Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any down sides to the 401 amc

Only two that I know of:

1. Finding one for a decent price.

2. It is an AMC V8 so the oil pump will always be an issue (oil pump part of the Aluminum timing cover)

They make sick power with just a few mild upgrades. Car Craft (or maybe Hot Rod) magazine had one pumping out over 500 HP on pump gas with mostly stock parts.

Comment

had a 95 jeep for a very short time and just bought a 79 cj7, fiberglass body 401 bored .040, je pistons,10.1 comp,pretty heavy cam,turbo 400 trans,4.27 front/rear with dana 44's etc.. sorry but im a little excited about it but never really did any research first so im hoping not to hear too much negitive.thanks for the response!

Comment

I heard once they're harder to keep cool - thin cylinder walls. just heresay though, no personal experience......

Comment

?

Cruiser...

Don't apologize... Who WOULDN'T be excited over a mill like that?

Comment

Oiling issues is the biggest complaint, see what you at idle hot oil pressure is. The aluminum front end cover is a PITA it scores easily. They tend to starve the rear bearing of oil on hard acceloration or sustained high RPM's. Take a look at www.bulltear.com those guys are AMC motor guru's. By the way congrats on the 401 its a real beast!!!

Comment

any of the AMC motors can run hot just make sure you have a good raddy and fan there are lines that you can run from the back of the intake on each side to help keep it a little cooler
              oiling can be a problem with low pressure oil pump - bearings they say around 10 psi for each 1000 rpm you run is ok oil pressure
              there is a oil mod that goes under the intake to help with the rear main bearing low rpm I dont think it is all that needed

the good news is they come from the factory with steel crank and rods very strong 1" wrist pins good flowing heads for the 360-390-401

Comment

I know of some major downsides that nobody has said.
                1: Get ready to break a lot of
                2: You will Never be able to drive it in the rain. Power to weight ratio.

Would I put one in a CJ............

Comment

amc has the absolute best combination of bore/stroke out there. one thing i've found is that when rebuilt, if you don't use hydro lifters you can get cam walk. i used hydo lifters in my 304, but still used an anti-cam walk kit. worth the money to me. as much as i'm against high volume oil pumps, i also used one of those to.

Comment

hey guys(or girls), thanks for the feedback.runnin around town the other day in about 80 degree temp and my oil pressure stayed about19 to 22 at the light at around 700 rpm. temp at just around 185. wanted to know about that idea for the addtl lines run off the intake.if you have any idea where i can go further with that idea please post it. shes pretty for now but as soon as im a little morefamilar with her shes hittin the trails!

Comment

the extra coolinf lines on the intake ?
                      what oil pressure when you are driving it ?

Comment

does anyone make high volume oil pump/gear kits for the amc v8's? i realize it's not a separate pump like most motors and that it's part of the block/timing cover, but i've never seen a high volume kit.

Comment

no there is nothing out there unless you want to spend BIG bucks

Comment

runnin around 40 to 50 at various rpm's(digital gauges that im realizing real fast are not the most accurate)

Comment

40 to 50 thats not bad

Comment

Working...
                              X