Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Or Electrical..what Now!!

All-
    Appreciate the help is you can and its probably an easy question for most of you..For the past 2 months jeep starts fine but when the key was turned..the starter sounded "a litttle funny". Cranks fine but just sounded like it was laboring. Today, I turn the key and it cranks but does not start..I turn the key off and then when I turn to start a second time..nothing. No crank, and there is not a drop of juice going to the guages or radio..headlights will not go on either. I am certain the battery is good and it is quite new. Does this sound like a problem someone else has had-I'm sure of it. Could it be something as simple as a starter selenoid?

Start with the easiest, make sure the bat terminals are tight and clean and the ground cable from the neg post to the frame is a good connection a bad ground can cause alot of problems. DP

Comment

DPete-
      All obvious connections look intact, all connections and grounds appear to be good, with no corrosion.....

Comment

battery

It sounds like you might be grouping different problems into the same pile. The 'starter sounding funny' sounds like developing starter trouble... Then again, if 'starting sounding funny' meant 'laboring', your battery may have been slowly giving up the ghost 'new' or not. If you've checked the connections like DPete suggested and you're satisfied on that front then before I got to digging around in all that 'electrical stuff' I'd take that battery down to Autozone or Advance and have them give it a check. (The no lights or gauges thing is what makes me suspect the battery.) No matter what's going on with your wiring/switches etc., your lights should come on and burn bright if you have a good/well-charged battery. Your starter solenoid ain't gettin' the juice necessary to send anything to the starter. A battery CAN go out, as they say, 'like a light', though that isn't the normal type of failure. If the battery is okay go over those connections again... especially the grounds. If the battery is okay but in need of a serious charge, you still may have termination problems. You can show adequate voltage and still not have adequate current flow... 'laboring starter'. If it does turn out to be the battery and your funny sounding starter doesn't stop sounding funny then you might better be on the lookout for it to go next. Remember that two cents is just two cents. Good Luck, Big Mike. Blackwater

Comment

Had a similar problem with a starter on a Chevy truck. How old is the starter? My problem was short in the starter/starter selenoid. Most auto parts stores could check that for you if you take the parts to them. Good luck.

Comment

Sound like a dead cell in the battery. I've had one do the same thing. Follow Blackwaters advice; take it to AutoZone and have it tested.

Comment

Update..Kragen said it was good and terminals dirty..cleaned terminals..in jeep...started right up. I feel dumb, thanks guys and gals. They looked clean to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike
                Update..Kragen said it was good and terminals dirty..cleaned terminals..in jeep...started right up. I feel dumb, thanks guys and gals. They looked clean to me.
                Ok, so you learned a lesson. YOU never "look" at a electrical connection. YOU take it apart, check it and make sure it goes back together clean.

Comment

Those felt washers that go over the bat posts are helpful keeping corrosion down they're cheap enough too. The Interstate battery guy where I buy batterys for my equipment swears by them. DP

Comment

Originally posted by DPete
                    Those felt washers that go over the bat posts are helpful keeping corrosion down they're cheap enough too. The Interstate battery guy where I buy batterys for my equipment swears by them. DP
                    I spray mine and cover them. Makes a messy with the posts but I don't have to worry. Plus with them covered, the messy stays put, and not on my hands.

I forgot, I also have the little felt thingys. They do help with corrosion.

Comment

Working...
                    X