Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33" Tires - How much lift for clearance?

Getting my 33s this weekend. Getting a lift next weekend. How much lift for my '74 CJ7? Don't want to go more than necessary for full run of the suspension. Will 12.5W tires rub the sidewalls with 8"W wheels?

Looking forward to the start of a long term project... Wheelin in the woods!

There are a few other threads that talk about what kind of lift you need for 33's in the forum, you should do a search. I am about to pick up some 33's tomorrow, Who hoo. From what I understand you should have a 2.5 inch suspension lift and probably a 1 inch body lift to not rub on full articluation. Another thing you may want to try is to cut the fenders up front and cut out the wheelwells in back. Someone said they drew a line using the top of the fender flares and cut, then put them back on, its just an idea.

Comment

I have 33" 12.5 thornbirds (pretty wide, maybe 13.5-14")

All I have for a lift is a 2" shackle. I have my swaybar disconnected and don't rub up top at all. I have narrow trac axles so i rub on the springs while turning, and on the inner wheel wells in the back, but thats just because of the width of the tires

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...1/DCP_2152.jpg
      -Nick

Comment

33X10.5 instead?

If I go with 33 X 10.5 X 15 will that cure the rubbing on the springs and rear wheel wells? Running15x8 rims.

Comment

I've run with a good 2 1/2" lift with 33" tires on a narrow track CJ7.... you *might occasionally* rub just a little on full articulation, but I think I'd rather rub occasionall than to lift the center of gravity higher.

-Mel

Comment

Mel,

What lift are you using and what 33" tire? When you say narrow track, do you mean pre-1976? I am not knowledgeable enough to know if they made them after that... Need more research into the CJ history I guess.

Comment

i've got 33x12.50 bfg mt's with a 3" body lift and they only rub the fenderflares on major articulatoin

Comment

Working...
              X