X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proud new father, or aah owner.

I just got my first cj. It's a 79 cj5 3 speed 4.2L and all stock. Can you guys give me any tips on what I should check for on the jeep or mods that should be done asap. The engine needs work the there about 8" of wonder in the steering wheel. The wheels really need to stick out futher form the body. The rust isn't too bad and the frame is in good shape. I know yj's and tj's but nothing about cj's please give me some tips.

Let me be the first to say

Congrats on the purchase. The old 258 I6 was a great engine. I loved the one that I had in my old CJ5...unfortunately my horsepower craving was too great.

So what are your intentions with this Jeep? Lift? Tire size you want? Trail? Rocks? Mud? Use it in winter or just summer only?

My only tips without more info are:
    1. Check the frame carefully for rust.
    2. Change any iffy brake lines, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.
    3. If you do increase tire size, consider possibly regearing into your cost of lift, wheels, tires, locker, etc.

Comment

Dude...

YOU GOT A CJ!

Congratulations... Ditto on Evil's suggestions. You mentioned eight inches of play in your steering wheel. That'll kill a fellow on the roads in my neck of the woods. After you check Evil's stuff I'd highly recommend addressing that play in the wheel. LOTS of stuff can cause that. I wouldn't even think about oversizing tires (your post sounds like you might have original tires and wheels) 'till you get the 'play thing' straightened out. (Then again, you might be the wild, free-spirited, adventurous sort prone to sudden and unplanned trips out through the trees... After all, you DID buy a CJ...) Tie rod ends, steering box, spring and shackle bushings front and back, poor tires/alignment. Get it steering to where you feel as if you're actually driving it instead of the other way around. Then, get on here and read, read, read. These guys KNOW their stuff, Shack. Good luck with your new baby. Also, buy yourself a solid maintenance manual. I like Granville King's 'Jeep Bible' for the older Jeeps, but I'm sure there are many more, probably some better, out there. The guys on this forum will keep you straight. Oh, remember about the empty pocket thing and you'll be good to go. And don't be a Wus... when you empty all the pockets, break out the plastic! It's a CJ! blackwater

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
        YOU GOT A CJ!

Congratulations... Ditto on Evil's suggestions. You mentioned eight inches of play in your steering wheel. That'll kill a fellow on the roads in my neck of the woods. After you check Evil's stuff I'd highly recommend addressing that play in the wheel. LOTS of stuff can cause that. I wouldn't even think about oversizing tires (your post sounds like you might have original tires and wheels) 'till you get the 'play thing' straightened out. (Then again, you might be the wild, free-spirited, adventurous sort prone to sudden and unplanned trips out through the trees... After all, you DID buy a CJ...) Tie rod ends, steering box, spring and shackle bushings front and back, poor tires/alignment. Get it steering to where you feel as if you're actually driving it instead of the other way around. Then, get on here and read, read, read. These guys KNOW their stuff, Shack. Good luck with your new baby. Also, buy yourself a solid maintenance manual. I like Granville King's 'Jeep Bible' for the older Jeeps, but I'm sure there are many more, probably some better, out there. The guys on this forum will keep you straight. Oh, remember about the empty pocket thing and you'll be good to go. And don't be a Wus... when you empty all the pockets, break out the plastic! It's a CJ! blackwater
        IMHO there is only one Jeep Bible FSM .
        But yes to the rest, get the front under control before it kills you.

Comment

Working...
        X