Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's difference in suspension from 75 CJ to 76 & newer?

I'm looking at the 75 CJ5 in the for sale section & noticed that the 75's take many different parts than the new CJ's. My goal would be to go with a 3 or 4 link rear suspension, so that end doesn't matter, but I'd planned on using 1.5" or 2.5" lift leaf springs & then going SOA on the front.

I noticed that there were far fewer lifts listed & not many accessories. Idealy, I'd go with the 4wd 2.5" front springs & revolver shackles...maybe fab up my owner shackle reversal.

So, can anybody tell me the primary differences?

Also anybody know if 4wd Hardware will sell just the front leaf springs, U-bolts, & bushings from their 2.5" kit?

Any big differences in steering that would rule out an SOA?

The primary difference is that the springs on the pre-76 CJ5 are smaller in width. Therefore you have a smaller spring hanger, etc... therefore I don't believe revolvers are listed for them... that doesnt mean that you cant upgrade to wider springs, you just have to get new spring hangers, etc.

-Mel

Comment

Yeah if you buy the 75 or earlier Jeeps, your going to have to look quite a bit to get most of the aftermarket parts. Most of the stuff is listed 76' and up. I ended up haveing to customize most of my mods. The spring difference sounds about right.

Comment

73 - 74 - 75 have a dana 44 flanged axel in the back the only years till the mid 80's all others had the taper axel in them

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz401
          73 - 74 - 75 have a dana 44 flanged axel in the back the only years till the mid 80's all others had the taper axel in them
          Is that flanged axle a good thing or a bad thing?

I'm looking into the laws in WV, but with it being that old, I might be able to run Antique plates on it, which exempts it from inspection.

That is if I can pull the $$$ to get it.

Comment

thats the same rear that I put into my 78 cj

flanged are a good thing
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1/103_0328.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz401
              thats the same rear that I put into my 78 cj

flanged are a good thing
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1/103_0328.jpg
              Hey, what company made that tub? Doesn't look like a 4WDHardware tub to me. LOL

Comment

AJ delex tub

Comment

Working...
                X