X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle swaps.

I have a 84 cj7 with the amc 20 and the dana 30. I have a couple questions... what are the widths of the stock axles. And what would be a better swap canidate, a wagoneer, or a scoutII? And what are the widths of the scout and wagoneer axles?

i'm not sure about the waggy, but the scout will most likely have an offset rear end. that means the tires will stick out further on one side than the other or you'll have a lot of work in having them cut. there have been rumors about centered scouts, but i've never seen one.

Comment

Hmm, of all the write ups I have read none of them said anyhting about the rear being not centered. They all said that all you have to do was grind off the spring perches and move them like 3/4 of an inch.

Comment

axle swap

k fubar doesnt know what he is talkin about.....waggy's are the ones with offset rear ends scouts are centered. now.......waggy widths are around 61 inches and scouts are around 58 or 59......obviously a waggy rear is a bad option b/c of the offset but a scout front end is not necissarily a bad choice but its almost impossible to install it without cutting and turning the knuckles b/c of the castor, ive heard that if you do a shackle reversal it solves the castor problem but i have seen no proof. ikm want to go full size as well ive been thinkin about doin a waggy front and a scout rear and doin wheels spacers in the rear to even them out.....i think thats all the info i have to share....if you here anything diffewrent or diecide what to do let me know so i can get more ideas for my own swap. later

Comment

Now, my friend has scout axles in his truck, and he didnt mess with the castor angle at all. His is on a yj though. Anyways, besides the jeep not correcting itself in a turn, what is bad about the castor angle?

Comment

scout rears are centered, wagoneer axles that came with quaratrac x-fer case (which was most 1974-1979) are offset, 1980-1986 rear wagoneer axles are a centered heavy-duty AMC20 that has 1 piece shafts unlike the CJ, 1987-1991 wagoneer rear axles are centered Dana 44.

as far as the front goes
            the late scouts (79 & 80) actually had better caster than the earlier ones, maybe your buddy has one of those.

The front wagoneer is the better choice too, because you can easily put internal spline hubs on them.

-Mel

Comment

so i'm dislexic. me sue.....

Comment

I would but you'd prolly send me a bill instead of a check

Comment

Working...
                X