X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to change oil in D300

Anyone know how to replace the gear oil in a dana 300? My chiltons and haynes were buried/lost after I moved. I found a fill screw toward the middle on the side at the back of the case but am unsure how to drain it. I am replacing my differential oil right now and thought I may as well do the transfer case at the same time since it is leaking and may be low. Also, what fluid does the T5 tranny use?

i believe stock the T5 uses Dexron III, but it should be fine with gear lube, i hear Pennzoil synchormesh works real well.

Comment

There is a small allen head screw on the bottom of the T-case. There is a hole in the skid plate to get to it, it's on the passenger side in the back of the T-case underneath.

Comment

Thanks for the help I was able to figure it out.

Comment

While I'm at it ......does the amc 20 require RTV sealant around the cork gasket?

Comment

Originally posted by thejeepingoat
            i believe stock the T5 uses Dexron III, but it should be fine with gear lube, i hear Pennzoil synchormesh works real well.
            Gear lube will not work well, sorry found out the hard way.
            The Pennzoil synchormesh is however the right stuff, looked it up after being wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-One
              Gear lube will not work well, sorry found out the hard way.
              The Pennzoil synchormesh is however the right stuff, looked it up after being wrong.
              i ran for years without ever knowing what was in there (i had just bought it) and had no problems. I just decided to freshen the tranny when the engine was out and threw some synchromesh in.

Comment

tcase fluid change

Spelunker, did you have any problems draining once you found the plug? My plug is offset of the hole in the skid. What kind of wrench did you use?

Comment

CJ1981, I ended up using the torx T40 I used on the amc 20 diff cover cause I couldnt find my allens, but it is supposed to take an allen. It was a little offset from the hole on the bottom of the skid plate but I had enough room to get it out after I scraped out all the greast dirt that was built up btw the transfer case and the skid plate.

Comment

is the synchromesh by pennzoil more comparable to an atf of to a gear lube? i dont mean to take over your post, but if you can use it in your t5, can i use it in my t150?

Comment

Originally posted by spelunker
                      While I'm at it ......does the amc 20 require RTV sealant around the cork gasket?
                      I've always used a little RTV on my AMC20 diff cover. No leaks thus far.

If you're changing the fluid in you transmission and D300 tranfer case, use SYNTHETIC. I put Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in my T176 & D300 years ago. Got it in the diffs too. Besides, that's what the Jeep Bible recommends.
                      Last edited by rmy; 05-17-2005, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X