X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heater removal

hey guys, i'd like to remove my jeeps heater until i can get a mojave heater replacement. i'm just not a fan of the big pull knobs and the massive space it takes up under the dash. is there a way to remove the heater and just cap off the coolant lines? i'd like to still be able to drive it around and stuff w/o the heater hooked up..what steps will i have to take to achieve this? thanks for any info oh by the way, i've got the 258 I-6 w/o a/c
    Last edited by JT85cj7; 05-09-2005, 07:28 PM. Reason: forgot to tell what engine size

if one hose is long enough to reach there the other hose attaches to the engine, just remove the left over hose. you could splice the hoses together for the same effect but would have a lot of loose hose flopping around.

Comment

Its not too tough to pull the whole assembly...you need to pull the battery. There are 4-7/16" bolts to unscrew, but the hard one is directly behind the valve cover. Once they are out, you need to pull off the little u shaped drain below the battery. The issue would be you now have no vent/defrost/or regulat heat. If your core is good, and the motor is good. It puts out a lot of head. From the catalog, you can get a duct to attach which blows the heat at your passengers and your feet instead of the shift.

Comment

ok, well mike my heater works great, BUT i just don't like the pull knobs and crap on and under my dash....just old technology...i'm customizing my new dash and knobs aren't on the visual image i have...i'm not really understanding on what to do with the hoses tho. it was explained but i'm still lost

Comment

You should have 2 heater lines running from the engine to the firewall and into the heater. That is usually on the passenger side underneath the battery tray. Follow those lines back from the engine wall to wherever they connect to the engine. One is going to be on the water pump and the other probably on the intake or head, depending on the engine, towards the back of the engine. If one of the hoses is long enough, just take the short one off and attach the long enough one to the other outlet on the engine. Now you should have a hose going from the water pump to the intake or head, instead of 2 going off of the engine to the heater. That should do it.
          I just installed the heater craft heater into my jeep. Much cleaner under the dash and less bulky all around. I know what you mean about all the pull knobs and indicators. Got rid of 8 holes all together.

Comment

Roger all, since you are a custom dash..the knobs and holes are immaterial..but won't you lose vent and defrost?

Comment

On the heater craft there are 2 different out lets. On mine one tube is going directly to defrost, the other will be the dash mounted ducts. As far as vent, technically i wont have the vent. However, in a jeep with no top, do you really need a vent? The air pick-up on my heater will come directly from the fan on the motor inside the jeep. Kinda like having recirculation air when I do put a top on.

Comment

Hose Sizes

JT,

I thought of something while I was reading through the replies on your post. On my 304 the hoses aren't the same diameter. One is a 5/8" hose and the other is a 3/4". You may need to take this into account when you bypass the heater core. The 5/8" hose 'might' fit over the 3/4" connection with a bit of tlc and pressure... The 3/4" hose is likely to leak on the 5/8" connection. (Remember that I'm not sure you have this set up. Just thought I'd mention it before you found out twenty miles from home on your own.) If your hoses are set up like this, and you have to use the 3/4" hose on the smaller connector, try multiple clamps to insure a good seal. Good luck, JT. blackwater

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
                  JT,

I thought of something while I was reading through the replies on your post. On my 304 the hoses aren't the same diameter. One is a 5/8" hose and the other is a 3/4". You may need to take this into account when you bypass the heater core. The 5/8" hose 'might' fit over the 3/4" connection with a bit of tlc and pressure... The 3/4" hose is likely to leak on the 5/8" connection. (Remember that I'm not sure you have this set up. Just thought I'd mention it before you found out twenty miles from home on your own.) If your hoses are set up like this, and you have to use the 3/4" hose on the smaller connector, try multiple clamps to insure a good seal. Good luck, JT. blackwater
                  Or put permatex around inside it and let it harden. That will make sure you have no leak. But when you go to take it off you will need to cut it.

Comment

Working...
                  X