on driving in mud. Not really going to worry much about rain, even though I live in Oregon. I'm planning on using my CJ as a summer only vehicle, not to mention the fact I'd rather invest $400 into something else instead of replacing the top which is all torn up. Oh, and I don't have to deal with that stinking fiberglass. I got lucky and ended up with a rust free steel tub.
        Sorry to break your plans but you do not want carpet.
        First reason is you mention that you don't have a top.
        The carpet gets wet it will smell.
        Also you don't have a top and you have a steel body. When it gets wet it will make the tub rust out faster. I would duraliner it if you don't plan on a top.
        It may look nice but you will hate yourself later for it.

Comment

mine had carpet in when i got it. tore it out because i was worried about rust. luckily it must have jsut gotten carpeted, since there was not rust. best and cheapest thing you can do is not put carpet in there. i hurculined mine. 70 bucks and a full day, but worth it. then you can cut small pieces of carpet that you can pull out easily if it gets wet. get some marine backed carpet and throw it in there. if you care about your tub, keep the carpet out of there. also, the hurculiner doesnt look bad if you do it good, plus you can get it in black, grey, or red i think.....

Comment

Where to go for Hurculine or Duraliner?

Hey guys, where do you go to get the spray in liner? Or was yours preformed? Does it really seal the floor so no more rust from the inside?

Comment

i bought a complete NPI carpet set when i did my resto. it's still in the box. my tub is lined with herculiner from kmart/walmart or where ever it was on sale when i got it. i doubt i'll ever use the carpet. nice investment huh?

Comment

One of my friends just did the herculiner. It actually looks real good and it's a lot cheaper than the line-x or rhino-liner.

Comment

i got my herculiner kit from fleet farm. dont know if you have any of those by you. but you could probably find a kit at autozone or some other place. just make sure you take 90% of your time doing prep work, taping off, etc..

Comment

i did a herculiner kit from checker ($80 on sale). i love it and you can just hose it out. spent all my time removing seats, roll bar, etc. and sanding and cutting rust out. the liner goes on pretty easy. one nite then the next day to touch up what you missed. just remember to prep well...

Comment

Working...
                    X