X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I4/I6 engine swap

I have an 81 CJ5 with a I4 and an 77 CJ5 with an I6 (25. I have read that it is difficult and expensive to swap from jeep to another. Why is this?

Only if you want to use different trannys. If you pull the tranny out with the engine and move all of it. Not that bad, might need new driveshafts. But I think you would be fine. Some of the 4 poppers were a GM so they bell housings were different. But the frames were the same so you should be able to pull everything over. I think this would be good gear wize also. If I remember right the 4 bangers had 4.10 gears or something like that.

Comment

Thanks! that was kind of what i was thinking. I am swaping trannys too, because the 81 has the SR4 and i have replaced it twice alraedy. I have saved the drive shafts off of the 77 just in case the engine setback is going to change from 81 to 77

Comment

It will change. Use all of the running gear from the 77. That should just bolt up there. Did you save the skidplate also? I think the skidplates might have changed. I know they did somewhere in there as my 83 is different than my 79.
        However all of the holes to bolt into on the frame are the same so you just have to get the right parts. Shouldn't be to hard.

Comment

Thats what i hoping. I have both jeeps sitting right next to each other And was hoping for an easy swap. the 77 is rusty, but complete and the 81 is cherry. Not sure on the axle ratio yet 4:10's would be nice. I lifted it 4" and put 12:50 33's under it. Thanks for your input

Comment

Are you getting rid of your 4Cyl? How does it run? Where are you located? I'm picking up a Scrambler this Thursday and it has a blown 4 banger. David

Comment

It's the GM 4cy. Profesionaly rebuilt before i bought the jeep has about 5000 miles on it. The only problem is rear main seal leaks, might be just the oil pan gasket? I'm not sure, Only leaks for a miniute after the engine is turned off runs great. just under powered for the way my jeep is set up. Located in Michigan's Upper peninsulia Escanaba 49829 2 hours north of Greenbay Wi.

Comment

Originally posted by bf5013
                .......Located in Michigan's Upper peninsulia Escanaba 49829 2 hours north of Greenbay Wi.
                Ahhhh, another Yoooper.........
                Glad to have you along, I am a LP boy myself but I love the country up there. Only natural part of Michigan left.

Comment

A troll!!! ha ha just kiddin. lot of mud up here right now. darn cold too, where about in the LP?

Comment

A troll!!! ha ha just kiddin. lot of mud up here right now. darn cold too, where about in the LP?
                    Right now St. Joe. Grew up in the dead middle. Had lots of relitives in the upper lower parts, so I got up there often. Only been to da UP a few times, eh? Had some friends go to MTU, needless to say I had to visit them.
                    But back to Jeep engines...

Comment

good idea. I'm new to the 258 engine, i see that the intake and exhaust are conected together by a plenum and share the same mounting bolts, if put a header on this do i have to change the intake also?

Comment

good idea. I'm new to the 258 engine, i see that the intake and exhaust are conected together by a plenum and share the same mounting bolts, if put a header on this do i have to change the intake also?
                        Good chance yes. In the later years they went to a tube to get exhaust in. You need one of these intakes. Then match up the tube or plug it.
                        If you are gonna go to a header get a 4 bbl intake also....
                        Money pit here we come......

Comment

Any sugestions on an intake and carb setup? 4 bbl just seems like it would drown out the a 6cyl engine

Comment

You have many options, MFI; expensive but cool as all get out.
                            Webber; reasonable fix.
                            Carter; takes a bit of finesse to get to work.
                            Or Offenhouser 4bbl intake and a 4bbl carb. I have not done this set-up but have heard raves from people that have. I guess the 258 is a breathy beast and can easly suck a 4bbl down without missing a beat.
                            What way to you want to go?

Comment

Thinking right now I'm just going to get this thing swapped and running then figure out the intake exhaust thing. you have been a great help, thanks
                              i sense a money pit comming

Comment

Working...
                              X